2023 Padre Season: Don’t Screw it JR., Land of the Rising Or Setting Soto? Good luck in CIN WIL!!! LFGSD!!!!!

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
All of the excuses for not playing Alfaro makes no sense to me, he should’ve been given PH opportunities throughout the playoffs. Not like we had better options. I really feel this was a punishment of some sort. His performance in Winter Ball backs this up.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
All of the excuses for not playing Alfaro makes no sense to me, he should’ve been given PH opportunities throughout the playoffs. Not like we had better options. I really feel this was a punishment of some sort. His performance in Winter Ball backs this up.
yes we can talk about his arm and the new rules etc etc....but that applies to 2023. There was no good reason to not at least let him try come clutch PH opportunities in the playoffs. How many walkoff's did he account for, 5 or more? Without Jorge the Padres probably don't finish ahead of the Gnats or other WC contenders. Just sayin'. Yeah I think you are right , he got in someone's doghouse. No matter what one of the most popular Padre players was just basically dumped. I realize it's not a popularity contest and winning is the goal but chemistry with players and fans is not a minor deal. Watch him start raking for the RedSox and end up an AllStar. That would be just fuckin typical.

Reactions: Fender57

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Nola was spent by the time the Phillies series came around. It was obvious when you watched his play and his dropoff in performance compared to the Mets and Dodgers series. He never handled that kind of workload all season and they decide to burn him to the ground in the playoffs without a single game off lol. Such idiotic management decisions. I can understand if Melvin didn't want to play Campusano since he was a rookie but there was no excuse not to use Alfaro to give Nola a breather.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Nola was spent by the time the Phillies series came around. It was obvious when you watched his play and his dropoff in performance compared to the Mets and Dodgers series. He never handled that kind of workload all season and they decide to burn him to the ground in the playoffs without a single game off lol. Such idiotic management decisions. I can understand if Melvin didn't want to play Campusano since he was a rookie but there was no excuse not to use Alfaro to give Nola a breather.
exactly. And even Campy would have been better than not spelling Nola for ONE GAME. Ridiculous. Melville is on the hot seat for that. Or should be. Got outmanaged. And what makes it really bothersome is he never ever fessed up re: the Hader/Suarez botched decision that cost a game. Never once admitted he might have completely fucked his team over with that decision. And THAT is why I'm gonna be on the guy from here....because I have very little respect or patience with coaches or managers who cannot admit they might be at fault. Not saying there is a direct comparison but Staley cannot admit he screwed up or one of his players did....as in when he blamed the criminal intent hit by Jimmy Derwin on the COLTS ...that was so laughable and told me all I needed to know about Staley's character. Melville not even close to that moronic....but I have a problem with coaches and managers who avoid being up front and open. So therefore this year I'm not gonna give Melville much slack. Do or die for him and Preller and the whole organization. JMHO>

Reactions: Fender57 and TTK

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
exactly. And even Campy would have been better than not spelling Nola for ONE GAME. Ridiculous. Melville is on the hot seat for that. Or should be. Got outmanaged. And what makes it really bothersome is he never ever fessed up re: the Hader/Suarez botched decision that cost a game. Never once admitted he might have completely fucked his team over with that decision. And THAT is why I'm gonna be on the guy from here....because I have very little respect or patience with coaches or managers who cannot admit they might be at fault. Not saying there is a direct comparison but Staley cannot admit he screwed up or one of his players did....as in when he blamed the criminal intent hit by Jimmy Derwin on the COLTS ...that was so laughable and told me all I needed to know about Staley's character. Melville not even close to that moronic....but I have a problem with coaches and managers who avoid being up front and open. So therefore this year I'm not gonna give Melville much slack. Do or die for him and Preller and the whole organization. JMHO>
For me, it's more on Melvin at this point than Preller and despite his mistakes I like Melvin a lot.

I don't agree with a number of his moves but Preller has stacked this team with an insane amount of talent. It's up to the manager now to take that talent and win with it.

Having said all that, Melvin signed a 3-year contract so I would probably expect him to sign an extension sometime this year before he becomes a lame duck.

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
Not only did Melvin not take responsibility for the Suarez/Hader/Aquashit meltdown situation, he doubled down on justifying how it was right. LOL.

