2021 hopefully truncated season Padres thread

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
For right now, I am hoping that Preller becomes more evolved in his thinking and is not so spaztic with his fa’s. We are stuck hoping he succeeds because if he fails the team sucks.
yup, we SD fans are used to having to hope for things like that re: our sports franchises. We may be the most experienced in sports history at that other than maybe the Cub fans LOL

Reactions: Faded Blues

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I guess I was way off on that one.....we at least had the AFL SAN DIEGO Chargers.....Championship team and organization under Baron Hilton and Sid Gilman. So we cannot match the Cub fans. Nevertheless, dealing with owners like Klein, Spanos, Sterling, etc....we are very seasoned at dealing with lowered expectations and hoping for the best :tup:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Bryce Harper is the MVP. What a fucking joke.
yeah crazy, Soto 2nd and Tati 3rd ......Tati would have been a shoo in if the pads hadn't tanked as a team. He should have won anyway. Another example of a HOF type SD player getting buried in the incompetence of an organization. Eff tink, eff propeller, and if he doesn't begin to see the light, eff seidler.

I'll tell ya one thing. To be a fan in a small market town takes the patience of Job. WTH. I hope that new pitching coach and Melville are miracle workers and turn this thing around. At least we'll have new blood in here and can take some hope that that will ignite things again.....we need SlamDiego back badly. Where the hell did it go so fast???? Damn.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Yup, the colossal tank job torpedoed a slam dunk MVP. Preller gets a majority of the blame, though I also blame Tinkler for being completely incompetent. Honorable mention to Hosmer for being the clubhouse poison. But both of those guys are on Preller.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
at least that unclogs the roster at 2nd base......still they need to get Albatross out of there for a better 1st baseman but unfortunately can't do that without giving up at ton of prospects. Crone needs to stay at 2nd. Not sure who these guys are from the Mariners.....sounds like the lefty reliever throws real heat and the young outfielder is promising. Fazier didn't do much at all while here. Weird how players in so many sports who are lights out come here and often fail to live up to the hype. There is no way Frazier played like an all star while in SD. Maybe he just fit in better in Pitt and didn't fit the chemistry here in SD. Propeller's fault once again.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
at least that unclogs the roster at 2nd base......still they need to get Albatross out of there for a better 1st baseman but unfortunately can't do that without giving up at ton of prospects. Crone needs to stay at 2nd. Not sure who these guys are from the Mariners.....sounds like the lefty reliever throws real heat and the young outfielder is promising. Fazier didn't do much at all while here. Weird how players in so many sports who are lights out come here and often fail to live up to the hype. There is no way Frazier played like an all star while in SD. Maybe he just fit in better in Pitt and didn't fit the chemistry here in SD. Propeller's fault once again.
I like the trade. We gave up nothing and got a hard throwing reliever and a prospect. Adds much needed depth.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
We gave up three prospects to get these two, hope these two are better than who we gave to the Pirates.
yeah looking at it like that is the way it should be viewed......nothing comes for free. Frazier's deal with the Pirates is the first half of the whole trade. Exactly right...it will be viewed as those 3 prospects vs. the 2 guys we just acquired. Frazier sure upset the applecart lmao. He did very little for us while here, in fact the team tanked badly soon after he arrived, not that he is the one to blame but he did not live up to the allstar hype. Typical. Those 2 guys we just go from SEA had better be the real deal and end up better players than the ones we shipped out to PITT.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yeah looking at it like that is the way it should be viewed......nothing comes for free. Frazier's deal with the Pirates is the first half of the whole trade. Exactly right...it will be viewed as those 3 prospects vs. the 2 guys we just acquired. Frazier sure upset the applecart lmao. He did very little for us while here, in fact the team tanked badly soon after he arrived, not that he is the one to blame but he did not live up to the allstar hype. Typical. Those 2 guys we just go from SEA had better be the real deal and end up better players than the ones we shipped out to PITT.
One of the guys we sent to
Pittsburgh was Marcano, who was hyped in the spring. Watch him become a star there. We got screwed on this deal and Frazier fucked up the chemistry (as you say, not his fault), the whole deadline trade situation was a royal fuckup.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
One of the guys we sent to
Pittsburgh was Marcano, who was hyped in the spring. Watch him become a star there. We got screwed on this deal and Frazier fucked up the chemistry (as you say, not his fault), the whole deadline trade situation was a royal fuckup.
I guess the other thing we need to watch in assessing the entire deal is how is the money we save from Frazier used? Agree, propeller has a trigger finger on a lot of trades for FA’s that turn bad, whether injury or chemistry or whatever. Rockstar. Lmao

