2022 hopefully not harpooned Padre Season, Tale of the Whale by Bob Melville

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Rodon is probably the best option if we cannot get Senga.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Possible. Due to no Qualifying offer status.

Not every free agent can receive the QO. Players who have previously received a QO are ineligible, which means the following free agents were ineligible to receive one:

José Abreu (White Sox), Brandon Belt (Giants), Carlos Correa (Twins), Nelson Cruz (Nationals), Zack Greinke (Royals), Kenley Jansen (Braves), Craig Kimbrel (Dodgers), AJ Pollock (White Sox), David Robertson (Phillies), Carlos Santana (Mariners), Will Smith (Astros), Noah Syndergaard (Phillies), Justin Verlander (Astros)

Last edited:

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Solid strong player. Two years, maybe three year contract, say 3 year, $36 M deal.
He's going to be 36 coming off a very down season power-wise.

2021: 30 HR | 117 RBI | .481 SLG
2022: 15 HR | 75 RBI | .446 SLG

Plus he's projected by some to have a $23M AAV.

"MLB insider Kiley McDaniel projects Abreu to receive a contract in the neighborhood of two years and $46 million, or $23 million in average annual value (AAV)."

No thanks. Stop trading for or signing players that are trending down. We have to hope Soto snaps out of whatever funk he was in last season but the warning signs were already there. It's there for Abreu as well. At least Soto is still very young.

Reactions: Gill Man

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018

"MLB insider Kiley McDaniel projects Abreu to receive a contract in the neighborhood of two years and $46 million, or $23 million in average annual value (AAV)."

No thanks. Stop trading for or signing players that are trending down. We have to hope Soto snaps out of whatever funk he was in last season but the warning signs were already there. It's there for Abreu as well. At least Soto is still very young.
I would wait and see. The market for him could be non-existent and we could get him on the cheap. Maybe a 1 year rental with options. I agree he is trending downward but I think of him as a “guy” to plug in when needed.

Reactions: TTK and Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Agree, if market for the guy is crazy as stated, pass.

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
H's a proven, solid, productive playet.

You folks just aren't use to that at first base.

So was Cano.

Not saying he's Cano but Cano was a great player with a lot of power then clearly started going downhill when he turned 35.

If you want power and production, go after Voit. He's younger, cheaper and was obviously loved by his teammates here. The chemistry is there.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So was Cano.

Not saying he's Cano but Cano was a great player with a lot of power then clearly started going downhill when he turned 35.

If you want power and production, go after Voit. He's younger, cheaper and was obviously loved by his teammates here. The chemistry is there.
Voit for sure. Good call. Looking in the rearvview mirror on expensive,talent is unwise. Unless you got a generational talent like ohtani.

Reactions: Fender57 and TTK

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So was Cano.

Agree. Not sure why this obsession with washed up players. Voit is obviously the way to go. Doesn’t mean we stop there but that’s the guy we should prioritize bringing in. If we land Voit I’d be open to Abreu.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

Voit. 135 games 179 strikeouts. .226 average On base .306 .402 slug
Abreu. 157 games. 101 strike outs . .302 average On base. .378. .446 slug

Gilly and others want Voit? Folks Wanna go backwards now? What happen to all in for WS or bust talk? Voit, even younger, is not close to Abreu.

Last edited:

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007

Gilly and others want Voit? You. Wanna go backwards now? What happen to all the WS or bust talk? Voit, even younger, is not close to Abreu.
Depending on which source you trust we only have $15-25M left to spend and stay under the cap. And by all indications, we're not blowing past the cap. Assuming he's going to get what is being projected, Abreu eats all or almost all of that up.

I'm prioritizing pitching. For me Senga or Rodon + Voit > Abreu. Signing Abreu, we'd still have a giant hole in the starting rotation.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Depending on which source you trust we only have $15-25M left to spend and stay under the cap. And by all indications, we're not blowing past the cap. Assuming he's going to get what is being projected, Abreu eats all or almost all of that up.

I'm prioritizing pitching. For me Senga or Rodon + Voit > Abreu. Signing Abreu, we'd still have a giant hole in the starting rotation.
Yes, more pitching if seidler is operating in a smaller budget for 2023. Apparently we just had senga in for talks after the mets. Abreu might have to be a victim of the budget. Also Voit great for chemistry.

Reactions: TTK

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Gilly and others want Voit? You. Wanna go backwards now? What happen to all the WS or bust talk? Voit, even younger, is not close to Abreu.
Preller already blew seidler’s wad on henry aaron thanks to you , lol. That is what happened as a result of the WS or bust talk, a different budget for 2023. Unless you can get Seidler to buy using FTX , Oh wait.:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: TTK and Fender57

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

Let me try..

So when they say Dodgers recently "cleared" $100 million to spend on...player.x
They're basing it on Dodgers having (again) a $262 million dollar 2023 payroll...?
And if true and Padres stay at $210 million, will folks still think Seidler needs to
"Do whatever" to not just make the playoffs but win the World Series?
Can't trade for Soto...ruins the farm....can't sign 36 year old first baseman....
..ruins the budget....Etc. etc .....if you wanna be standing with the Mets, Dogs, Braves....you have to compete.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Let me try..

