2021 hopefully truncated season Padres thread

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I don’t think they need another bat. Help with pitching yes.
Agree pitching way more needed. A starter, i hope beerios, and thats about it unless they go really big and want to bury the dogs and gnats and go after kimbrel to move shark to setup , if pom not 100 % , and last need one more bat. Preller is capable of anything lol

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
are you guys comfortable wirh peacock or misgrove starting a play off game?
I think we need another starter but these two (along with an inconsistent Snell who you could have thrown into this question) are who we are this year and we just might have to go with them in October. You can get away with a short rotation in the NLDS but since they will likely have to play a wild card game they will need four.

Reactions: TTK

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
go after kimbrel to move shark to setup
After all that Melancon has contributed, successfully it should be noted, it would be bad form to just stick Kimbrel in the closer spot and it could very well backfire. I’d be more interested in beefing up the middle relievers than swapping out Melancon.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The Pads need to focus on getting Beereios. If they could get one of these guys too they’d be pretty good to go into the postseason.

7) Ian Kennedy, Rangers RHP (reliever)
The veteran right-hander has been solid for the Rangers this season, posting a 2.59 ERA with 33 strikeouts and just seven walks over 31 1/3 innings. Kennedy will be a free agent after the season and is owed less than $1 million in 2021, making him one of the more inexpensive bullpen upgrades out there.

8) Daniel Hudson, Nationals RHP (reliever)
Another candidate to be part of the Nationals’ fire sale, Hudson has allowed just one earned run in eight appearances (8 1/3 innings) this month. He has a postseason track record and can fill a variety of late-inning bullpen roles, is owed a little more than $2 million this season and is slated to become a free agent this fall.

10) Richard Rodríguez, Pirates RHP (reliever)
No position is more coveted at this time of year than relief pitching, and given Rodríguez's modest salary ($1.7 million) and two more years of control, the righty should be a popular trade target in the coming days.

Reactions: Gill Man

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
The Pads need to focus on getting Beereios. If they could get one of these guys too they’d be pretty good to go into the postseason.

7) Ian Kennedy, Rangers RHP (reliever)
The veteran right-hander has been solid for the Rangers this season, posting a 2.59 ERA with 33 strikeouts and just seven walks over 31 1/3 innings. Kennedy will be a free agent after the season and is owed less than $1 million in 2021, making him one of the more inexpensive bullpen upgrades out there.

8) Daniel Hudson, Nationals RHP (reliever)
Another candidate to be part of the Nationals’ fire sale, Hudson has allowed just one earned run in eight appearances (8 1/3 innings) this month. He has a postseason track record and can fill a variety of late-inning bullpen roles, is owed a little more than $2 million this season and is slated to become a free agent this fall.

10) Richard Rodríguez, Pirates RHP (reliever)
No position is more coveted at this time of year than relief pitching, and given Rodríguez's modest salary ($1.7 million) and two more years of control, the righty should be a popular trade target in the coming days.

i like beerios and kimbrel.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
no. use them both. plus you keep the dodgers or giants from getting him.
If Melancon was an inconsistent closer, then that would make sense but Melancon is pretty much the Fireman of the Year, I don’t think Kimbrel is a missing piece and preventing the Dogs from getting him is not enough of a reason to acquire him. Bad move IMO.

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
If Paddack, Musgrove, Snell are still having consistency issues by the end of the season, I don't see why we wouldn't go with a combination of our starters.

They can usually go 3 or 4 innings without big problems. Do the piggyback thing they like they did with Weathers/Lamet. They only have to face the batting order 1 or 2 times. It would seem to play to our strengths more than to force them to try to go 6 or 7. You don't have to do that in the playoffs.

The starters have been better recently so it matters how they're doing by the end of the season. But the trade deadline is Friday so I don't know what Preller will do. I think it all comes down to the price tag of whoever they're trying to get.

Reactions: Fender57

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
Acee:

That may not have been Chris Paddack’s best game of the season, but it might have been his most impressive.

We will focus straightaway on Paddack.

We will do so for two reasons — because his going six innings is what the Padres need and because his doing so is what he needed.

“It’s definitely both,” Tingler said. “How much it helps the team, not only tonight but also going forward. And I think it’s just a great step in Paddy’s continued development.”

Paddack issued his first walk of the game with one out in the sixth inning. His first two pitches to the next batter, Matt Chapman, were balls. That brought pitching coach Larry Rothschild to the mound. Rothschild often visits with information on how to attack a hitter, with a reminder about mechanics or with encouragement.

“Larry came out there and let me have it a little bit,” Paddack said. “He just reminded me I’ve begged and wanted this opportunity to show I could go more than 100 pitches and to stay out there and get a quality start … and they finally trusted me and let me go out there for the sixth. After that, I was pretty fired up.”

The fact that Paddack’s six quality starts are most by a Padres pitcher over the past 10 weeks is alarming. It says as much as anything about why they are searching for pitchers at the trade deadline.

Paddack’s start last night was the latest example the group might be beginning to show signs of living up to expectations.

