2021 hopefully not truncated season Padres thread

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
ha ha ha....Mateo not only strikes out with 2 huge whiffs but spits all over his own face walking away. Nice.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
damn,,,,,,they can't get 2 innings out of the guy?? wtf.....Tinker/Rothschild again. Let the damn guy go til he drops if they have to....we got a game to win. Hill bothers me.
He’s 36 years old, they probably want to save his arm. He has had an up and down career, sort of like Rosenthal.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Man that loss hurts......if Mateo catches that long ball early instead of letting it bounce right out of his glove for a HR we win. If we have half a batting lineup we win. This sucks. They gotta get going with the run production...seems like way too many guys undisciplined at the plate and clueless right now.....Campy, Mateo, Pham, those kinds of guys. Not doing us much good right now.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
For whatever reason, no matter what, it seems like the Giants always give the Padres fits. I was hoping with Bochy gone that would change but it seems like they can’t put these punks away.

Reactions: TTK and Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He’s 36 years old, they probably want to save his arm. He has had an up and down career, sort of like Rosenthal.
I don't know.....this having to 'save arms' thing is a bummer.....when you have a tie game like that then turn it over to a guy like Hill.....I know Hill has looked better than prior years of late but damn.....I don't have a huge amount of faith in him yet.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Man that loss hurts......if Mateo catches that long ball early instead of letting it bounce right out of his glove for a HR we win. If we have half a batting lineup we win. This sucks. They gotta get going with the run production...seems like way too many guys undisciplined at the plate and clueless right now.....Campy, Mateo, Pham, those kinds of guys. Not doing us much good right now.
If Hill fields that ball we’re still playing. The little things bit them in the ass today.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
For whatever reason, no matter what, it seems like the Giants always give the Padres fits. I was hoping with Bochy gone that would change but it seems like they can’t put these punks away.
crazy to let that team beat this team like this......it's mainly our bats right now.....their pitching is not that stellar....

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don't know.....this having to 'save arms' thing is a bummer.....when you have a tie game like that then turn it over to a guy like Hill.....I know Hill has looked better than prior years of late but damn.....I don't have a huge amount of faith in him yet.
Hill has actually pitched pretty well. I don’t disagree with you on the saving arms thing but every time they try to extend their closer (Yates, Rosey, hell even Hoffman back in the day) it backfires.

Reactions: TTK and Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
If Hill fields that ball we’re still playing. The little things bit them in the ass today.
yup....2 fielding plays beat us believe it or not.....but we should not be in that situation to begin with if our bats live up to the hype. Our bats suck right now. No consistency...even Hos thus far in this series is not the same Hos...but better than most of the other guys other than maybe Myers/Caratini.....what is with Machado???? In a major slump to start the year???

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hill has actually pitched pretty well. I don’t disagree with you on the saving arms thing but every time they try to extend their closer (Yates, Rosey, hell even Hoffman back in the day) it backfires.
yeah it can do that.....it can backfire....dammit I hate losing to the fcking gnats like this.....that team is just not that good. We are way underachieving right now. Eh it's still early in the year but these types of games , when it's all counted at the end, are the ones you look back on as 'what if'.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
this lineup blows. no faith.

we need nola, gisham and tatis or we are in trouble.
Our bats suck right now. No consistency...even Hos thus far in this series is not the same Hos...but better than most of the other guys other than maybe Myers/Caratini.....what is with Machado???? In a major slump to start the year???
Our offense is pretty offensive. Thought they turned the corner against Arizona but this series it was the same ol same ol.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yeah it can do that.....it can backfire....dammit I hate losing to the fcking gnats like this.....that team is just not that good. We are way underachieving right now. Eh it's still early in the year but these types of games , when it's all counted at the end, are the ones you look back on as 'what if'.
Agree, I hate the Giants worse than the Dogs. Their fans are way more obnoxious and that’s saying a lot!

