2023 Padre Season: Don’t Screw it JR., Land of the Rising Or Setting Soto? Good luck in CIN WIL!!! LFGSD!!!!!

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Under the 2023 rules, pitchers will be limited to just two “disengagements” per plate appearance. That is, just two chances to make a pick-off attempt or step off the rubber for any other reason.

third attempt....a insect is in the pitchers face...someone pull a whistle...catcher gets to go the mound, no wait, he was just standing up to get mask right....opposing coach will claim third time.

At least it resets with advancing a base..

• The pitcher may “disengage” from the rubber (i.e. step off or throw to the bases) no more than twice per plate appearance. If the batter advances during the plate appearance, the disengagement counter is reset. If the pitcher steps off or throws to the bases a third time, the runner automatically advances if the pickoff attempt is unsuccessful.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
What might happen.......pick off #1 ....Betts is back. Now you have to let him make the first move. If pitch count is now 2-1...he breaks, pitcher off rubber throws to second baseman. He can hopefully get the runner at second or in a scramble back to first base. Tatis could drive these pitchers nuts.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
they gotta be careful about disengaging from the rubber......unsafe sex not a great idea these days. Damn, they are even allowing them to do it twice each time. Very very risky behaviour by MLB and pitchers. I wonder if Bauer would disengage more than that.

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
they gotta be careful about disengaging from the rubber......unsafe sex not a great idea these days. Damn, they are even allowing them to do it twice each time. Very very risky behaviour by MLB and pitchers. I wonder if Bauer would disengage more than that.
You could use wood, but that wouldn't help us, would it?
Damn used my two engagements.

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Waitaminute, Bogaerts playing for the Netherlands? And shouldn’t Teheran be playing for Iran?
Teheran is afraid the Ayatollah will have him kidnapped and taken hostage .....he'll end up with one of those black hoods in a ransom video with a guy with a huge sword right behind him. One less mediocre Padre pitcher is the upside. :tup:

• Haha

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
Chapman to the Royals
Cueto to the Marlins

Looks like we’re gonna run with what we have.

A little pissed we got Tommy John Lugo pitching in the WABC while he’s supposed to be our fifth starter.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Chapman to the Royals
Cueto to the Marlins

A little pissed we got Tommy John Lugo pitching in the WABC while he’s supposed to be our fifth starter.
Im more than a little pissed at how this organization seems to value putting resources to insure a very deep quality starting rotation. We have potential holes in the 4-5 slots right now. If we are to be serious WS contenders this year im afraid standing pat will produce similar results as last year should we even GET to the NLDS

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Chapman to the Royals
Cueto to the Marlins

Damn, I was hoping we would get Cueto. Who knows what he has left in the tank but they signed him for a one year deal. Not a lot of risk there.

You're right, there's really no one left.

Our offense better make a dramatic turnaround this season. And a certain big name better step the hell up this year.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The hot rumor is that the Padres will trade Kim for Lopez. I understand that we need a starting pitcher but trading Kim seems to nullify getting Xander because now we downgrade one position big time.
not to mention Kim is a bigtime clubhuose/chemistry guy......Manny loves the guy. I would not do that trade. They probalby should go with what they have in the first half then make a move for bigtime elite pitcher before the trade deadline. JMHO.

I think we again take a WC spot so no major pressure to go out of the gate full bore......the biggest thing to do is acquire enough quality depth BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS. So trade deadline best IMO. They need to make sure we don't end up with a Manaea/Cleve situation.....2 guys that cost us bigtime. I blamed Manaea, not Cleve....Cleve couldn't control the injury issue, shame he couldn't return to his pre TJ status. If Martinez turns out to be a great starter that would help but I think counting on that is not a wise strategy....it's gravy in a 6 man quality rotation if he DOES make it as a starter. But that's it at this point. So they need to be prepared to acquire a big arm. Again, and I've said it over and over......you need SIX elite to very good starters because injuries to those guys are so common. And that is the problem with the Padres....they don't currently have a minor league promising prospect ready to call up ....they have been poor at developing pitching talent in their own system.....and once they did they trade the guy.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hit me up, AJ.

ha ha...That is GREAT!!!! lmao. Well that is by far the QUICKEST and least costly way to upgrade and get a potential star elite pitcher. Baggage? Hell yes! But tell me how many teams that get the trophy don't have at least one player with baggage. I think he would be a Dodger KILLER. The guy has swag....in fact give him a swag chain to wear all the time!! lol

And BTW if you do that now, you still have bank to acquire ANOTHER elite arm at the deadline putting us in a position to rival any other pitching staff in MLB, hell we'd probably rise up to the top of the league for pitching depth and talent. If we do both of those we project to the league we are going after the trophy THIS year. Heck, we might take the division if we do that....in fact I think we WOULD. Imagine the playoff seeding...home field. Petco with lots of home games in the playoffs instead of just a couple.

Reactions: TTK and Fender57

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
ha ha...That is GREAT!!!! lmao. Well that is by far the QUICKEST and least costly way to upgrade and get a potential star elite pitcher. Baggage? Hell yes! But tell me how many teams that get the trophy don't have at least one player with baggage. I think he would be a Dodger KILLER. The guy has swag....in fact give him a swag chain to wear all the time!! lol

And BTW if you do that now, you still have bank to acquire ANOTHER elite arm at the deadline putting us in a position to rival any other pitching staff in MLB, hell we'd probably rise up to the top of the league for pitching depth and talent. If we do both of those we project to the league we are going after the trophy THIS year. Heck, we might take the division if we do that....in fact I think we WOULD. Imagine the playoff seeding...home field. Petco with lots of home games in the playoffs instead of just a couple.
It really is a no brainer. And as TTK pointed out, he can be easily released if he tanks.

Reactions: Gill Man and TTK

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Good for George. Great guy and hope he lands back in the majors, but the article pretty much reveals why we didnt keep him, just an all or nothing hitter and ranks low. The red sox are not thrilled with any of their 3 training camp catchers. I hope our 16 year old is called up this year and kills it.

Reactions: TTK

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Ill say one thing about jorge, the damn guy was one of the most clutch hitters in big situations and cant find a better cluchouse favorite, gonna miss that and he should be in the padre hof for lfgsd

Reactions: TTK

Fender57

Blot Talker
Sep 7, 2008
Good for George. Great guy and hope he lands back in the majors, but the article pretty much reveals why we didnt keep him, just an all or nothing hitter and ranks low. The red sox are not thrilled with any of their 3 training camp catchers. I hope our 16 year old is called up this year and kills it.
Lots of comments on Facebook (where I found the pic and article) about Jorge pissing off the FO because of his habit to say LFGSD on TV. Even though the team capitalized it with tshirts etc.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I remain totally perplexed, as I'm sure almost everyone is, as to why suddenly Jorge was left off the lineup and even was never used as a PH in the playoffs. What the hell happened? If nothing else let the guy have a shot at a PH in the clutch situations he seems to thrive in. Melville/Preller to me fucked up the playoffs with PH decisions and with relief pitching decisions in that 8th inning of game 4 leaving Saguaro to rot out there when he could have brought in Hader. That was a managerial fuck up. Thomspon of the Phillies way out-managed Melville. I think Melville needs to be on the hot seat for it. Yeah he's better than Tink by a mile but that's about as low a bar as you can get. Big deal. :rolleyes:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I think it came down to the new rules entering this season. Jorge is a terrible defensive catcher and like the article pointed out the dude whiffs a lot more than he connects.

Reactions: Gill Man