In the last turn through the rotation, Blake Snell, Joe Musgrove and Paddack all went six innings. It was just the third time at least three Padres pitchers have done so in such short order this season. Darvish (seven), Musgrove (seven), Snell and Paddack did it over four consecutive games from May 17-21. Darvish (seven), Musgrove (6 1/3) and Paddack did it from June 9-13.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
“He just reminded me I’ve begged and wanted this opportunity to show I could go more than 100 pitches and to stay out there and get a quality start … and they finally trusted me and let me go out there for the sixth. After that, I was pretty fired up.”
Wow, showing some tough love and it worked. “You wanted to be The Sheriff, now step up”.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Acee:

That may not have been Chris Paddack’s best game of the season, but it might have been his most impressive.

We will focus straightaway on Paddack.

We will do so for two reasons — because his going six innings is what the Padres need and because his doing so is what he needed.

“It’s definitely both,” Tingler said. “How much it helps the team, not only tonight but also going forward. And I think it’s just a great step in Paddy’s continued development.”

Paddack issued his first walk of the game with one out in the sixth inning. His first two pitches to the next batter, Matt Chapman, were balls. That brought pitching coach Larry Rothschild to the mound. Rothschild often visits with information on how to attack a hitter, with a reminder about mechanics or with encouragement.

“Larry came out there and let me have it a little bit,” Paddack said. “He just reminded me I’ve begged and wanted this opportunity to show I could go more than 100 pitches and to stay out there and get a quality start … and they finally trusted me and let me go out there for the sixth. After that, I was pretty fired up.”

The fact that Paddack’s six quality starts are most by a Padres pitcher over the past 10 weeks is alarming. It says as much as anything about why they are searching for pitchers at the trade deadline.

Paddack’s start last night was the latest example the group might be beginning to show signs of living up to expectations.

In the last turn through the rotation, Blake Snell, Joe Musgrove and Paddack all went six innings. It was just the third time at least three Padres pitchers have done so in such short order this season. Darvish (seven), Musgrove (seven), Snell and Paddack did it over four consecutive games from May 17-21. Darvish (seven), Musgrove (6 1/3) and Paddack did it from June 9-13.
they need to repeat the process the rest of the season.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
• The New York Metsare very interested in José Berríos, but not so much in the price tag associated with acquiring the durable right-hander. The Mets were said to have sticker shock at the Twins’ early ask — at least two top-100 prospects or a top prospect and a pre-arbitration eligible major-leaguer — and haven’t pursued him, not wanting to get into a bidding war against the San Diego Padres, Los Angeles Dodgersand Toronto Blue Jays, each of whom has a better farm system.

I think again, might be Mad Max.

More on Gallo. And I think/guess that's the way Preller would like to go.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
If twins are asking that for beerios then a no go. Maybe thats why pd scouts were checling maeda? re kimbrel, i agree w harder it could work to alternate w shark if the have different stregths, you put them each against the batters the are gonna likely be max effective against. So one is not necessarily always closer or setup. Could be lethal.

if the batting remains like last night our starters could be ok for early playoffs. I doubt they go deep against the very best teams though. Im not comfortable w our starters other than darvish to this point. Add one and pray the others dont crash and burn. Add another bat and it helps that limitation. We find out against the gnats How competitive we are. If we are making moves depleting prospects why just get your team positioned to hope for a wild card and maybe 2series? Go for the gusto..2year window w machado.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
After all that Melancon has contributed, successfully it should be noted, it would be bad form to just stick Kimbrel in the closer spot and it could very well backfire. I’d be more interested in beefing up the middle relievers than swapping out Melancon.
How about mix and match the 2? Unorthodox but could be lethal.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
oh and i said it before, trades affect chemistry. tros trade can do that, but truly the guy has not been earning his pay at the plate. Wont get much value for him in a trade if anyone even wants him. We may be stuck for better or worse. Hopefully he goes on another tear during second half.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I'm not comfortable right now with any of them except Darvish frankly. Just the way it is. If they make improvement as Paddack seems to be doing and get to 6 innings regularly fine...but not counting on it. That was the A's after all. They have to demonstrate they do it consistently againt the tomato cans as well as the elite teams......that takes time to determine unfortunately and we are running out of time for them to come around consistently. It's a bitch we had all those injuries...it is what it is. Preller is attempting to fix it and can't fault him if he give up a lot to do it.......our window is now and the next 2 years. I guess the low risk strategy is to improve slightly now and hope for the best this year and hope next year is our time. The high risk/high reward strategy is to go all in on getting us a ring NOW....that means sacrifice no matter how you cut it. I see Preller as a gambler of sorts ,,,,,,,,he's good ,,,,,,I like it.....go big or go home. We have a 2 year window with manny.....he is under the gun to get things done now , not hope for next year or the year after. Tough job. I wouldn't want it if my family dependson it. Produce or you are expendable. The way it's always been. I think Seidler has given him a long leash and a big pocketbook.....if so he must be a great owner, probably the best we've had in this town since Barron Hilton. I hope this lasts. lol.......as tkk said, it can become unsustainable. But different owners have different levels of flexibility and I'm hoping Seider isn't a cheapskate like spanos the con artist. I doubt he is even close to that and he is likely 180 degrees the opposite. I think if we ever get another NFL team Tsai would be the same way. :tup:

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I'm not comfortable right now with any of them except Darvish frankly. Just the way it is. If they make improvement as Paddack seems to be doing and get to 6 innings regularly fine...but not counting on it. That was the A's after all.
i am comfortable with dharvish snell and weathers. peacock being the 4th if needed.

plus you habe lamet who can be a long reliever.