2021 hopefully truncated season Padres thread

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Buster Olney on Gwynn and Chris show:

Talked to Bochy right before the interview. He asked Boch if he was contacted by the Padres yet, the response: “all quiet here”

Olney does not believe a Bochy or Showalter could exist with Preller, and he doesn’t believe Preller will change his micromanaging ways.

More and more this will be a big tell of what we have in Seidler. If they botch this it will pretty much destroy everything they’ve built.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Talked to Bochy right before the interview. He asked Boch if he was contacted by the Padres yet, the response: “all quiet here”

Olney does not believe a Bochy or Showalter could exist with Preller, and he doesn’t believe Preller will change his micromanaging ways.

More and more this will be a big tell of what we have in Seidler. If they botch this it will pretty much destroy everything they’ve built.
yup. Says it all. No one decent wiil coexist with propeller who is a hopeless micromanager. Seidler is tied to this guy for some damn reason, they'll just both sink together. It's pretty much impossible for me to figure out why seidler feels propeller is somehow going to bring him a ring. Makes no sense to me. After 7 years of abject mediocrity and failure how does he figure that?

Reactions: Fender57

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Dusty Baker & the Astros advance to the ALCS against Boston by drubbing the White Sox 10-1 to win the series 3-1.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018

I dont beleive olney or bochy isnt telling him a damn thing.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
The Braves advance to the NLCS against the winner of this Dodgers vs Giants series, so if the Padres are interested in hiring Washington, they may have to wait till the end of at least the LCS, if not the World Series - the same could be said about Bochy, especially if he's working with the Giants and they advance as well.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
dogs beat the gonads 7-2......game 5 Thursday in SF....huge Webb vs Urias. I hope the dogs ruin their season. Urias is a badass.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
dogs beat the gonads 7-2......game 5 Thursday in SF....huge Webb vs Urias. I hope the dogs ruin their season. Urias is a badass.
I would rather see the Giants win (then lose to Atlanta in the LCS) but if they fall to LA, it could help us by making Bochy available sooner (while tying up Washington longer) and we could potentially hire Bruce quickly, even if it isn't announced until after the World Series.

Reactions: wrbanwal

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006

Padres finalizing list of managerial candidates to interview, per report

Some of these names are interesting

By Ben Fadden @ben_fadden Oct 13, 2021, 8:35am PDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Baltimore Orioles
Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images

The San Diego Padres have fired Jayce Tingler following the most disappointing season in franchise history. Now general manager A.J. Preller is tasked with hiring his third manager. Will it be a veteran manager this time around? Time will tell, but according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today on Twitter, he’s going to be interviewing plenty of former big league managers.

“The Padres are finalizing a list of managerial candidates to interview, but names being internally discussed include: Bruce Bochy, Buck Showalter, Jeff Bannister, John Gibbons, Ron Roenicke, John Farrell, and Brad Ausmus.”

What Padres fans should like about this list of candidates is that every single person on this list has managed in the major leagues before.

Bochy is obviously the pipe dream scenario. We all know he has a ticket to the Hall of Fame whenever he becomes available. Wouldn’t it be great if Bochy came back to where it all started and won the Padres its first title in franchise history?

I’m a huge Showalter fan and think he’d be a great fit for the Padres clubhouse. For anyone who watches him talk about the game on MLB Network, you know that he clearly understands what he’s talking about and has a great personality despite him being known for his serious look when he was inside the dugout with Manny Machado in Baltimore.

The other names on the list have experience but it doesn’t feel like they would be as great of fits for San Diego over Bochy and Showalter. Ausmus, for example, couldn’t get a Detroit Tigers team (that had Miguel Cabrera, Justin Upton, Ian Kinsler, J.D. Martinez, David Price, and Max Scherzer) to win a single game in the ALDS. He then finished 18 games under .500 in his only season with the Angels in 2019.

The most interesting part about Nightengale’s tweet was that Ron Washington wasn’t included on that list. That might be because the Atlanta Braves are still in the playoffs after beating the Milwaukee Brewers in the NLDS, but Washington is an obvious candidate that the Padres should want to interview for the job. He finished second to Tingler in the last managerial hunt and has recently admitted publicly that he wants to be the club’s manager.

The Padres will likely be trimming down their list of people they’d like to interview in the next week or so, so stay tuned to Gaslamp Ball for all of the updates.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
1. olney is an idiot.

2. Give bochy the keys to the city.

3. buck 2.

4. we should not have to get pass buck.
Completely agree, I feel like my IQ went down just reading that list and attempting to take it seriously. I’m hoping it’s all a smokescreen. It is so fucking obvious that they should go all out and land Bochy, make him an offer he can’t refuse. We’re gonna flush several more years down the toilet if Seidler is serious about letting Preller proceed with his fucking stupid “plan”.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I still don't see how those managers we want can coexist with the knucklehead GM. Maybe that forces out propeller if seidler has him on a short leash, but seidler gave the clueless one his total blessing....maybe that was a headfake.....my question for him is why even bother with another year having an idiot for a GM???? WTF. Stupid. I'm afraid this owner is clueless.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I still don't see how those managers we want can coexist with the knucklehead GM. Maybe that forces out propeller if seidler has him on a short leash, but seidler gave the clueless one his total blessing....maybe that was a headfake.....my question for him is why even bother with another year having an idiot for a GM???? WTF. Stupid. I'm afraid this owner is clueless.
Gonna have to agree. He’s allowing Preller to put together a list, there should be one name on that list and it’s Bruce Bochy, all hands on deck to bring him into the fold, anything else is just bullshit. But you can already see the writing on the wall, Preller is being enabled, allowing him to stick to his “vision”, so a guy like Bochy is out because there’s no fucking way Preller has any business trying to tell Bochy how to run the team on the field. This “vision” that hasn’t produced anything except stumbling into Tatis and throwing gobs of the owners money to land Machado (who foolishly bought Preller’s bullshit, expect him to exercise his option in ‘24). What else has he done? Oh yeah he rebuilt the farm system. LMAO.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Gonna have to agree. He’s allowing Preller to put together a list, there should be one name on that list and it’s Bruce Bochy, all hands on deck to bring him into the fold, anything else is just bullshit. But you can already see the writing on the wall, Preller is being enabled, allowing him to stick to his “vision”, so a guy like Bochy is out because there’s no fucking way Preller has any business trying to tell Bochy how to run the team on the field. This “vision” that hasn’t produced anything except stumbling into Tatis and throwing gobs of the owners money to land Machado (who foolishly bought Preller’s bullshit, expect him to exercise his option in ‘24). What else has he done? Oh yeah he rebuilt the farm system. LMAO.

I have a feeling bochy has said he is interested hence why his name is on the list.

its a good sign.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Dave Roberts is pulling a switch, Corey Knebel will start tonite but Julio Urias is available to pitch after him, as is everybody I would imagine.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Dave Roberts is pulling a switch, Corey Knebel will start tonite but Julio Urias is available to pitch after him, as is everybody I would imagine.
I heard on the radio how Roberts even texted Kapler and told him he was going to do this. Kapler likes to stack his lineup lefty vs righty and vice versa, so Kapler has to decide if he wants to be at a disadvantage for 2-3 innings before Roberts brings in Urias.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Th Cardinals fired manager Mike Shiltz today. Due to “philosophical differences” with the GM. Loosely translated, what happened is you had a good manager who managed a team from nowhere into the playoffs with a 17 game win streak, and he (rightfully) felt the GM needed to back off with the micromanaging, and the GM disagreed so they fired him.

As I complained about as far back as 2019, sabremetrics is RUINING baseball.

This doesn’t bode well for Bochy’s return. Get your torches ready San Diego.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Mike Shiltz isn't a 3 time World Series winning Manager like Bochy is, and if Bruce were willing to return here and clashed with Preller, I'd like to believe that it's AJ who would be shown the door.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Mike Shiltz isn't a 3 time World Series winning Manager like Bochy is, and if Bruce were willing to return here and clashed with Preller, I'd like to believe that it's AJ who would be shown the door.
I’m having a difficult time believing that Seidler put the clamps on Preller. I’m predicting it will not be Bochy. He won’t want to put up with the bullshit. There is really nothing indicating that Preller is being leashed.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
I’m having a difficult time believing that Seidler put the clamps on Preller. I’m predicting it will not be Bochy. He won’t want to put up with the bullshit. There is really nothing indicating that Preller is being leashed.
Bruce Bochy is now “available” as the Giants have been eliminated – if he’s in any way interested in the Padres job and makes that known, I don’t see how Preller or Seidler could justify hiring anyone else.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
dogs beat the gonads..2-1. Scherzer shut down the gonads in the 9th despite Justin Turner's error at 3rd allowing a runner. Game ended on a blown call by the 1st base ump who should have ruled a check swing , instead called a strike LMAO. Umps as usual make a horrendous crucial call. I think either way Scherzer would have struck out the batter, he was owning him as he did the entire gonad batting order including Crawford. Roberts used his pitchers pretty much perfectly , only run given up by Urias on one bad pitch to Ruf for a HR. C ya later gonads.....Bellinger the MVP of the series , that must absolutely KILL streetshitter fans LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Yeah they blew that check swing call but no way was Scherzer gonna blow that save. Roberts really did game plan today perfectly, he put the Giants out of their preferred comfort zone. I was listening to the radio and during the pregame all the Dog fans were panicking because they thought the Gnats would be able to strike first. Masterful job by Roberts today.