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I guess the other thing we need to watch in assessing the entire deal is how is the money we save from Frazier used? Agree, propeller has a trigger finger on a lot of trades for FA’s that turn bad, whether injury or chemistry or whatever. Rockstar. Lmao
$7.5M this year then he’s a FA. Would’ve been a bargain if we actually needed him and he was worth a shit. So we’ll basically save nothing. A truly waste of a trade. He’s probably glad to be gone, I bet Hosmer et al., looked at him as some sort of pariah, which affected his play.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
$7.5M this year then he’s a FA. Would’ve been a bargain if we actually needed him and he was worth a shit. So we’ll basically save nothing. A truly waste of a trade. He’s probably glad to be gone, I bet Hosmer et al., looked at him as some sort of pariah, which affected his play.
Wow, that’s it? Damn, definite bargain, now watch him tear it up in SEA. Im sure the toxic clubhouse here affected him. Bunch of crybaby sorority girls complaining about rumors albatross might be dealt was a red flag. Tink and propeller couldnt control it. Supposedly melville is gonna save it. Captain Ahab of the San Diego Pequods.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Wow, that’s it? Damn, definite bargain, now watch him tear it up in SEA. Im sure the toxic clubhouse here affected him. Bunch of crybaby sorority girls complaining about rumors albatross might be dealt was a red flag. Tink and propeller couldnt control it. Supposedly melville is gonna save it. Captain Ahab of the San Diego Pequods.
Moby Hos, the great white whale’s vag.

• Haha

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I remember a quote from Frazier when he was dealt here……”im excited, looks like they’re having a lot of fun on that team” lol

• Haha

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
There was a report that Hosmer went into a shell after the trade attempts and refused to talk to anyone in the clubhouse. Darrin Smith claimed he “hated everyone in the clubhouse”, but Coach Kentera vehemently denied it saying how “respected” Hosmer was and he was a “leader” lmao. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, he probably hated on some guys (Frazier, maybe even Crone) and had influence over others (like Manny). He’s got to go.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Speaking of Gene Merolis, I found out (had my memory refreshed) that San Diego’s version was Pete Ellis.

Pete Ellis, what a great great guyyyyyyyy!

I like Tink Merolis better though. He always battled back, kept grinding.

• Haha

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
More on Brdar.
an underwhelming hire sounds like. First gig in the majors? Yup sound like the Tink Merolis of hitting coaches. Minor league hitting coordinator for the gnats. I'm not understanding why propeller seems so enamored with bring guys in from the minors to manage or coach this team. Maybe Melville knows him well? wth. Let's hear what melville thinks of him. Kind of a sparse article re: details.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
an underwhelming hire sounds like. First gig in the majors? Yup sound like the Tink Merolis of hitting coaches. Minor league hitting coordinator for the gnats. I'm not understanding why propeller seems so enamored with bring guys in from the minors to manage or coach this team. Maybe Melville knows him well? wth. Let's hear what melville thinks of him. Kind of a sparse article re: details.
The only way Melville knows him if his kid played little league with him. This is a total Propeller move. I guess we should be glad he didn’t hire a Texas Ranger.

• Haha

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Very common. Currently Orioles and several other clubs have no MLB exp. hitting coaches. There's a strategy behind it.

From a few years back:

2018.....because the Cardinals named Jeff Albert as their hitting coach. The entirety of Albert’s pro playing career is 11 games in independent leagues (nine Frontier League games in 2003 and two American Association games in 2007).

That’s actually not as uncommon as you might expect. Albert is one of three current head hitting coaches who lacks any affiliated pro experience. The two others (the Mets’ Pat Roessler and Pirates’ Rick Eckstein) did not have any games of pro playing experience, either in affiliated or indy ball. Both did play college ball.

Two other MLB hitting coaches never reached Double-A as a player. The Twins’ James Rowson, played 128 games of affiliated baseball in short-season, rookie and Class A leagues and John Mallee had 115 games in rookie ball and Class A

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Very common. Currently Orioles and several other clubs have no MLB exp. hitting coaches. There's a strategy behind it.

From a few years back:

2018.....because the Cardinals named Jeff Albert as their hitting coach. The entirety of Albert’s pro playing career is 11 games in independent leagues (nine Frontier League games in 2003 and two American Association games in 2007).

That’s actually not as uncommon as you might expect. Albert is one of three current head hitting coaches who lacks any affiliated pro experience. The two others (the Mets’ Pat Roessler and Pirates’ Rick Eckstein) did not have any games of pro playing experience, either in affiliated or indy ball. Both did play college ball.

Two other MLB hitting coaches never reached Double-A as a player. The Twins’ James Rowson, played 128 games of affiliated baseball in short-season, rookie and Class A leagues and John Mallee had 115 games in rookie ball and Class A
That’s actually a good point as a lot of good hitting coaches (and coaches/managers in general) have zero or limited experience. However, do you trust Preller to objectively judge these attributes?