2021 hopefully truncated season Padres thread

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
How about mix and match the 2? Unorthodox but could be lethal.
oh and i said it before, trades affect chemistry. tros trade can do that, but truly the guy has not been earning his pay at the plate. Wont get much value for him in a trade if anyone even wants him. We may be stuck for better or worse. Hopefully he goes on another tear during second half.
Even more than trading a guy they like away (players understand this part of the business), when they see a guy (Melancon) who’s been the top guy in his role in all of baseball, who took less money to come here, worked his ass off, grabbed the closer job and excelled, be rewarded by having another guy come in and take your job, that would affect chemistry more than trading away the albatross. Lethal combo? Absolutely. But at what cost?

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
maybe we are getting kimbrel and rizzo

for

hosmer we eat salary

prospects

salary exchange plus contracts.
yeah could be, sounds like gallo a no go (sorry harry). I like the way you are thinking. I'm on that bandwagon right now. We can win this whole thing if Preller wheels and deals and packages things. I'd like Maeda, Kimbrel, Rizzo........or one of the other sp's who are being shopped. Beerios sounds out of reach but if it comes down to the deadline and Twins have no offers maybe they are the ones who blink and Pads reap the reward for being patient. Who knows? It's a crazy period of trades and game of chicken.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Even more than trading a guy they like away (players understand this part of the business), when they see a guy (Melancon) who’s been the top guy in his role in all of baseball, who took less money to come here, worked his ass off, grabbed the closer job and excelled, be rewarded by having another guy come in and take your job, that would affect chemistry more than trading away the albatross. Lethal combo? Absolutely. But at what cost?
yeah could be, I get the sense Mel just wants to win, he would be a guy like Frazier who doesn't give a damn. Believe me he would still see many many closing spots. Yeah in a sense a demotion but Frazier gladly went to LF. Players understand that. It would depend on his feeling internally which we have no way of knowing. Certainly the club should talk with him extensively to understand how he's react before pulling the trigger....agree on that,,,you don't want to hurt chemistry there either.......its all in flux right now. I just want to go after that title this year.....and catch the streetshitters , whatever it takes. I'd say most if not all the players on that team would want the same if certain moves meant players get their feeling hurt.

Also...consider this.....how long have we locked down Melancon. If it's just a year then it makes even more sense....ifyou can have Kimbrel for beyond that. And there is the unknown.....which of these guys is most affected by the ban? They are still checking regularly without easing it. I got the sense Melancon started showing some signs of getting a little bit (not a lot) into tight situations after the ban til now. Not sure it's the sticky or he is starting to show some tiredness from the grind. That is the other thing....you keep those guys rested enough if Pom/Elitio are there to do setup if the score isn't a one run affair. There can be a lot of advantagesto it. But yeah, ask Melancon by all means.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
And believe it or not a big issue IS blocking the gnats and dogs from outbidding us and further lessening our shot this year. It's all part of the game of trade deadline.....you can't let your division rivals out bid you for the top talent or your year is going to end up lessthan what it might have been. Of course we could catch fire with lesser talent at the end of the year....that's ALWAYS a possiblity, but the odds are less than if you have the elite talent to begin with.......who the hell knows for sure what to do? We are the internet GM's speculating without all the details available to Preller ........would love to bea fly on the wall. This is great stuff, Ilove this time of year. It's like waiting for your holiday presents or checking your stocking or something......you could score big or end up with coal LOL. So far with Frazier looks to me likewe scored big. But I'm greedy and want more LOL

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Looks like there’s an option on year 2 for the Land Shark. I hear you about hedging your bets and blocking the Dogs and Streetshitters. Acquiring Kimbrel would guarantee that Shark is gone next year but at 38 that might not be a bad thing.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
i am comfortable with dharvish snell and weathers. peacock being the 4th if needed.

plus you habe lamet who can be a long reliever.
I am only to the extent they becomemore consistent against allteams.......If sowe are good. Not sure I am patient enough to rely on that. I'm getting a sense of urgency ....I think our window is 2 years.......would love to know Preller's thought's on his starters. He would be unlikey to reveal his true feelings publicly if he was not happy with them and he might falsely praise or be optimistic about those he is praying will come around. I see him as making a move for a starting pitcher at all costs if needed. I see him wanting togo after the title THIS year , not in the future. I know you guys disagree with that but I've gotten tired of seeing the gnats pounding the division consistently andnot giving up any ground and us hoping our pitchers bail us out.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Face it, we got jobbed and very unlucky with our pitching injuries. That was a dagger. So we have to either deal with it andwait til next year for the full enchilada (hopefully), or go after it now with big moves. I think Preller is not the kind of guy to wait around if he's beenhit with really bad luck. The effing gnats are winning largely with pitching. We need to match it. We WOULD have had we not had the injuries. but WOULD HAVE doesn't count. My guess is Prelleris gonna match em.....he gonna say "I'll see you and up the ante"....he's a gambler. Tough dude. Just a hunch though.lol (i keep my internet GM card in my pocket at all times to make sure I can travel and get into restaurants ;) )

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
BTW I'm hoping the gnats come down with a couple of key TJ injuries to their starters. Let those a holes see how it feels.

