• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Al Davis has passed

Wow!!! Just heard the news on ESPN. Sad day for the raider nation.
Always enjoyed taking shots at him and his organization but this is a sad day. Condolences to his family. RIP, Al

robdog

Code Monkey
Staff member
Administrator
What the??? Never thought that would happen... Always a sad day when someone dies, even if I didn't really like some of "tactics".

Is it to soon to say, but do we have to start worrying about the Raiders getting good now?

robdog

Code Monkey
Staff member
Administrator
One thing I did respect about the guy is he just didn't give a F about what people thought about him. He stuck it to the league a number of times. Not to many owners had the guts to give the league the finger and do what they wanted.

robdog

Code Monkey
Staff member
Administrator
he held them back, now they are going to get someone in there whos knows a thing or two
You think one of the son going to take over? If so, I do not have any confidence in his sons to make good decisions for that team. Which would be good for us...

ViennaLager

FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers
You think one of the son going to take over? If so, I do not have any confidence in his sons to make good decisions for that team. Which would be good for us...
Al was smart at one time. Perhaps one of his sons could be smart for awhile too. Didn't like the guy at all, but im not happy he passed. The Raiders can finally make some good changes for the org.

B

Buck Melanoma

Sad day for the NFL. Whatever jokes he may have been the butt of, it's hard to argue that anyone did more to advance the game of football than Al. He played a huge part in turning the "upstart" AFL into a legitimate force to be reckoned with by the "superior" NFL. Guys like Hunt needed Al to be the brash, in-your-face guy that he was during those days.

RIP, Al. My condolences to the family.

SDRaiderH8er

Al was smart at one time. Perhaps one of his sons could be smart for awhile too. Didn't like the guy at all, but im not happy he passed. The Raiders can finally make some good changes for the org.
when you played the Raiders, you played Al Davis, it was his personality that made that team. For as much as you never heard much about his kids, it would not surprise me to hear the Raiders were for sale. WHICH would put them right in line for that new Stadium in LA.

ViennaLager

FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers
when you played the Raiders, you played Al Davis, it was his personality that made that team. For as much as you never heard much about his kids, it would not surprise me to hear the Raiders were for sale. WHICH would put them right in line for that new Stadium in LA.
It'll definitely be worth watching whether or not the team goes up for sale, but I would agree it has a good chance.

AEG might be licking their chops right now.

Aggieman

I bleed blue and gold
RIP Al. You might have been the face of a despicable franchise but you earned it pioneering the sport of football into glorious directions. You will be missed.

Blue Bolt

Persona Non Grata
It'll definitely be worth watching whether or not the team goes up for sale, but I would agree it has a good chance.

AEG might be licking their chops right now.
Tim Sullivan's piece today is apropos.......

What we have here is a failure to capitulate.

The National Football League likes Los Angeles, but not enough to take on a partner to manage the money.

Anschutz Entertainment Group wants to expand its L.A. footprint to include a football stadium, but its business model is too byzantine for the NFL’s billionaires.

Perhaps the impasse is impermanent and today’s irreconcilable differences are tomorrow’s bargaining ploys. Perhaps the two parties are on parallel paths that will eventually converge on common ground.
But if you’re a Chargers fan fearful that your team may be on the move, the appearance of friction between the NFL and AEG is more welcome than a quarterback controversy in Denver.

Next to tangible traction on a San Diego stadium deal, the surest way to keep the Bolts in town is to maintain inertia up North. If L.A. is incapable of closing a deal, the Chargers might be marooned at Qualcomm Stadium indefinitely. If that’s more of a temporary reprieve than a long-term solution, it’s more appealing than a convoy of moving vans on Murphy Canyon Road.

“Until there’s a motivated team that’s willing to take on a project itself in L.A., it’s not going to happen,” Chargers spokesman Mark Fabiani said Friday. “You’re not going to have a separate stadium owner and a team.”
If the Raiders are willing to sell, then that changes the ball game entirely.

This brings up two fears to mind.

1. This might mean the Raiders get someone who is actually aware of the outside world in the front office, and start to omprove
2. The Raiders might go up for sale (AEG or Roski might be interested), or at least enter into the Los Angeles race.

Both of which are BAD for chargers fans. Why couldn't they have given him another dose of formaldehyde transfusions so the zombie could continue 'running' things?