2021 hopefully truncated season Padres thread

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I dont remember a time in padres history where two prospects have been a success like tatis and weathers.
There might be more but Roberto Alomar and Benito Santiago come to mind. Tony Gwynn and Kevin McReynolds before that, and they also had Dravecky, Show and Hawkins in that mix. But it’s been a long dry spell since then, we get lucky every once in awhile with someone like Khalil Greene.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
the larger point i was making that the farm sustem has stunk for decades. it is my understanding that it takes 4-5 years for player to enter a teams farm system and produce. Now, I know college players are different. Preller took over in 2015 and had to totally reconstruct the farm system from the floor up. To me this is the first year we are seeing the fruits of prellers labor show itself. I dont remember a time in padres history where two prospects have been a success like tatis and weathers. I really believe that abrams would have been another if not for his injury. I know we bag on peacock but you have to call him a success if you look ar his whole body of work. Caratini has held down the catching position while nola was on the mend. Also, if lamet didnt get hurt, he would have been a stud. You cant blame preller for injuries. I guesz you can say that this team has been built by in large by having a solid farm system.
yeah true....is you look at all those ESPN gamecast previews I put up that list the injuries.....we have about a dozen pitchers I'd say and of those many if not most are prospects. We have to figure out a way to avoid the injury prone players....elbows are tough to deal with......I'm not sure how you do that though......I'd imagine if all those including Lamet and Cleve and the prospect stayed healthy this year we'd be #1 and leading the division by 3 or 4, except that guys like Tros andMyers and some others have been holes in the batting lineup for much of the year so maybe even more formidable had we been swinging the bats like in 2020. I'm pizzed at MLB for changing the baseball. They wrecked the Padres doing that and probably helped others. Eff that stuff. Stick with the standard and stay with it. Quit trying to rig up the game to create more revenue. It backfired and did the opposite.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Speaking of:
Kaprielian scheduled to start for Oakland against San Diego
12:21 AM PT
Oakland Athletics (56-45, second in the AL West) vs. San Diego Padres (58-44, third in the NL West)
San Diego; Tuesday, 10:10 p.m. EDT

PITCHING PROBABLES: Athletics: James Kaprielian (5-3, 2.65 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 73 strikeouts) Padres: Chris Paddack (6-6, 4.76 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 84 strikeouts)
LINE: Padres -155, Athletics +136; over/under is 8 1/2 runs
BOTTOM LINE: The Oakland Athletics travel to take on the San Diego Padres on Tuesday.
The Padres are 33-19 on their home turf. San Diego has slugged .409 this season. Fernando Tatis Jr. leads the club with a .645 slugging percentage, including 48 extra-base hits and 30 home runs.
The Athletics are 26-21 on the road. Oakland is hitting a collective .232 this season, led by Matt Olson with an average of .287.
TOP PERFORMERS: Manny Machado leads the Padres with 68 RBI and is batting .272.
Olson leads the Athletics with 27 home runs and is slugging .588.
LAST 10 GAMES: Padres: 5-5, .256 batting average, 4.27 ERA, outscored opponents by 16 runs
Athletics: 5-5, .229 batting average, 2.67 ERA, outscored opponents by 10 runs
INJURIES: Padres: Trey Wingenter: (elbow), Taylor Williams: (knee), Matt Strahm: (knee), Nick Ramirez: (rotator cuff), Adrian Morejon: (left forearm), Dinelson Lamet: (forearm), Keone Kela: (right forearm), Javy Guerra: (right elbow), Mike Clevinger: (elbow), Jose Castillo: (undisclosed), Michel Baez: (right elbow), Dan Altavilla: (elbow), Jorge Ona: (right elbow).
Athletics: Trevor Rosenthal: (chest), Mike Fiers: (right elbow), Chad Pinder: (hamstring).
------

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
is Frazier going to be playing for the Pads tonite???.......see that line Top Performers? Frazier will be taking Manny's place soon. And is Tati in another slump? He was in that category and batting 300 at the Break.....if he's down lower than Manny he's had a horrible 2 weeks.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Actually my point is not about trading away a player who becomes an all star. It's about having a roster that is not so to heavy in salary. I don't see this being sustainable in a small market for very long. Trading another top prospect for Gallo just adds another huge salary.
Myers comes off the book after next year. Hosmer's salary will be traded away.
Pham is gone after this year.