Reactions: TTK and Gill Man

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018

if this is true, then we win the ws.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

if this is true, then we win the ws.
well I don't know about that but yeah it would help a great deal to increase our odds :tup: We gotta have more pitching help IMO.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Blaming Melvin....Jorge couldn't play (inflamed knee), his batting would a gift strikeout to Philly's pitching.

Alfaro’s strikeout rate increased by 4% this season and he must have been doing something wrong because it was reported in the postseason by Kevin Acee that he appeared “to have fallen out of favor with some in the front office.”

Perhaps part of the reason he’s fallen out of favor with some in the organization is because he wasn’t able to stay on the field. He was put on the IL in late August with right knee inflammation before coming back in early September. Then when he returned it was clear the Padres didn’t want him behind the plate as the season was winding down (probably due to that right knee) so something was definitely wrong there.

"Nice Trade"
At the arbitration deadline on January 11, 2019, Realmuto agreed to a $5.9 million contract with the Marlins, including bonuses for each All-Star selection, Silver Slugger, and Gold Glove Award. However, in the fall of 2018, Realmuto and his agent had informed the Marlins that he would not sign a long-term contract with the team, and that he anticipated a trade. On February 7, 2019, the Marlins traded Realmuto to the Phillies in exchange for catcher Jorge Alfaro, pitching prospects Sixto Sánchez and Will Stewart, and $250,000 in international bonus slot money. Realmuto replaced Alfaro as the Phillies' starting catcher, with veteran Andrew Knapp serving in the backup role

Last edited:

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
Blaming Melvin....Jorge couldn't play (inflamed knee), his batting would a gift strikeout to Philly's pitching.

Alfaro’s strikeout rate increased by 4% this season and he must have been doing something wrong because it was reported in the postseason by Kevin Acee that he appeared “to have fallen out of favor with some in the front office.”

Perhaps part of the reason he’s fallen out of favor with some in the organization is because he wasn’t able to stay on the field. He was put on the IL in late August with right knee inflammation before coming back in early September. Then when he returned it was clear the Padres didn’t want him behind the plate as the season was winding down (probably due to that right knee) so something was definitely wrong there.

"Nice Trade"
At the arbitration deadline on January 11, 2019, Realmuto agreed to a $5.9 million contract with the Marlins, including bonuses for each All-Star selection, Silver Slugger, and Gold Glove Award. However, in the fall of 2018, Realmuto and his agent had informed the Marlins that he would not sign a long-term contract with the team, and that he anticipated a trade. On February 7, 2019, the Marlins traded Realmuto to the Phillies in exchange for catcher Jorge Alfaro, pitching prospects Sixto Sánchez and Will Stewart, and $250,000 in international bonus slot money. Realmuto replaced Alfaro as the Phillies' starting catcher, with veteran Andrew Knapp serving in the backup role
If he was injured they should’ve kept him off the postseason roster.

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
Melvin wasn't going to leave his buddy off the roster.
But if Jorge was injured as the poster is claiming, then his spot could’ve been taken by Crismatt, who was a better option than Aquashit in that fateful Game 4 where we lost the lead. But Melvin would have probably called on Aquashit anyway.

Either way it was all a bunch of unnecessary clusterfucks. If nothing else, Jorge should have been allowed to pinch hit, his clutch walkoffs during the season earned him as much.

Reactions: TTK and Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Exactly. Why have him on there if you're not going to use him? Hell, even let Stammen put on the uniform then.
you folks would be saying he deserved to be on the playoff roster for what he did during the year (!) Probably there as only to be used if other catchers are injured.

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
you folks would be saying he deserved to be on the playoff roster for what he did during the year (!) Probably there as only to be used if other catchers are injured.
........that he forgot after being Manager of the Year three times.
Lot of good those three awards (BTW, Bud Black got one of those in 2010, the year he choked a division title away in September) did the team. Decisions like leaving off Crismatt for a supposedly injured Alfaro, or if he wasn’t injured then wasting a roster spot on him since they had no intent to use him. And if it were the latter, shame on them, he had seven walkoff hits in the season, that is most definitely worth a pinch hitting spot in one of many crucial moments in the playoffs. Either scenario was not “Manager of the Year” type moves.

Reactions: Gill Man and TTK

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
Ohtani leaving Anaheim got a little more complicated. Moreno is not selling the Angels.

Reactions: Gill Man