2022 hopefully not harpooned Padre Season, Tale of the Whale by Bob Melville

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
melville: "struggling with guys we have not seen before"...........jeebus way to grab for an excuse you dimwit. :rolleyes: Sorry he's not the right manager for this team. He's too easy going. And he enables this fucking team with comments like that. Yes I know this is not the 80's but come ON. MO-TI-VATE. Just do it Bob. MO-TI-VATE. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Clev vs Cease tomorrow.....that could be another loss. Look out below.

Reactions: Faded Blues

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I don't like our chances in that one. We really blew it by screwing up tonight's game.
Followed by Lance Lynn on Sunday, that guy always pitches us tough.
yeah this is one we could ill-afford to lose, might really come back to haunt this team re: a playoff spot. We should beat the Gnats but the way this team is playing there are no guarantees even against tomato cans. Eff it....we are going to get killed if we make the playoffs anyway....2 games and done.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
ha ha, exactly. Why doesn't he say something like.......'we stuggle with everybody the way this shithole offense is playing,,,,,,we stuggle against tomato cans and stiffs and against against elites, we struggle whether we are familiar with them or not, in other words we suck. Interview is over fellas, (mic drop). Excuse me while I go kick some ass in the locker room. Preller left me with shitty players and made one of the worst trades of the century. I suck as a manager, I can't motivate anyone and the players are just mirroring my sleepy attitude. When I go to kick ass in the locker room I'll probably slip on the wet floor and fall on my own ass I'm so incompetent".

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
That's a weak ass excuse, Melvin baby.
Melvin baby lol.

Reporter: "Melvin, why are you looking so worried?"
Melvin baby: "I'm struggling with people I'm unfamiliar with"

image.jpeg

MELVIN AGE 2 ALREADY LEARNING TO DO THE DUGOUT 'LEAN' AND TO LOOK WORRIED
ABOUT THE PROGRESS OF A GAME.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
I was watching "Quick Pitch" on MLBTV this morning, and enviously seeing team after team clinch postseason berths - I think the entire AL slate is now set, and although I hope we do get in, if our bats stay as cold as they currently are, it'll be a pretty quick exit no matter who we play.

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Trent Grisham grounded out last night on a ball he hit harder (107.4 mph) than any of the 13 he had put in play in his previous 14 games. As Grisham returned to the dugout, Melvin clapped encouragingly.

That’s where it’s at with Grisham, who looks as lost at the plate as any major league batter could.

Melvin said a few days ago he hoped Grisham sitting “makes him a little bit more hungry.”

He gave Grisham a start against a rookie right-hander last night, and Grisham struck out looking twice around that groundout. By the time he starts again, Grisham should be starving.

Grisham is hitless in his past 22 at-bats and has three hits and 23 strikeouts in 45 at-bats since Aug. 31.

1664644108755.png

Melvin earlier this month replaced Grisham with José Azocar in center field for most games, but Azocar is 0-for-13 over his past four games.

Wil Myers, who is batting .278/.343/.787 in 140 plate appearances since Aug. 1, struck out pinch-hitting for Grisham against Liam Hendricks to end last night’s game. Melvin was noncommittal about potentially starting Myers in center field when asked yesterday afternoon, but he certainly did not rule it out.

“I don’t mind him out there,” Melvin said. “I really don’t. I’m not sure that everybody subscribes to that, but I don’t mind him out there. … He works everywhere. I’m not really sure what the metrics say. But I’m comfortable with him in multiple spots.”

Myers has started 101 career games in center field, including four this season.

Sometimes Melvin, who relies heavily on analytics, is delightfully old school.

“An outfielder is an outfielder, and when the ball goes in the air you go and catch it,” he said. “In center field, it’s the easiest reads. You get the best perspective on the flight of the ball, where in left or right you’re getting topspin more. So yeah, I’m comfortable with him out there.”

• Sad
Reactions: Gill Man

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Pathetic.

---

This is well past getting old. The Padres can’t hit new pitchers.

The latest was Davis Martin, a 25-year-old rookie right-hander who last night held them to one run in 5 2/3 innings. The Padres managed six hits but were mostly baffled by a slider Martin threw 44 percent of the time. They were 3-for-13 in at-bats that ended on the pitch and missed 10 times on 27 swings (37 percent) against it. Martin’s eight strikeouts were more than he had in any of his previous seven career starts.

“We’ve struggled with guys we have not seen before,” Melvin said. “You do as much catch-up work as you can. We look at video. Not until you get in the box. … But a second, third time around we didn’t do much either.”

Martin was the third rookie pitcher in September to go at least 5 2/3 innings and allow the Padres zero or one run. Of the 15 rookie starting pitchers who have faced the Padres for the first time this season, eight have gone at least five innings and allowed no more than three earned runs.

Reactions: Gill Man

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
  • Jurickson Profar was limping after the game after aggravating an ankle injury that has bothered him to some extent for a while. He tweaked it last night trying to score on Juan Soto’s double in the fifth inning.

• Profar was 1-for-3 with a walk and is batting .406 (13-for-32) during an eight-game hitting streak.

• Luis Garcia pitched a scoreless seventh inning. He has not allowed a run in his past seven appearances (6 2/3 innings).

• Robert Suarez’s scoreless eighth inning ran his streak to 11 games (11 1/3 innings) without allowing a run.

• Josh Bell drove in the Padres’ only run with a single in the second inning before striking out in his final three at-bats. Bell, who talked with Jeff Sanders before the game about his struggles, is 5-for-43 (.116) with five walks and 10 strikeouts over his past 14 games.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
If merit for the WC were based on which team did more with less who should get the WC, Phillies, Brewers, or Padres? Whoever that is I hope they get the WC.
Reason? Because that is the team that is the hungriest and also likely playing the best baseball too. But in reality at this point I don't care because whoever that is goes one and done, likely losing 2 straight....how fun would that be?? Pluse I want Seidler to at least have to THINK about firing propeller. But thats as far as he'd go...thinking about it for 1 sec lol

Last edited:

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
CJ is going to be a superstar. Preller just made the biggest blunder of all his screwups

Reactions: TTK and Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
What a doofus, thinking a major overhaul mid season is a good idea, let alone will yield a WS ring lmao