All Signs Point to Mahomes going on a Tom Brady-like Run with the Chiefs

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
I didn't see it live, but last night the news showed Mahomes catch a coors light from a fan and chug it. It was cool.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/epic-video-patrick-mahomes-super-bowl-going-viral/amp

Not the video I saw on national news, but you can see the beer being thrown from the crowd.

I must know my beer cans I called it when I saw him catch it lol. Turns out coors gave a shout out on social media.

That right there better be next year's coors light comercial.

Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I didn't see it live, but last night the news showed Mahomes catch a coors light from a fan and chug it. It was cool.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/epic-video-patrick-mahomes-super-bowl-going-viral/amp

Not the video I saw on national news, but you can see the beer being thrown from the crowd.

I must know my beer cans I called it when I saw him catch it lol. Turns out coors gave a shout out on social media.

That right there better be next year's coors light comercial.
Anyone could of caught that beer can. What about the beer thrower? Perfect aim. Probably dropped in right into Mahomes' hands. Coors should be embarrassed taking the risk their beer might be fumbled after a perfect toss.

Your Chain.

409511BD-9C57-42ED-8968-8292BF01EFC1.jpeg

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...

Anyone could of caught that beer can. What about the beer thrower? Perfect aim. Probably dropped in right into Mahomes' hands. Coors should be embarrassed taking the risk their beer might be fumble after a perfect toss.

Chainny
"The littering! Oh, the humanity!!! Alex Smith would have never desecrated the sacred asphalt of the great state of Kansas!"

CC

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Anyone could of caught that beer can. What about the beer thrower? Perfect aim. Probably dropped in right into Mahomes' hands. Coors should be embarrassed taking the risk their beer might be fumble after a perfect toss.

View attachment 7147
I agree it's just catching a beer can no big deal. But I stand by what I said it was cool and SHOULD be featured in a Coors commercial. And I'm not Coors drinker, but my taste isn't much more exotic as I'm on miller high life since Anheiser sold out to Belgium. I'd still drink Busch if the price didn't suddenly equal out to budwieser prices. A 30 pack shouldn't cost more than 15 bucks.

I digress. I looked for the video I saw originally, which was from way left of that video and pretty much directly on with Patrick and it looked so natural.

*Like dude, beer me*

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
There is something that seems to be a theme or pattern re: incredibly and uniquely gifted QB's like Pat Mahomes and Russell Wilson. Those 2 QB's and perhaps along with Lamar Jackson as well, were the types of QB's the really tough D's had the most difficulty with this season and in particular in the playoffs. Take the dominating SF D which featured an absolutely relentless unstoppable pass rush. Well, they were defeated by Russell Wilson twice in the season (if you take away the refs forgetting to review and call an obvious PI at the end of the game on SF which would essentially have given the 'Hawks a new set of downs and likely the game from the 1 yard line in week 17), and in both those games the Seahawks went on a tear in the 2nd half and in particular the 4th qtr to close the gap and win. Mahomes did the same to that D in the SB in the 4th qtr. By time the 4th qtr rolled around the Niner D looked so gassed it was a mere mortal defense that had difficulty not only getting to Mahomes but as a fallout from that fact, had difficulty staying with receivers. Blowout in the 4th qtr 21-0. Mahomes similarly defeated both strong D's of HOU and TENN with fierce comebacks after falling behind early. Lamar Jackson made the SF D look silly all game long and it took a very high scoring SF offense against the BAL D just to stay in the game.

The point I guess I'm making is that even though teams can go out and build what looks like an unbeatable D and a very very good offense, if you can acquire a unique QB with smarts and the mobility and athleticism of a Mahomes, Wilson, or Jackson, you can generally go head to head with those teams and more often than not will end up beating them in the 4th qtr if you just hang close. The 4th qtr is when those D's get gassed by the great QB's that will now be what teams prize above all else. The problem becomes, for the Chiefs and others is how you pay a QB like that what he's worth and keep a half decent team around the guy given the cap restrictions. After year 4 it's probably gonna be tough to build or maintain a complete team so either pay the QB or find a new one that comes with a lower price tag. But finding another one is sort of like winning the lottery, your odds are slim to none....you gotta be in the right slot at the right time in the draft when they DO come around, which ain't often. (BTW this is what makes what Pete Carroll has been able to do with the Seahawks AND keep Russell Wilson, a pretty unbelievable accomplishment. If fully healthy this year they win the NFC West hands down, they were at best half a team with one hand tied behind their back most of the year)

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
There is something that seems to be a theme or pattern re: incredibly and uniquely gifted QB's like Pat Mahomes and Russell Wilson. Those 2 QB's and perhaps along with Lamar Jackson as well, were the types of QB's the really tough D's had the most difficulty with this season and in particular in the playoffs. Take the dominating SF D which featured an absolutely relentless unstoppable pass rush. Well, they were defeated by Russell Wilson twice in the season (if you take away the refs forgetting to review and call an obvious PI at the end of the game on SF which would essentially have given the 'Hawks a new set of downs and likely the game from the 1 yard line in week 17), and in both those games the Seahawks went on a tear in the 2nd half and in particular the 4th qtr to close the gap and win. Mahomes did the same to that D in the SB in the 4th qtr. By time the 4th qtr rolled around the Niner D looked so gassed it was a mere mortal defense that had difficulty not only getting to Mahomes but as a fallout from that fact, had difficulty staying with receivers. Blowout in the 4th qtr 21-0. Mahomes similarly defeated both strong D's of HOU and TENN with fierce comebacks after falling behind early. Lamar Jackson made the SF D look silly all game long and it took a very high scoring SF offense against the BAL D just to stay in the game.

