2021 hopefully truncated season Padres thread

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
HOT STOVE NEWS

Very common. Currently Orioles and several other clubs have no MLB exp. hitting coaches. There's a strategy behind it.

From a few years back:

2018.....because the Cardinals named Jeff Albert as their hitting coach. The entirety of Albert’s pro playing career is 11 games in independent leagues (nine Frontier League games in 2003 and two American Association games in 2007).

That’s actually not as uncommon as you might expect. Albert is one of three current head hitting coaches who lacks any affiliated pro experience. The two others (the Mets’ Pat Roessler and Pirates’ Rick Eckstein) did not have any games of pro playing experience, either in affiliated or indy ball. Both did play college ball.

Two other MLB hitting coaches never reached Double-A as a player. The Twins’ James Rowson, played 128 games of affiliated baseball in short-season, rookie and Class A leagues and John Mallee had 115 games in rookie ball and Class A

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
More from the Hot Stove Short Order Cooks (between flipping the Grand Slam flapjacks).

$43.3M a year for a guy pushing 40 that had to beg out of a series clinching playoff game.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
More from the Hot Stove Short Order Cooks (between flipping the Grand Slam flapjacks).

$43.3M a year for a guy pushing 40 that had to beg out of a series clinching playoff game.

i for one am glad preller is staying from these dumb deals.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

those Grand Slam flapjacks sound awfully good, I'll take buckwheat flapjacks anyday, or sourdough even better. Used to go up to Jackson Hole WY/Yellowstone once a year for vacations in the spring before the crowds got there......great place called Jedediah's House Of Pancakes......ooooh yeah.... their sourdough pancakes were awesome. :tup:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Texas Rangers add Corey Seager $325 million for 10 years
Then..

Infielder Marcus Semien Blue Jays, 45 home runs....... Texas Rangers are in agreement on a seven-year contract, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN's Jeff Passan on Sunday.
The deal is worth $175 million, a source said.

The Rangers were not done there, however. They also were finalizing a four-year, $56 million contract with right-hander Jon Gray, pending a physical, sources familiar with the deal told Passan.
And they came to terms with outfielder Kole Calhoun on a one-year deal with a team option for 2023, according to multiple reports. The contract is worth $5.2 million, according to MLB.com.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
that's a lot of talent the dogs unloaded. I think most of their fans expected either seager or taylor but not both. scherzer no big deal, expected. He's a waste. very good chance he doesn't make it thru next season or at least misses a big part of it and he's unreliable for the playoffs. mets lmao

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
so far a couple of relievers. I'm interested in who they are gonna go get for a shutdown closer. Also want to know what we are gonna do to fix the starter issue.....Darvish not durable enough due to the gimpy back, Lamet a time bomb with the elbow, Musgrove/Snell not really championship material, Cleve coming off surgery. Weathers/Gore raw. Do they expect the new pitching coach to work miracles....if so they may be disappointed. Will they sign a reliable starter who can be an ace or are we out of ammo?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
On an unrelated note, why are my links not providing a preview? Weird.

On the catcher move, that gives us four catchers. Hopefully they package Campy with Hosmer, then they can move Nola to first and platoon the new guy with Caratini.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
so far a couple of relievers. I'm interested in who they are gonna go get for a shutdown closer. Also want to know what we are gonna do to fix the starter issue.....Darvish not durable enough due to the gimpy back, Lamet a time bomb with the elbow, Musgrove/Snell not really championship material, Cleve coming off surgery. Weathers/Gore raw. Do they expect the new pitching coach to work miracles....if so they may be disappointed. Will they sign a reliable starter who can be an ace or are we out of ammo?
Teams using 2020 results to judge pitchers’ performance in 2021 should be a lesson.
Pitchers can come back strong. I expect most will rebound.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
On an unrelated note, why are my links not providing a preview? Weird.

On the catcher move, that gives us four catchers. Hopefully they package Campy with Hosmer, then they can move Nola to first and platoon the new guy with Caratini.
Lets hope that was a prelude to getting the albatross out

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
And you now have time to mow that lawn.

mow lawns? don't forget curling, frisbee golf, i'd love to see a John Deere Invitational.....rideable lawn mower races with all the MLB GM's competing. Propeller with the helmet with a propeller and hot lava flames on the mower. The possibilities are endless. MLB? maw.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Just finished cooking a shitload of scrambled eggs and bacon. Now I have time to post the full list of moves.

• Acquired C Jorge Alfaro from the Miami Marlins for a PTBNL or cash
  • Non-tendered RHP Trey Wingenter (back surgery) and LHP's Jose Castillo (Tommy John) and LHP Matt Strahm (right knee surgery)
  • Agreed to one-year contracts with LHP Tim Hill and RHP's Austin Adams and Emilio Pagán
Additionally, the Padres have tendered contracts to each of their five remaining arbitration eligible players: C's Jorge Alfaro and Victor Caratini, and RHP's Dinelson Lamet, Joe Musgrove, and Chris Paddack.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Just finished cooking a shitload of scrambled eggs and bacon. Now I have time to post the full list of moves.

• Acquired C Jorge Alfaro from the Miami Marlins for a PTBNL or cash
  • Non-tendered RHP Trey Wingenter (back surgery) and LHP's Jose Castillo (Tommy John) and LHP Matt Strahm (right knee surgery)
  • Agreed to one-year contracts with LHP Tim Hill and RHP's Austin Adams and Emilio Pagán
Additionally, the Padres have tendered contracts to each of their five remaining arbitration eligible players: C's Jorge Alfaro and Victor Caratini, and RHP's Dinelson Lamet, Joe Musgrove, and Chris Paddack.

nice summary. thanks. not sure anything earth shattering .....although hope the alfaro acquisition leads to moving the albatross as you suggested it might. I guess Adams had a good year. Not sure I trust Hill and definitely don't trust Pagan. Maybe the new pitching coach works miracles. Paddack needs a great pitching coach, Weathers, Gore too. That may be key to whether the rotation takes the next step forward.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
The Padres I think have 38 of 40 man roster set for 2022. Obviously done to just sit back and see
if or when any games are ever played.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The radical change has already happen. No CBA can stop what's coming.

Exactly. Imagine 30-60 years ago anything or anyone from a team being affiliated in any way with Vegas. Paul Hornung found out and so did Pete Rose. Now there is sports betting during games everywhere. Shaving used to be grooming. Now its points and play outcomes and player performance. Betting can include injuries. You want a guy to fake an ankle sprain?threaten his family.

Reactions: Harryo the K