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I'm gonna reserve judgement on Hill, but I think this goes back to the 'closer by committee' thing. I don't feel comfortable not having a shutdown intimidator closer who can come in and just burn the ball right by the other team...and someone with enough of an arm to last a few innings too. I Melancon is that fragile...not gonna be the answer. And if Hill is just 'pretty good', not gonna be the answer. This is one of the things I was concerned about. Someone has to step up into a true intimidator closer role or my guess is we are stuck in MAYBE 2nd place and go out early in the playoffs. Only way around that is the bats are so damn good it doesn't matter 75% of the time.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I'm gonna reserve judgement on Hill, but I think this goes back to the 'closer by committee' thing. I don't feel comfortable not having a shutdown intimidator closer who can come in and just burn the ball right by the other team...and someone with enough of an arm to last a few innings too. I Melancon is that fragile...not gonna be the answer. And if Hill is just 'pretty good', not gonna be the answer. This is one of the things I was concerned about. Someone has to step up into a true intimidator closer role or my guess is we are stuck in MAYBE 2nd place and go out early in the playoffs. Only way around that is the bats are so damn good it doesn't matter 75% of the time.
We don't have a closer by committee right now. Melacon is the closer. And closers don't often go more than one inning. The other guys just need to step up and they have for the most part. They've probably been the brightest spot overall so far. I only saw a tiny part of the game but I can't hate too much on the bullpen overall right now.

And Manny always seems to start out slow. Tatis was the rah-rah guy to get everyone going. I don't think we really have anyone else that can step up and fill that role if he's out. Manny, Myers, Hosmer, they're all quiet leaders. Maybe Mateo? But he's not a starter so that wouldn't work.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
We don't have a closer by committee right now. Melacon is the closer. And closers don't often go more than one inning. The other guys just need to step up and they have for the most part. They've probably been the brightest spot overall so far. I only saw a tiny part of the game but I can't hate too much on the bullpen overall right now.

And Manny always seems to start out slow. Tatis was the rah-rah guy to get everyone going. I don't think we really have anyone else that can step up and fill that role if he's out. Manny, Myers, Hosmer, they're all quiet leaders. Maybe Mateo? But he's not a starter so that wouldn't work.
yeah true closers don't go often more than one but in this case where it's tied up and you bring him in....and he's killing it like Melancon was....try 2 innings every now and then. Not gonna kill the guy. I'm not bagging on the bullpen because they saved us last night. We are good there...it's the decision Tingler made IMO.

And yes it's the bats right now.....with our bats doing what they are capable of we aren't in this position and probably are undefeated still. If's and but's don't win games though. They have to step up. With Tatis out someone else has to assume that role ....no mopers allowed. I don't think they are doing that . They just arent really in the batting groove , AT ALL.

Reactions: TTK and Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So we started out winning 3 of 4,,,,,,now we have lost 3 of 4. Like we did a 180.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So getting back Nola, Grisham, Tatis should fix the bats but my issue is if this is a champion team, you should have enough depth to compensate. I don't see it with this team unfortunately, at least not early in the year when we knew we were missing guys.....maybe they are all just slumping....Tatis is really the only change since the DB series. DB's maybe just suck that bad. Has Pham even done a thing??? Capistrano?? Marcano??? Kim had a few good AB's there but of late , where's his bat now? There are guys like that littered thru the lineup. I think they are marginal. maybe we are overrated in the depth dept.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Damn, yup we avoided a disaster. No wonder he struggled in the plaoffs. Likely hes done, tough break. Btw hows Kirby doing, the guy i wanted to keep?

Reactions: Faded Blues

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
i wonder if there is a part of the brain responsible for sabremetrics , we can send Tingler in to get that removed.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Damn, yup we avoided a disaster. No wonder he struggled in the plaoffs. Likely hes done, tough break. Btw hows Kirby doing, the guy i wanted to keep?
Dodged another bullet. TJ surgery.