Andy Green dismissed

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So no interim manager named yet? I’m assuming Rod Barajas will manage until season’s end.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Barajas will be interim. Hopefully will have a chance at the head jib as he's a former player and has had success managing. More importantly, he's respected by the players.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Barajas will be interim. Hopefully will have a chance at the head jib as he's a former player and has had success managing. More importantly, he's respected by the players.
I’d much rather they go after Joe Maddon, who reportedly will be available.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Ahem:

Green, hired to his first managerial job before the 2016 season, has been one of the chief personnel decision makers in what has been a massive rebuild. It could be argued he was more of a player development coordinator than a major league manager.”

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Never was a fan.

Name one player that got better under his regime?

Plus, his in game decisions sucked.

His sole job was to make the players better. Not one player got better in the 4 years he was manager.

He was lucky to be employed this long.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
There is hope yet!

No to Bochy. Get some young blood in here, just not something as uninspiring as Green.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Like the idea of Maddon if he's available. Pretty inevitable that Green was let go given the lack of any competitiveness after the all star break. Glad he's gone....not enough fire/emotion/leadership/motivation. Also would like a veteran in there. Team is way underperforming. And interesing part about Green having been give such control over player personnel decisions. Wonder how much he influenced the release of locker room and fan favorite La Mole??? Dude should be fired just for that move if it was on him. Good riddance. Next.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Like the idea of Maddon if he's available. Pretty inevitable that Green was let go given the lack of any competitiveness after the all star break. Glad he's gone....not enough fire/emotion/leadership/motivation. Also would like a veteran in there. Team is way underperforming. And interesing part about Green having been give such control over player personnel decisions. Wonder how much he influenced the release of locker room and fan favorite La Mole??? Dude should be fired just for that move if it was on him. Good riddance. Next.
IIRC (and this is going off of what Dennis Lin/Kevin Acee have said during interviews), this is how it works with the Padres: Preller has control of personnel decisions, as any GM would. Managers in general now don't even have much say in the lineup decisions but there are still a handful of managers who do, and Andy Green was one of the few who had more say in this, though it's still mostly driven by analytics.

Preller made the move to dump Franimal. Who knows how Green was in the locker room but from an outsider's perspective, he sure didn't seem to inspire a lot of confidence or leadership.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
IIRC (and this is going off of what Dennis Lin/Kevin Acee have said during interviews), this is how it works with the Padres: Preller has control of personnel decisions, as any GM would. Managers in general now don't even have much say in the lineup decisions but there are still a handful of managers who do, and Andy Green was one of the few who had more say in this, though it's still mostly driven by analytics.

Preller made the move to dump Franimal. Who knows how Green was in the locker room but from an outsider's perspective, he sure didn't seem to inspire a lot of confidence or leadership.
If managers don’t have much say in lineup decisions why the hell do we even need them? And if this is true, how is that better now?

Reactions: Gill Man

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
If managers don’t have much say in lineup decisions why the hell do we even need them? And if this is true, how is that better now?
The way baseball is now, I agree.

Maybe this will be another job lost to automation. :p

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Can’t we automate home plate umpires first? Then we can talk about managers.
It's unreal how many replays show them being wrong in calling balls and strikes. The camera does not lie.....the strike zone is right there for all to see. Some are so blatantly obvious miscalls that it embarrases the league ...not good. Of course then that leads to replay and we know how badly that's ruined football. Probably best to not show the replays lolz.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Ahem:

Green, hired to his first managerial job before the 2016 season, has been one of the chief personnel decision makers in what has been a massive rebuild. It could be argued he was more of a player development coordinator than a major league manager.”

So I just wanted to point out that maybe Green WAS the architect of the schizophrenic call ups, we know he made the lineups, so maybe it was Green’s fault and not the GM.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
So I just wanted to point out that maybe Green WAS the architect of the schizophrenic call ups, we know he made the lineups, so maybe it was Green’s fault and not the GM.
Hmm, that contradicts what Acee said earlier this year.

But if that's so then good riddance!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Managers are already boring robots. Leave the umps as human beings. If we couldn't boo the umps, baseball would be a lot more boring.
We’d still have them to boo, I’m just talking balls and strikes. Still would need one to call safe and out at the plate.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Ahem:

Thanks for the link. If what Acee said is true, Green should have been canned last year.

However, it is Acee, and it is hard to believe much of Acee's reporting because so much of it always seems to be holding back key information.

Why did Acee report this? "That reality became a source of consternation for some veteran players, who were frustrated with losing and not always understanding of the limitations placed on Green due to the abundance of young players promoted from the minor leagues to develop while playing in the majors."

According to Acee, Green was putting limitations on himself? If that were true, it would make sense that the veteran players weren't always understanding. Why would anybody understand that, especially when so few players were given consistent chances to develop in the majors?

I have been asking all season who has been calling the shots, and nobody has a real answer. My guess is the Padres have nobody specifically setting the vision or pushing us toward any kind of goal. We made zero growth this year.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Thanks for the link. If what Acee said is true, Green should have been canned last year.

However, it is Acee, and it is hard to believe much of Acee's reporting because so much of it always seems to be holding back key information.

Why did Acee report this, "That reality became a source of consternation for some veteran players, who were frustrated with losing and not always understanding of the limitations placed on Green due to the abundance of young players promoted from the minor leagues to develop while playing in the majors,"?

So, according to Acee, Green was putting limitations on himself?
It is confusing. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I think Green had major input but Preller expected Green to toe the line when asked to. That’s what got Green fired. I guess we can give Green credit for not being a complete ass kisser.

It’s now all on Preller. We will see, if he can get Bochy, Maddon (he’s the Cubs current manager) or Girardi I will give him major credit. If he hires a Norv he’s on his own.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
It is confusing. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I think Green had major input but Preller expected Green to toe the line when asked to. That’s what got Green fired. I guess we can give Green credit for not being a complete ass kisser.

It’s now all on Preller. We will see, if he can get Bochy, Maddon (he’s the Cubs current manager) or Girardi I will give him major credit. If he hires a Norv he’s on his own.
What is the line Preller asked Green to toe?

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Now THERE's a great idea,,,,let's bring in NORB!!!!!!!!! lolz.