They're basing it on Dodgers having (again) a $262 million dollar 2023 payroll...?
And if true and Padres stay at $210 million, will folks still think Seidler needs to
Can't trade for Soto...ruins the farm....can't sign 36 year old first baseman....
..ruins the budget....Etc. etc .....if you wanna be standing with the Mets, Dogs, Braves....you have to compete.
I agree, but it's Seidler's money......and as I've said over and over......is he TRULY committed long term year in and year out to compete financially with the dogs? Put the money where the mouth is. I doubt he can do that on an even footing....but would love it if he did. Maybe he runs some crypto scam and will find a way! ha ha

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I agree, but it's Seidler's money......and as I've said over and over......is he TRULY committed long term year in and year out to compete financially with the dogs? Put the money where the mouth is. I doubt he can do that on an even footing....but would love it if he did. Maybe he runs some crypto scam and will find a way! ha ha
Too late to use the crypto scam idea, that one has imploded. Hey, maybe they can do a Juan Soto clone scam where they sell used up sluggers for a wealth of cash and prospects?

• Haha

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Too late to use the crypto scam idea, that one has imploded. Hey, maybe they can do a Juan Soto clone scam where they sell used up sluggers for a wealth of cash and prospects?
ha ha.....pump and dump. Or maybe Seidler can get backing by the cartels. unlimited supply of laundered money.

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Seider is doing his part. He's spending up to the cap (actually slightly over).

It's Preller that needs to make better use of the money. He's signing or trading for too many expensive vets that aren't panning out. And we're losing our young, cheap players in the process.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

It's Preller that needs to make better use of the money. He's signing or trading for too many expensive vets that aren't panning out. And we're losing our young, cheap players in the process.
True, but he failed when he inexplicably gave Preller that undeserved extension without waiting how Tink Merolis would pan out, and now we’re stuck with him just hoping he won’t sink us.

Reactions: TTK and Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

True, but he failed when he inexplicably gave Preller that undeserved extension without waiting how Tink Merolis would pan out, and now we’re stuck with him just hoping he won’t sink us.
agree with both.....takes TWO to make or break the front office. No need to have been saddled with Preller for this long ........I don't understand what Seidler saw in him at the time (or even now for that matter necessarily) to give him that kind of extension. 3 years maybe (but even then wait til the Tink disaster would be apparent). But SIX????? You reserve that for dynasty type GM's. Even Click could only muster 1 year lmfao (now THAT was just as preposterous). And yeah TTK is right on re: the ongoing strategy to try to keep the team on a solid footing for more than a fleeting 1-2 years...the thinking should be for a decade at least. I'd say Senga should be the prime target if possible....pricetag might really skyrocket with 6 or so teams all in the hunt. I bet Senga, all things equal, would far prefer coming to SD.

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Let me try..

According to Spotrac this was the 2022 financials. I don't quite understand the difference between the two but we were between $233M and $242M.

1669014032560.png

Here's 2023. Looks like the numbers have been updated slightly since the last time I checked. This is saying we're about $27M under the cap. Acee said $15M that they had to spend so he might have been told a different number that they want to stay under before the season starts and have space to make moves later.

1669014140933.png

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007
Ohtani speculation.

The team you should not ever, ever count out of any trade speculation

6) Padres

If there’s a trade, AJ Preller is interested in making it, which is a statement we offer first as a joke and then, the more you think about it, is just simply reality. He built his entire rotation from trades, and then also traded for Juan Soto ... and Josh Hader ... and Austin Nola ... and Josh Bell, and you get the idea. At a certain point, the Padres' farm system will run dry, and it’s certainly been depleted by the recent run of moves.

But there’s been a connection between the two for some time. San Diego was one of the finalists when Ohtani first chose the Angels back in 2018, and they were reportedly interested in acquiring him this past summer. The Padres have more than $50 million in expiring contacts this winter -- Wil Myers, Bell, Sean Manaea and Craig Stammen among them -- and while they do need to try to sign Soto, the fit here both on and off the field is a stellar one.

Besides: How incredible would Ohtani look in those sweet City Connect uniforms?

TTK

Darvished!
Jul 30, 2007

Padres: Kodai Senga, RHP

The Padres’ rotation posted a 3.80 ERA, which was about a quarter-run better than the NL’s average. But Sean Manaea and Clevinger are free agents and Mackenzie Gore was dealt last summer in the Juan Soto trade, leaving San Diego in search of arms to fill out the rotation. Senga, who posted a 1.94 ERA in Japan in 2022, is a true free agent, so the Padres wouldn’t have to go through the posting process to secure the hard-throwing right-hander’s services.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Ohtani speculation.

Well looks like pads are a longshot, but preller being preller anything is possible should ohtani be for sale this winter. If we allow gnats to possibly get both judge and ohtani, that creates major problems for us within our window of opportunity. Id say that is one crazy amount that would make sense for that very reason. Huge impact player, and that is a guy where generational player is not exaggerated hype.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Imagine both senga and ohtani on this roster. Would have to trade soto to get ohtani. Do it. That is a splash trade i could get behind in in instant.