All Signs Point to Mahomes going on a Tom Brady-like Run with the Chiefs

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Mahomes is the new Brady? So he cheats? There is zero video evidence he ever did anything great? (That isn't true. In the limited I action I saw Mahomes in last year, he had at least 5 or 6 moments of greatness. I assume there are far more great moments in his career I haven't seen.) Mahomes receivers generally take about a second to be wide open? Mahomes never has to worry about being hit? Every time he is touched when he is anywhere close to sliding, a roughing call is made?

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Somehow, these injuries keep popping up...
He took a major hit on a run in that game and bounced right up. On another his arm got dinged bad but he came right back. That may be the one thing that could shorten his career. That stuff is understandable in the SB. In the regular season it’s got to stop. Reid needs to address it.

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
This isn't a Brady-like run. Mahomes doesn't cheat and doesn't get James Harden-esque officiating.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think the combination of Super Bowl adrenaline + being only 24.3 had a lot to do with bouncing right up.
The kid is pretty tough although he took a knee injury this year....came back faster than anyone thought. The toughest running QB was Steve Young....but he sort of knew when to get down and was big enough that when he took major hits he survived....I saw one against the Bears that most RB's etc would be down and out. He bounced right up.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
The kid is pretty tough although he took a knee injury this year....came back faster than anyone thought. The toughest running QB was Steve Young....but he sort of knew when to get down and was big enough that when he took major hits he survived....I saw one against the Bears that most RB's etc would be down and out. He bounced right up.
Hebert can take a lick

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He's going to need to. Rivers was considered to be the best in waiting in the pocket till the last
moment, willing to take a hit.
You must be thinking of the MFIC Harry. Rivers might wait to take the hit but it affected him mentally.....he started getting happy feet. Dan never did that. I bet if you go back and look at River's worst choking games it was when the opposing D started rattling him early on....and it ended up resulting in multiple picks during the course of the game.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
You must be thinking of the MFIC Harry. Rivers might wait to take the hit but it affected him mentally.....he started getting happy feet. Dan never did that. I bet if you go back and look at River's worst choking games it was when the opposing D started rattling him early on....and it ended up resulting in multiple picks during the course of the game.
Because of Gene Klein, Fouts was blessed with Air Corryell which turned the NFL on it’s ear in terms of innovation. Before that he had Bill Walsh.

Who the hell is the Charger OC? And I think the HC thinks we should return to the pre Corryell run first offense.

The Hall of game is a joke without Corryell. It’s blasphemous.

but wait.....we got the Spanii son genius leading the franchise....

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Because of Gene Klein, Fouts was blessed with Air Corryell which turned the NFL on it’s ear in terms of innovation. Before that he had Bill Walsh.

Who the hell is the Charger OC? And I think the HC thinks we should return to the pre Corryell run first offense.

Well no doubt about the spanii and this new HC.....not much to be optimistic about at all. RE: Fouts......I guess he DID have his failures too....mainly in the playoffs. But the guy was cursed with either horrendous luck (Ice Bowl) or horrendous D's that kept him off the field too long. The biggest letdown for me was the AFC Championship they lost at home to the Raiders. Damn that sucked to have to be there and watch it. They got intimidated that day and it never shoulda happened. Then that inexplicable loss to the Pastorweenieless Oilers? What the eff was THAT????? There was something about Bum Phillips stealing our play calls somehow IIRC. Just hard to imagine that offense and Fouts couldn't win a ring on at least one occasion. And yes even with all that Coryell should have been in the HOF years ago if it meant anything......just as a pure innovator and influencer of the modern passing game....the guy is a legend. As some have said the HOF is merely a popularity contest.

Reactions: cocasts

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Because of Gene Klein, the Chargers defense ended up winning Super Bowls for the 49ers, and John Jefferson became a nobody. Because of Gene Klein, the Spanoses bought the team. So, ultimately, because of Gene Klein, my team never won dick but did manage to ditch me for L.A.
Long story, short: Fuck Dean Spanos.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
He can't run so to get 50,000 yards passing, he'd have to be staying in the pocket.

Unless his line was giving him six to seven seconds to throw the ball.
Which means you might be right. :)

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He can't run so to get 50,000 yards passing, he'd have to be staying in the pocket.

Unless his line was giving him six to seven seconds to throw the ball.
Which means you might be right. :)
Yes but a sack into a pile of pillows under today’s rules is different than a head shot from a 300 lb barbell gong like a bat outa hell.;)

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
So snow falling in central MO and it's freezing cold in KC but the snow is keeping people home so we were dead at work and I got to go home in time to watch the Super Bowl Champs parade on local tv. Was the SD welcome parade on tv? I'd imagine not being the nfl wasn't as much of a powerhouse of an entity.

Anyway wow at the turnout. I didn't doubt KC fans would make it there damn the weather. It's how we watched football. So cool for my neighbors and everyone here in little ol' MO.

Pretty cool they are showing 2 different broadcast stations on a split screen. ABC and NBC on fox 22.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Don't go all Chainny on me, Gilly.

:)
I know what you mean!

Yesterday I was typing an explanation for why I don't think Eli deserves to be in the HoF.

But mid-way I remembered that CC had also (more belligerently and obnoxiously, of course) argued hard against Eli. :eek:

Being in agreement with CC on something really stopped me in my tracks!

"If that's what CC thinks, surely I'm wrong!"

But I got past it. Hey, even a CC is (possibly) right twice a day!

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Local news reported 1 million people lining the streets and yeah there's so many that fans have climbed trees to get a view.

Also, I didn't see it or get the full report but a car turned into the parade route and police immediately responded and pinned the car with 2 squad cars. The parade play by play announcers either don't know about it or they are being told to not mention it.

The crowd went nuts when Maholmes rode by and wad drinking a Coors Light. Which makes sense for a guy who loves ketchup on steak. I'm a purist when it comes to my cut of choice the sirloin, only salt, pepper and smoke touches my steak.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
OK Now Andy is marching the Lombardi down the way letting the fans touch it. Wow so much class there I had to stop hating them just because. But that started years ago as I realized the quality of owners and their effect on the team and fans. It wasn't hard considering I was coming off of fanaticism for the worst owner *of anything even the mall kiosk guy* in the Satanos.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Local news reported 1 million people lining the streets and yeah there's so many that fans have climbed trees to get a view.
Good for them!

Even though I waited my whole life for that parade...:oops:

I can still be genuinely happy for other long-suffering fans, who finally got their big day.

(I was in KC one time ~25 years ago on a game day. Everything was red!! Those fans care soooo much)

Kansas City.jpg

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Good for them!

Even though I waited my whole life for that parade...:oops:

I can still be genuinely happy for other long-suffering fans, who finally got their big day.

(I was in KC one time ~25 years ago on a game day. Everything was red!! Those fans care soooo much)

View attachment 7138
Yup, I work sometime is KC, and the fans are every bit a rabid as any others. And genuinely good people, or at least the ones I have encountered are...

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Thank You ThunderHorse17 for sharing the local experience.

Even if I was still a Charger fan, I think I would be a little happy for KC fans for finally winning the big one.....Somehow I look at them differently than I do Raiders and Broncos fans. ..Now that I loathe the LAC TM I couldn't be happier for them!

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
He took a major hit on a run in that game and bounced right up. On another his arm got dinged bad but he came right back. That may be the one thing that could shorten his career. That stuff is understandable in the SB. In the regular season it’s got to stop. Reid needs to address it.
I pretty much watch every Chief game just for Mahomes now. He is pretty smart about avoiding hits. I don't consider him a running QB. He is a mobile QB though. I think the Super Bowl adrenaline got to him.