Anthony Lynn extended

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
So what are you going to say when Tyrod is mediocre at best, like he's been his entire career, and the Deanos get exposed as the terrible organization they truly are without "Spaz" keeping them vaguely competitive?
With all due respect, I don’t think 5-11 is even “vaguely competitive“

Spaz set the bar so low this past year, Tyrod should have no problem improving on that record.

But if Tyrod doesn’t....I think it will be a lot easier for Lynn to yank Tyrod and stick the rookie in.

Lynn couldn’t do that with Rivers last year due to Rivers stature and tenure.. Lynn will no longer be handcuffed by that which is in the best interest of the team.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I’d be willing to bet they take a cb or a rb just so they don’t have to spend grandma’s hard earned money
It's all prefixed into the draft slot.

The benefit comes in a minimum contract of four years and an option for year five, making annual salary on club about $8.5 million per year.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
With all due respect, I don’t think 5-11 is even “vaguely competitive“

Spaz set the bar so low this past year, Tyrod should have no problem improving on that record.

But if Tyrod doesn’t....I think it will be a lot easier for Lynn to yank Tyrod and stick the rookie in.

Lynn couldn’t do that with Rivers last year due to Rivers stature and tenure.. Lynn will no longer be handcuffed by that which is in the best interest of the team.
Tyrod is a spot starter quarterback, he'll win a few games with his legs.
But as a starter, 8-8* would be a reach.

(*Possibly soon to change to 8-9 per any CBA deal)

Odd but so sad....:)
Lynn couldn’t do that with Rivers last year due to Rivers stature and tenure..Lynn will no longer be handcuffed by that which is in the best interest of the team.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
It's all prefixed into the draft slot.

The benefit comes in a minimum contract of four years and an option for year five, making annual salary on club about $8.5 million per year.
right. But a qb is going to command big money in year 5. Fudeans are never going to bite in that

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
wasn’t Rivers last deal more than Brady’s?

Without Rivers, I bet they improve on 5-11.

If they keep Spaz....all bets are off.
I thought there was a time when Phil was the highest paid qb. Seems like Brady was always restructuring so he might be getting paid until 2050

and way to go out on limb for the FUdeans. I think they’ll improve to the high bar of mediocrity

Reactions: cocasts

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
I thought there was a time when Phil was the highest paid qb.
There probably was...but not because he was ever considered the best QB in the league...
(Phil never dominated, like Fouts did) it's just that the most recent signings
--even of those just above journeyman status--
tend to make lots of guys "highest paid" for a weekend...

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
I think we’ve lost the point. Someone said if they are fortunate enough to land an elite QB in this draft, the FUDeans will release him after 4 years because they are too stingy to pay up for an extended contract.

Rivers proves that’s not true. End of story.

Reactions: wrbanwal

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Someone said if they are fortunate enough to land an elite QB in this draft,
the FUDeans will release him after 4 years because they are too stingy to pay up for an extended contract.

Well, it proves that Alex Spanos' San Diego Chargers would do that for Rivers in 2009.
Does that guarantee that dean spanos' Los Angeles Chargers would do that in 2025?

I don't know. They do have an "on the cheap" mentality...but they've made exceptions, at times.
At the end of the day, it isn't always easy to predict what clueless, nepotistic decision-makers will do.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think we’ve lost the point. Someone said if they are fortunate enough to land an elite QB in this draft, the FUDeans will release him after 4 years because they are too stingy to pay up for an extended contract.

Well, it proves that Alex Spanos' San Diego Chargers would do that for Rivers in 2009.
Does that guarantee that dean spanos' Los Angeles Chargers would do that in 2025?

I don't know. They do have an "on the cheap" mentality...but they've made exceptions, at times.
At the end of the day, it isn't always easy to predict what clueless, nepotistic decision-makers will do.
That is only half the story, ie player contracts and what they have or have not been willing to do in the past. The other is paying coaches and GM's and going out and making sure they steal the very best coaches and GM's from other teams when there is competition each year for filling those positions. In the case of Andy Reid they went and delayed til Telesco was inked and by that time KC had already made sure he wouldn't be looking to go to his preferred locale of SD. KC did that with a lucrative contract offer PLUS allowed Reid his own choice of GM. In the case of Rat Jr., a guy in huge demand after having been the so-called offensive guru with his dad's pedigree, they let SF do the bidding and SF even allowed the guy to bring in his own GM, John Lynch, whereas the hapless spanii delayed and got the last guy on the list Anthony Lynn.....had to be a bottom dollar contract....HAD to be. And of course there was no say by the HC in making sure he had leverage in player personnel decisions by selecting his own GM.....JohnnyBoy will be overseeing everthing,,,not just the GM but the HC as well. Great gig for a tomato can coach. They will NEVER ever be able to hire a top flight elite HC or GM. Chug away! "CHUG, CHUG, CHUG, CHUG!!!!!!!!!"

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

Rivers wanted to stay here (eg. San Diego). No future QB will have such loyalty.
Can you think of a current (young/good) QB that wants to come to LA?
If the ones in trouble, eg. Matt Trubisky, don't clamor for a Spanni flight ticket.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Rivers wanted to stay here (eg. San Diego). No future QB will have such loyalty.
Can you think of a current (young/good) QB that wants to come to LA?
If the ones in trouble, eg. Matt Trubisky, don't clamor for a Spanni flight ticket.
Every young QB or player, for that matter, would be thrilled to come to LA.

First of all, unless they grew up in SD, they are oblivious to the move and couldn't give two shits.

Secondly, they would get to play in the best new stadium in the NFL.

And a QB drafted? He would get the keys to a franchise for the next 15 years if he's elite.

Look, I hate FUDean as much as anybody but the above are facts.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Every young QB or player, for that matter, would be thrilled to come to LA.

First of all, unless they grew up in SD, they are oblivious to the move and couldn't give two shits.

Secondly, they would get to play in the best new stadium in the NFL.

And a QB drafted? He would get the keys to a franchise for the next 15 years if he's elite.

Look, I hate FUDean as much as anybody but the above are facts.
I think you are homering too much still. You aren't giving enough emphasis to 2 major factors which repel players from going to the Chuggers.
1. The Spanos reputation. No need to say more about that. 2. Big deal if you play in a new stadium if 80% of the fans are for the other team. That is huge and no player wants to participate in a shit show like that, soccer stadium or huge new stadium. THOSE are facts.

Reactions: handoverfist

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I think you are homering too much still. You aren't giving enough emphasis to 2 major factors which repel players from going to the Chuggers.
1. The Spanos reputation. No need to say more about that. 2. Big deal if you play in a new stadium if 80% of the fans are for the other team. That is huge and no player wants to participate in a shit show like that, soccer stadium or huge new stadium. THOSE are facts.
3.The spanos clan being committed to paying top tier money for free agents.

4. if Jax is having financial difficulty, add on paying relocation fees and you have the chuggers situation.

Reactions: Gill Man

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Nonsense. Salary caps mean every team has the same amount they have to spend and they do spend.

Most young players are 10,000 percent more interested in poontang than Spanos reputation and damn well sure LA girls are more attractive than inbred missing teeth Tennessee fat lasses.

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
right. But a qb is going to command big money in year 5. Fudeans are never going to bite in that
The last Charger QB to start/last four straight years...?

Rivers...okay...back to Brees....we know how those two worked out.

Leaf......And he was ranked very high.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
The last Charger QB to start/last four straight years...?

Rivers...okay...back to Brees....we know how those two worked out.

Leaf......And he was ranked very high.
Was Leaf a back to back academic all-american like Herbert?

nope...neither was Spaz.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Was Leaf a back to back academic all-american like Herbert?

nope...neither was Spaz.
Here's who I compare Herbert to.

Bench pressed 405 pounds and at the NFL Scouting Combine put together 23 bench reps of 225 pounds.
“Teams and scouts have fallen in love with ——-'s size, arm, mobility and intangibles.”

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen rated ——- as the No. 1 quarterback.

———- was named a team captain the past three seasons at Vanderbilt.

Held school records with 9,953 yards in offense, 59 passing touchdowns and 167 consecutive passes without an interception.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
Here's who I compare Herbert to.