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
If Preller goes all in this year, he better be confident that he can win it.

It's going to screw us down the road.

Reactions: Fender57

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Face it, we got jobbed and very unlucky with our pitching injuries. That was a dagger. So we have to either deal with it andwait til next year for the full enchilada (hopefully), or go after it now with big moves. I think Preller is not the kind of guy to wait around if he's beenhit with really bad luck. The effing gnats are winning largely with pitching. We need to match it. We WOULD have had we not had the injuries. but WOULD HAVE doesn't count. My guess is Prelleris gonna match em.....he gonna say "I'll see you and up the ante"....he's a gambler. Tough dude. Just a hunch though.lol (i keep my internet GM card in my pocket at all times to make sure I can travel and get into restaurants ;) )
darren smith mentioned that padres and scherzer are a match. matter of prospects.

which means hosmer would have to be moved in another deal. nats have bell.

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
darren smith mentioned that padres and scherzer are a match. matter of prospects.

which means hosmer would have to be moved in another deal. nats have bell.
If all these things happen, it means dealing a lot of prospects.

I'm prepared for the destruction of our farm system but I'm not liking it.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I think the Pads oughta become a Luxury Liner ;) I bet Paddack and Frazier would dig this:
Here's the studio version of Luxury Liner, I loved this song and played it a lot back then......I had a pedal steel and tried to play along with it with very marginal success lol (tough as hell instrument to become good at unless you start very young and even better if your dad played it). I do believe Graham Parsons wrote that song. Would be interesting if Paddack got moved to the pen and they played it when he came in LOL

(Fender, I know you are a musician, for me what makes this song incredible is the modulation up within the tune.....and Emmylou had the voice to carry it off too 'cause she had to really extend up a few keys just to reach that and there was zero effort in her voice. Awesome times. I don't know if any country rock like this exists today....if so haven't heard it.....it's like it vanished with the wind when those artists moved on. Dinosaurs.) (for Preller and Seidler lyrics could be "Luxury Tax, 40 tons of steel" lol)......ok and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.......

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So if Gore is untouchable they must still feel extremely confident he's going to pan out and fix whatever it is that is screwing with his mechanics/control. The problem I have with that is why is this taking so long??????? WTF. They started hyping this guy 2 years ago. It's not very damn hot lava, cause it's stuck in one place and that is lava rock. It's room temp. Heat the damn thing up and get it to flow.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
and has there been any news on Abrams' broken leg? Is he healing up and avoided surgery or what?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Here's the studio version of Luxury Liner, I loved this song and played it a lot back then......I had a pedal steel and tried to play along with it with very marginal success lol (tough as hell instrument to become good at unless you start very young and even better if your dad played it). I do believe Graham Parsons wrote that song. Would be interesting if Paddack got moved to the pen and they played it when he came in LOL

(Fender, I know you are a musician, for me what makes this song incredible is the modulation up within the tune.....and Emmylou had the voice to carry it off too 'cause she had to really extend up a few keys just to reach that and there was zero effort in her voice. Awesome times. I don't know if any country rock like this exists today....if so haven't heard it.....it's like it vanished with the wind when those artists moved on. Dinosaurs.) (for Preller and Seidler lyrics could be "Luxury Tax, 40 tons of steel" lol)......ok and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.......
Yeah, Emmylou has the chops to pull off that modulation. That guitar playing sure sounded like the great James Burton, sure enough I looked it up and it was.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Snell is a microcosm of why I think Preller shouldn’t go all in this year and focus on next year. Maybe they get lucky and get hot with this squad, but they just strike me as a team that is not complete.

Reactions: TTK and Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Snell is a microcosm of why I think Preller shouldn’t go all in this year and focus on next year. Maybe they get lucky and get hot with this squad, but they just strike me as a team that is not complete.
yeah I keep vaccilating between this perspective and the other like harry and harder....go for it now. LOL. I can see both viewpoints. The thing to keep in mind though is Machado contract runs out in 2 years right? Is that our window or do we extend him or replace? That's a hell of a lot of money to absorb once again on top of whatever we do now to try to bolster this team and get a ring. Relying on Clev and Lamet et al to return to 100% might not be such a great idea, i mean it can happen for sure. I don't know. Like I said I don't have a lot of faith in this pitching staff. We got jobbed badly by the injuries. Preller can either wait and see if the injured heal up for next year at 100% or go after it hard now. He just strikes me as the kind of guy who goes after it. Maybe he's harry in disguise LOLOLOLOL.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
WTF....5-0 already in the 2nd YGBSM. Snell sucks. He's a headcase or something. Preller is likely kicking himself now for going after this dud. He's not gonna change , he's had half a season to do that. He's beyond repair. Deal the damn guy. Problem with that is doubt anyone would want him now after seeing this and his prior history this year. Now runners at the corners and now outs in the 4th. Hey Tingler just let him roll.....let them score 24 on us.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
glad I forgot it was a day game and didn't have to suffer thru snell in the 1st and 2nd....lol...unfortunately I turned it on now to witness this meltdown. Jeebus what a loser. What makes them think every damn game hes' gonna suddenly turn around half a year of total crap?