• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AAF TV Ratings

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
AAF draws 2.9 million viewers for CBS opener

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/10/aaf-draws-2-9-million-viewers-for-cbs-opener/

The Alliance of American Football drew what should be considered a fairly successful audience for its first game.
Via Sports TV Ratings, the first AAF game, which aired on CBS on Saturday night, ‏averaged 2.913 million viewers between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. Eastern. That’s a far cry from what any NFL game draws, but by the standards of most network television programming on a Saturday night, it was solid.
By way of comparison, the NBA game on ABC drew 2.524 million viewers during that same 9-11 time slot.
For another comparison, last Saturday night on CBS was the NFL Honors awards show, which drew 3.42 million viewers.
The big question facing the AAF, of course, is whether fans were curious to tune in as a one-time thing and will now tune the league out, or whether it can grow that fan base. For the rest of the regular season, the AAF will be on TNT, NFL Network, CBS Sports Network or the streaming B/R Live service, and it’s fair to assume that none of those outlets will ever get 2.9 million viewers for an AAF game.
But if the AAF can top 3 million for its championship game, which airs on CBS in April, that would be a strong indication that the fans are there. And that the AAF will make it to 2020, and maybe beyond.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
I think it's going to be hard to keep up those ratings. There just aren't any name players to draw you in to watch.

They should really do what the XFL is saying they'll do and that's go after college players who have some name value. I hope one day this or some other league can replace college football. The universities make bank on the back of those college players.

I think it's going to be hard to keep up those ratings. There just aren't any name players to draw you in to watch.

They should really do what the XFL is saying they'll do and that's go after college players who have some name value. I hope one day this or some other league can replace college football. The universities make bank on the back of those college players.
Tebow or Johnny Foosball. Either that or start promoting the **** out of certain players. Maybe a reality show? It worked for MMA.

That being said - I hope none of that happens. I like football for the sport. The facts that there isn't a kickoff, that there are fewer commercials, and that there isn't that propaganda over who the greatest of all-time is already makes the AAF better for me. I also love that a lot of players have a connection with the area they play for. It is pretty ******* cool. Even though my team sucked Week 1, it was probably the best time I've had watching football in 5 or 6 years.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Tebow or Johnny Foosball. Either that or start promoting the **** out of certain players. Maybe a reality show? It worked for MMA.

That being said - I hope none of that happens. I like football for the sport. The facts that there isn't a kickoff, that there are fewer commercials, and that there isn't that propaganda over who the greatest of all-time is already makes the AAF better for me. I also love that a lot of players have a connection with the area they play for. It is pretty ******* cool. Even though my team sucked Week 1, it was probably the best time I've had watching football in 5 or 6 years.
Yeah, the game itself was great for all those things you mentioned and don't forget the Sky Judge.

I think it's going to be hard to keep fans interested since if a star does develop, he's just going to take off for the NFL at the first opportunity. And I don't think there will be many stars being produced. It's going to be mainly a bunch of nobodies.

Yeah, the game itself was great for all those things you mentioned and don't forget the Sky Judge.

I think it's going to be hard to keep fans interested since if a star does develop, he's just going to take off for the NFL at the first opportunity. And I don't think there will be many stars being produced. It's going to be mainly a bunch of nobodies.
Yea. We don't want NFL-type stars. That is why I said Tebow. He would be fun to watch and would probably never be an NFL player.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Yeah I'm afraid those ratings will decline pretty quickly. Lack of any name talent will be a big problem. These ratings are because it's new and folks were curious. I'm in that category mostly. I'm not sure I'll be hanging on every piece of Fleet news or identifying bigtime with each player as I did the NFL SD team. Not sure I'll be saving time and planning ahead anticipating the next game every week as I used to. We'll see, maybe I'm wrong but other leagues started the same with good optimistic ratings then fizzled. Now if they ever bring in bigtime ownership money and go after college talent and steal away NFL players, I'm right there. I always loved how the old AFL took on the bad guy NFL and won. Wish that happened again and San Diego was right in the thick of it.

Harryo the K

The AAF will be successful. NFL is a bloated pig of long, boring games of rules and commercials.
Yes, the players skill level is higher, it should be. But the game is terrible, and the owners do whatever they want, to whomever they want. I think the XFL team in LA will be more popular than U know Who.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
The AAF will be successful. NFL is a bloated pig of long, boring games of rules and commercials.
Yes, the players skill level is higher, it should be. But the game is terrible, and the owners do whatever they want, to whomever they want. I think the XFL team in LA will be more popular than U know Who.
LA is a bizarre football town. Too much dilution of the POTENTIAL fanbase by other pro and college teams that are wildly more popular with much more history. Then you have 3 NFL teams competing for one market.....Raiders #1, Rams #2, chuggers waaaaaay in the background almost off the radar. So I would not doubt that the XFL would outdraw the spanii, they already are being outdrawn by soccer teams. And that's when they've been competitive. Imagine when they revert to form like they always do. Comparing AAF to the chuggers is setting the bar very very low. Talent wise no comparison but interest wise and fanbase wise, probably the Fleet will give the chuggers a run for their money as amazing as that sounds. Never shoulda left a dedicated market for one that is diluted with a morass of lukewarm fans that only show up when a team is winning , arrive late, leave early, and even when the Rams went to the SB the town was lukewarm, that sendoff was weak sauce. And then you have the Pats fans outnumbering the Rams fans 10/1 at least at the SB, a home game for the Pats. Lame. Nothing at all compared with the spirit SD showed for their NFL team in 1994 after winning the AFC Championship. So yes, NFL and especially Spanos is a bloated pig.