The point I guess I'm making is that even though teams can go out and build what looks like an unbeatable D and a very very good offense, if you can acquire a unique QB with smarts and the mobility and athleticism of a Mahomes, Wilson, or Jackson, you can generally go head to head with those teams and more often than not will end up beating them in the 4th qtr if you just hang close. The 4th qtr is when those D's get gassed by the great QB's that will now be what teams prize above all else. The problem becomes, for the Chiefs and others is how you pay a QB like that what he's worth and keep a half decent team around the guy given the cap restrictions. After year 4 it's probably gonna be tough to build or maintain a complete team so either pay the QB or find a new one that comes with a lower price tag. But finding another one is sort of like winning the lottery, your odds are slim to none....you gotta be in the right slot at the right time in the draft when they DO come around, which ain't often.
The Cardinals had an extremely talented QB this year and got beat more often than they won. It takes way more than a single player to win a team game.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The Cardinals had an extremely talented QB this year and got beat more often than they won. It takes way more than a single player to win a team game.
Oh no doubt. It takes also a HC who knows how to build a complete team along with the GM, and it takes damn good players all around that QB. Look at the Seahawks and Chiefs....2 very complete teams. Niners are a complete team. Most are pretenders by comparison. I thought the Titans were a damn good complete team too with a great HC in Vrabl. But the QB's of the future will be athletes and mobile and multitalented....at least the great ones will be IMO. JimmyG may or may not be a Lombardi winner. He choked that game when it counted. He is still obviously very young so maybe he overcomes the rap that he is prone to the mistake throws. At least he has a good coach in Rat Jr., if not a dirty little Rat Jr. LMAO.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The complete teams in the SB hunt all had a great HC/GM tandem working together. Andy Reid was allowed to select his own GM in KC. Shanahan Jr. was allowed to select his own GM in SF. I believe Carroll , if he didn't select the GM, is fully in sync with the GM in SEA....there is no ego trip or power struggle in those relationships as we always saw with the chuggers in SD. Spanos doesn't know jack when it comes to putting together a front office. He'd rather his sons, as dumb as they are, run the show. They will NEVER win a Lombardi or come close as long as that owner is there. Archie Manning saw the obvious incompetence of the spanii and wouldn't let his son go near that dumpster fire. Drew Brees can thank his lucky stars things worked out for him such that he was able to get the hell out of the grasp of the spanii for most of his illustrious career.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The complete teams in the SB hunt all had a great HC/GM tandem working together. Andy Reid was allowed to select his own GM in KC. Shanahan Jr. was allowed to select his own GM in SF. I believe Carroll , if he didn't select the GM, is fully in sync with the GM in SEA....there is no ego trip or power struggle in those relationships as we always saw with the chuggers in SD. Spanos doesn't know jack when it comes to putting together a front office. He'd rather his sons, as dumb as they are, run the show. They will NEVER win a Lombardi or come close as long as that owner is there. Archie Manning saw the obvious incompetence of the spanii and wouldn't let his son go near that dumpster fire. Drew Brees can thank his lucky stars things worked out for him such that he was able to get the hell out of the grasp of the spanii for most of his illustrious career.
I think Carroll chose the GM and is the GM’s boss.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think Carroll chose the GM and is the GM’s boss.
I would not doubt that. Just the opposite of the clownshow spanii setup where everyone answers to johnnyboy the dunce.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I would not doubt that. Just the opposite of the clownshow spanii setup where everyone answers to johnnyboy the dunce.
I think this is the way it should be. College football is setup in this fashion, the head coach is in charge of the whole program, from recruiting to planning to coaching to execution. The GM should work to give the coach the players he wants.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think this is the way it should be. College football is setup in this fashion, the head coach is in charge of the whole program, from recruiting to planning to coaching to execution. The GM should work to give the coach the players he wants.
plus the GM should have a modicum of NFL football pedigree and work his/her way up the ladder thru various organizations and positions leading up to the pinnacle job rather than having it handed to him with his high school football background at Bishops High. JohnnyBoy is a know nothing.....a wanna be pretender and that's the way most spanos hires are made. Norb was a pretender HC. aj was a pretender GM. McCoy was both a pretender OC and HC. It never ends. I believe Lynn is a pretender HC....should be a RB coach. MAYBE someday if he works real hard be an OC.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri

The point I guess I'm making is that even though teams can go out and build what looks like an unbeatable D and a very very good offense, if you can acquire a unique QB with smarts and the mobility and athleticism of a Mahomes, Wilson, or Jackson, you can generally go head to head with those teams and more often than not will end up beating them in the 4th qtr if you just hang close. The 4th qtr is when those D's get gassed by the great QB's that will now be what teams prize above all else. The problem becomes, for the Chiefs and others is how you pay a QB like that what he's worth and keep a half decent team around the guy given the cap restrictions. After year 4 it's probably gonna be tough to build or maintain a complete team so either pay the QB or find a new one that comes with a lower price tag. But finding another one is sort of like winning the lottery, your odds are slim to none....you gotta be in the right slot at the right time in the draft when they DO come around, which ain't often. (BTW this is what makes what Pete Carroll has been able to do with the Seahawks AND keep Russell Wilson, a pretty unbelievable accomplishment. If fully healthy this year they win the NFC West hands down, they were at best half a team with one hand tied behind their back most of the year)
Great modern QB's take pay cuts to fuel the roster.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
if you trace back, the decline of the Chargers started when Dean’s son took over head of scouting.
Exactly right. He was the understudy to aj smith who got the job by default when Butler kicked the bucket. So one guy who was never qualified to be a true GM teaching another kid who never should have been in the NFL to begin with, and you have a clown car of an organization. The problem is the nepotism and the fact that the spanii are never comfortable working with anyone that either isn't in the family or that kisses their asses all day long and can't tell them they are full of schit re: football knowledge and to stay the eff out of the way. Any good HC would not put up with it. The good HC's who made it far this year are either working with GM's they hand selected or those GM's are not on a level above the HC but work side by side in a mutually beneficial relationship where egos are put to the side for the good of the ballclub. The great HC's of the league are actually better talent evaluators than the GM's that work with them because they not only coach football but they know what suits their system the best. The lousy HC's are the ones that are not the best talent evaluators and don't have enough clout to make sure their opinion takes precedence on draft day. There were rumors norb wasn't even allowed in the war room on draft day LOL.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I say, appoint Johnnie Boy the GM and cut Telescope.

Save money.
might as well, Telescope is just another yes man in the chain of command. If the team fails they will start with the OC, the DC, the HC then Telescope. Just like the old Niners under Harbaugh when things went to hell and got dysfunctional. They started by blaming Greg Roman. Went up the ladder to Harbaugh then Baalke. Fortunately for them the owner figured out they'd better spend on the most in demand HC and let him bring in his own GM. It took 2 years to get to the SB once they figured out how stupid they'd been. Spanos doesn't have the common sense or intellect or business sense to ever admit his whole blueprint for the organization is a non starter.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Anyone makes sense of this third part resale information? Sans PSL I'll presume. Just the ticket but that makes no sense.

anyone paying those kinds of prices to see an outhouse team makes no sense. anyone shelling out anything including money for merchandise , etc, makes no sense when the owner is incapable of winning a Lombardi.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
anyone paying those kinds of prices to see an outhouse team makes no sense. anyone shelling out anything including money for merchandise , etc, makes no sense when the owner is incapable of winning a Lombardi.
Read this “statement” from Tweeldedum and see how screwed up
The two boys and big daddy are..for years now.

730BD773-69FB-4408-8EE5-6C9EF9FE8A4B.jpeg

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

View attachment 7150
LMAO....those 3 dumbasses are, have always been , and always will be in denial about the REAL reason they are not competitive. Look in the mirror you 3 fucking blind assholes!

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...

View attachment 7150
It's a very serious statement:

First, try to overlook the fact that "potential" is the single most brutal word in NFL history.

Second: The message is clear: RESULTS MATTER!! (unless you're lucky enough to have a last name than ends in "...panos"

• Haha

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
What if Bradee went on a Mahomes-like run?
:eek: It's quite possible.....rumors are that Brady will work out a deal with NE and in return for taking as usual a cap friendly contract, it will stipulate that NE signs TE and WR, etc. FA's from a list that will put them back right in the hunt for a Lombardi next year. Hunter Henry and another TE are on the list and also Amari Cooper and Chris Hogan etc are on the list for WR's. He understands he has to require certain things to get back to the SB and win it. One is to be with an organization that know exactly how to win and the other is to work WITH the organization in terms of cap space to allow them to put great talent where he needs it to be.

BTW 2 of his biggest NE fans are Ben Affleck and Matt Damon and there was an article yesterday how they keep pestering him about where he is playing next year. He's not telling them but it's pretty obvious he's not going to disappoint all his bigtime and big name friends there who have supported him for a couple of decades. He will continue his legacy there and that is by far his smartest move. Would be absolutely career suicide to go play for another team that cannot win or goes thru the motions every year. Montana went out with the Chefs who were bumbling at the time. Would have been much better had he just retired in SF. But Steve Young was there so for the Niners it was a no brainer. NE doesn't have the backup now. Someone said Andy Dalton would be a possible replacement for Brady if he does leave LMAO.

Last edited: