2023 Padre Season: Don’t Screw it JR., Land of the Rising Or Setting Soto? Good luck in CIN WIL!!! LFGSD!!!!!

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Too bad he didn't work out here. He really loved San Diego and his teammates.
i was a huge fan for that reason. But being a fan is one thing, recognizing how awful the acquisition was is another. The injury was not his fault. He never returned to his preinjury form unfortunately. Was just a totally worthless acquisition as it turns out, really wanted him to succeed here. Good guy. Wish him well, just not here as he took up a valuable roster spot and completely failed in the playoffs.

Reactions: TTK and Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Turn Teheran into a closer. Play air raid sirens, machine gun fire, and missle explosions when he runs out of the bullpen

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
The Iron Sheik. Some of his best.

"Hulk Hogan or the Donald Trump, I break their back - make them humble.

I love the Kanye West, I respect the Kanye West, but his wife look like fat penguin. She eat too much cheeseburger and she have no moderation.

A pencil has eraser because it makes a mistake."

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I think Padres will spend heavily on Pitching still. Hader will get next mega contract.
Would Padres pull a fast one and sign deGrom?
Depending on Judge, Soto will be offered a deal or just go to arb. Which is $21 million.
If Judge gets say, $38 million ( only an Ohtani would get $50 million a year), Soto/Boras might take an extension...or maybe not, if they figure, both salaries go up and they make great numbers, and the loss of say $14 million per year (assume $35 million deal offered vs exrension years of $21 million) can be made up, which I don't think so.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
None of this is surprising.
yup, a big yawner as far as anything being unexpected or earthshattering. Just hope they are aggressively pursuing Senga and convince him to come where he'd be most happy...all they fucking have to do is come close to any other offer.

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Just getting myself and others up to speed. Obviously how close their tendered contracts are to arbitration eligible would be top secret. After Musk blows up Twitter and Teams leave the format, it will be very rough to find reliable information.
I think Twitter will be fine. I don't agree with the way he went about firing everyone but he got rid of a lot of the slackers.

He needs to shut up and let someone else run it so the advertisers will come back and he can go back to electric cars and space rockets. And we can keep getting our sports news. :)

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
What doesnt end well is Harry consistently insisting on putting poltical bullshit in the sports forums. For a old guy u never grew up

Reactions: Fender57

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
What doesnt end well is Harry consistently insisting on putting poltical bullshit in the sports forums. For a old guy u never grew up
I just made a note if --anyone/anywhere---- people wanna mention someone has a "right. to" free speech or text, they are not talking facts.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I just made a note if --anyone/anywhere---- people wanna mention someone has a "right. to" free speech or text, they are not talking facts.
that's great if it has to do with a thread about the padres....this thread has gone off the rails enough with crypto etc etc, now this. If you just keep it in the political playground where it belongs it's cool:cool:, otherwise it's not.:(

Reactions: Fender57 and TTK

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007

This club could be a dark horse to sign Bogaerts

Xander Bogaerts has opted out of his contract with the Red Sox to become a free agent, and MLB.com is keeping track of the latest rumors surrounding the shortstop.

With Josh Bell, Brandon Drury and Wil Myers all entering free agency, the Padres have an opening at first base and reportedly were making José Abreu a top priority. However, Abreu is now off the market after signing a three-year deal with the Astros on Monday.

Although it’s possible San Diego will pivot to Bell, Drury or one of the other free-agent first basemen after missing out on Abreu, there’s a more outside-the-box solution that appears to be on the table for the club and might have become more realistic with the Abreu signing.

MLB Network insider Jon Heyman reported last week in an article for the New York Post that the Padres “are a surprise team looking at shortstop” and have an interest in Bogaerts. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic backed up that notion on Tuesday when he reported that Padres general manager A.J. Preller had checked in (subscription required) with Bogaerts' agent, Scott Boras, about the four-time All-Star's willingness to play other infield positions.

With Fernando Tatis Jr. signed through 2034 and Ha-Seong Kim under contract through 2024 (he also has a 2025 mutual option), the Friars don’t seem to have a pressing need at short. However, San Diego would seemingly have interest in Bogaerts if he was willing to play first base or second in the short term. That would also provide the club insurance in case third baseman Manny Machado decides to opt out following the 2023 season.

It's also possible that signing the 30-year-old Bogaerts would open the door for Tatis moving to left, Kim to second and Jake Cronenworth to first.

Bogaerts is tied to Draft compensation after declining the Red Sox’s qualifying offer, so the Padres would need to forfeit their second- and fifth-highest selections in the 2023 Draft, plus $1 million from their international bonus pool, to sign him.

The Friars are also already close to the first Competitive Balance Tax threshold (set at $233 million in 2023). A Bogaerts deal could push them over the first and second thresholds ($253 million). After exceeding the CBT threshold in both 2021 and 2022, the Padres would be taxed 50% on all overages past the first threshold, then 45% on overages past the second threshold.