Bench pressed 405 pounds and at the NFL Scouting Combine put together 23 bench reps of 225 pounds.
“Teams and scouts have fallen in love with ——-'s size, arm, mobility and intangibles.”

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen rated ——- as the No. 1 quarterback.

———- was named a team captain the past three seasons at Vanderbilt.

Held school records with 9,953 yards in offense, 59 passing touchdowns and 167 consecutive passes without an interception.
Cutler didn’t earn back to back academic all Americans either.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Who cares. The fudeans could would will find a way to fuck up a wet dream

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Cutler didn’t earn back to back academic all Americans either.

If Herbert is a real academic all American, he won't sign with the Chuggers.

You're smart, you prove you're smart.

Following in a rich family tradition of quarterbacks with academic genius and athletic supremacy, Eli Manning has maintained a rigorous academic ledger while establishing himself as one of the nation's elite at his position.

A Second Team Academic All-America selection in 2002, Manning has earned Academic All-Southeastern Conference honors three times and First Team Academic All-District VI honors twice. Listed in Who's Who Among American Universities and Colleges, he is a member of the Chancellor's, Dean's and UMAA Honor Rolls.

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee
Nonsense. Salary caps mean every team has the same amount they have to spend and they do spend.

Most young players are 10,000 percent more interested in poontang than Spanos reputation and damn well sure LA girls are more attractive than inbred missing teeth Tennessee fat lasses.
Yeah, that's why famous people keep abandoning California to move here. Running away from your dumbass Democrat tax policies.

Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. And there's no shortage of women there, I can assure you.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah, that's why famous people keep abandoning California to move here. Running away from your dumbass Democrat tax policies.

Nashville is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. And there's no shortage of women there, I can assure you.
I have to agree about Midwestern/Southern women. In a March Madness bracket, I would seed them up near the top. L.A. women wouldn't even make the N.I.T.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

Cali bashing. the 5th largest economy in the world. LeBron....Leonard...Kroenke...
best scientists in the United States....all Cali Power.

California now world’s 5th largest economy, surpassing UK
Jonathan J. Cooper
Associated Press 2018

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – California’s economy has surpassed that of the United Kingdom to become the world’s fifth largest, according to new federal data made public Friday.
California’s gross domestic product rose by $127 billion from 2016 to 2017, surpassing $2.7 trillion, the data said. Meanwhile, the UK’s economic output slightly shrunk over that time when measured in U.S. dollars, due in part to exchange rate fluctuations.
The data demonstrate the sheer immensity of California’s economy, home to nearly 40 million people, a thriving technology sector in Silicon Valley, the world’s entertainment capital in Hollywood and the nation’s salad bowl in the Central Valley agricultural heartland. It also reflects a substantial turnaround since the Great Recession.
“We have the entrepreneurial spirit in the state, and that attracts a lot of talent and money,” said Sung Won Sohn, an economics professor at California State University Channel Islands. “And that’s why, despite high taxes and cumbersome government regulations, more people are coming into the state to join the parade.”

All economic sectors except agriculture contributed to California’s higher GDP, said Irena Asmundson, chief economist at the California Department of Finance. Financial services and real estate led the pack at $26 billion in growth, followed by the information sector, which includes many technology companies, at $20 billion. Manufacturing was up $10 billion.
California last had the world’s fifth largest economy in 2002 but fell as low as 10th in 2012 following the Great Recession. Since then, the largest U.S. state has added 2 million jobs and grown its GDP by $700 billion.
California’s economic output is now surpassed only by the total GDP of the United States, China, Japan and Germany. The state has 12 percent of the U.S. population but contributed 16 percent of the country’s job growth between 2012 and 2017. Its share of the national economy also grew from 12.8 percent to 14.2 percent over that five-year period, according to state economists.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011

The single biggest reason residents move from California is the same now as it's been for the last 80 years.

The high cost of living.

The single biggest reason any place is expensive to live? Everybody wants to live there.

Anyone who knows the slightest bit about real estate knows this: "Location, location, location."

(I'm sympathetic though: If I lived in Tennessee, I'd probably choose to believe any bullshit "explanation" too...as my kid asked: "Daddy, what's beachfront property?")