That is boatload of salary off the books.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
SD farm system will be all right. It's the cycle of pitcher major injuries they have to get over,
I love fans saying keep the prospects...then saying Gore is a bust. Get rid of him.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
SD farn system will be all right. It's the cycle of pitcher major injuries they have to get over,
I love fans saying keep the prospects...then saying Gore is a bust. Get rid of him.
Yes, as i said there are many hot lava injuries. And its true so far weathers is the only feather in prellers cap re prospects panning out yet, and he still needs time. And gore Is a BIP. Take that either way , bust or blister. If you look at the list, Baez might have been a dagger in the heart for this year, they apparenly had high hopes.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Could be an anti Dodgers move plus an eight inning reliever set up.

10:49AM: The Cubs completed another trade last night in sending Andrew Chafin to the Athletics, setting the stage for what should be a very busy week of transactions for Chicago in advance of Friday’s 3pm CT trade deadline. Many of the biggest names remain, and rumors continue to circulate about where these top names could land.

Closer Craig Kimbrel is drawing much of the buzz, and The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Padres are among the teams interested in the veteran reliever. While many of the Cubs’ most notable trade chips are rental players, Kimbrel is controlled through the 2022 season due to a $16MM club option. He also has around $5.5MM remaining in salary for this season, so he isn’t an entirely inexpensive proposition for a team looking at the right-hander as just a rental.

This is a particular factor for a team like the Padres, who are facing a luxury tax overage for the first time in franchise history. Team ownership is willing to make that leap beyond the $210MM payroll threshold, though the Padres are naturally exploring ways (such as unloading Eric Hosmer’s contract) to avoid the tax if at all possible.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
BTW, Manny can opt out in 2024. Darvish will be 37 and a free agent. Grisham and Crone won't be playing for peanuts anymore.

Maybe our window is two more years anyway. ;)

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Gilly.....you sound like a fair weathers fan to me.

;)
Ha ha, good one. fair weathers i surface and seek prey and take in a game at Petco, foul weathers i enjoy a nice swim and avoid Petco. :tup:

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
BTW, Manny can opt out in 2024. Darvish will be 37 and a free agent. Grisham and Crone won't be playing for peanuts anymore.

Maybe our window is two more years anyway. ;)
Best CPA wins the race.lol

Reactions: Harryo the K

TTK

Swag Chain! SPIN IT!
Jul 30, 2007
Tingler fools us all!

Frazier in LF, Pham in RF, Hosmer at 1B. Myers on the bench.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Awesome....mud interviewing Adam Frazier in the pregame. I am a big Adam Frazier fan after that one. Cool guy. Funny he likes country music, Mud does not. lol.
It's perfect with him leading off.....he makes contact and would get on base more than any other. My only reservation is the speed factor and stealing which I like the leadoff hitter to have. Unfortunately we don't have a hitter with the avg of Frazier to get on and also have the speed. This should be very interesting.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Frazier said he's completely fine being the 'swiss army knife' and playing multiple positions, anything to help the club win....his main desire is to just win. So he's played multiple positions. OF and infield .....seems a lot like he's displacing Kim more than anyone, the difference being he's gonna get more playing time and AB's than Kim. If they unload Tros then he'll play more infield. And if they have to keep eating Tros' salary then Tros will just go to the pine more if he continues to sputter off and on, and Frazier will be at 2nd a lot.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
big DP to end the inning.....nice......Tros done good there.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Paddack throwing some heat tonite. Plus adding in that wicked breaking ball a few times that got a strikeout for the 2nd out. Heater got the 3rd out. Keep it up. A few hiccups but holding so far.