2021 hopefully not truncated season Padres thread

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Padres: Dinelson Lamet, RHP
Even with Mike Clevinger out for the year, the Padres might be in possession of three aces atop their rotation in Blake Snell, Yu Darvish and Lamet, who broke out in 2020. But Lamet’s elbow/biceps ailment required a platelet-rich plasma injection last October and caused him to miss the postseason. If he comes back strong this spring, we’ll be that much more bullish about San Diego’s chances of taking down the Dodgers.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Padres: Dinelson Lamet, RHP
Even with Mike Clevinger out for the year, the Padres might be in possession of three aces atop their rotation in Blake Snell, Yu Darvish and Lamet, who broke out in 2020. But Lamet’s elbow/biceps ailment required a platelet-rich plasma injection last October and caused him to miss the postseason. If he comes back strong this spring, we’ll be that much more bullish about San Diego’s chances of taking down the Dodgers.

yeah Lamet is key IMO.....it's a big risk, he claims (or acee claims) he's 100%. He got PRP which speeds healing. But as you said, his pitching style makes him prone to reinjury and I would not be at all surprised if the guy doesn't last again and requires surgery. Sure hope not, just sayin' I'd not pin my hopes on that guy lasting an entire year, particularly if he's a workhorse. Now if they limit him (which Ipersonally hate) AND go with a 6 man rotation , the guy would probalby have a much better chance of lasting thru the season and into the playoffs. The issue is if he has to be limited, you HAVE to have another couple of huge aces and that hopefully will be Snell and/or Darvish stepping up and being just as intimidating as Lamet was at he peak last year.

And then the other key for the Pads obviously is at the closer part of the rotation. Pagan is a huge question mark. If he is the same mediocre pitcher we've seen lately then that leaves Pom to carry the load on the back end. There is much depth to try to fill the setup guy, but not the closer IMO. I still think a team needs a badass closer who intimidates and Pom to me is much better at that than is Pagan. We'll see. Spring training will provide a lot of answers.

Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Preller: then and now.
ugh, don't remind me of then. He's made some really good moves as they say....that Tatis deal is unreal. Whole different team and circumstances, Wil Myers is right. Another thing, he was patient with Myers and kept the guy.....we were all down on that guy but now look, last year he was a very key piece of the puzzle....it should continue....he just needed help around him in the lineup IMO and maybe get enough guys playing top notch to give him the confidence. Damn he had a great year in 2020, even though it was a shortened season.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
What I liked about the article was that Preller had a good self-awareness about his shortcomings and need for growth. I like that Fowler took him under his wing and taught him some things about business, it obviously helped. Even though we need a closer I liked that we made virtually all of our key acquisitions via trade and without a big break-the-bank free agent signing - that was reserved for someone who deserved it, Tatis.

My only remaining reservation is his choice of manager. I am more hopeful this year than last year (I was super impressed with the series clincher against St. Louis, bullpen day!) but I still have PTSD over Assjack Smith and Norv and the Tingler hire reminds me so much of it. This year is the year I will eat crow, otherwise it will be an eternity of “I told you so” - for everyone’s sake (mine included) let’s hope I’m looking up crow recipes come November.

Reactions: Gill Man and TTK

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Paddack looking sharp - right Gilly? :roflmao:
View attachment 8574

LOL.....HOT DAMN!!!! Lookin good.....now watch him show up in real action in the regular season in those dumbass stirrups and white sox LOL. Taht is encouraging though but I'll believe it when he shows in a regular game the same way 'cause maybe that's his TC uni. Those are sharp sox and shoes!!! Yates must have bitch slapped him on the way out lolz. I swear they all read this forum LMAO!!!! They need to consult me for sartorial decisions from now on.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hey I figured it out.....he's wearing those because he was worried his stirrups would get hung up on the cone drill :roflmao: :laugh: :p

• Haha

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I hope not! But the hair has GOT TO GO!
mullet.....damn. Anyone ever seen a sheriff with a mullett? I guess he could be an enfocer in hockey , wrong sport though. Well if he doesn't make it in MLB there's a job for him driving a Zamboni somewhere.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Anyone have a subscription to the Athletic? If so, can you paste please?
I don't but that sounds like an article worth reading. From a GM perspective would like to know the long term viability of what Preller is doing. Time will tell, but as a SD fan with PTSD just like you, I fear we are heading off a cliff. If we win a WS doing so, worth it. If we don't, well, it's the same damn thing again, unless Preller has the long term part of all this covered. If anyone gets that article somewhere andcan copy and post, would be appreciated.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don't but that sounds like an article worth reading. From a GM perspective would like to know the long term viability of what Preller is doing. Time will tell, but as a SD fan with PTSD just like you, I fear we are heading off a cliff. If we win a WS doing so, worth it. If we don't, well, it's the same damn thing again, unless Preller has the long term part of all this covered. If anyone gets that article somewhere andcan copy and post, would be appreciated.
During the press conference show, they went back to the studio and they interviewed Jayson Stark from The Athletic. He did not write the article but they asked him his opinion on the sustainability and he surmised that the move to making Seidler the lead owner was not coincidental, and that he may be making a commitment/investment out of his own pocket in accordance to a “bigger picture” plan the team has.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
During the press conference show, they went back to the studio and they interviewed Jayson Stark from The Athletic. He did not write the article but they asked him his opinion on the sustainability and he surmised that the move to making Seidler the lead owner was not coincidental, and that he may be making a commitment/investment out of his own pocket in accordance to a “bigger picture” plan the team has.
well the more money the better lol. Maybe we get on a more even footing if our ownership has huge dollars to spend and are really committed to winning even if they have to blow some cash, which, if they are rich enough, might not be something they have a difficult time with. If you had to imagine such a being, think of deano and then do a complete 180 across the spectrum of owners. deano is at the left end of the bell shaped curve....right down to the baseline there at the tail (-3std dev) and the avg/decent owners in the middle at the top of the curve, and the really tremdous owners are out at the right tail at that baseline +3 std dev.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
well the more money the better lol. Maybe we get on a more even footing if our ownership has huge dollars to spend and are really committed to winning even if they have to blow some cash, which, if they are rich enough, might not be something they have a difficult time with. If you had to imagine such a being, think of deano and then do a complete 180 across the spectrum of owners. deano is at the left end of the bell shaped curve....right down to the baseline there at the tail (-3std dev) and the avg/decent owners in the middle at the top of the curve, and the really tremdous owners are out at the right tail at that baseline +3 std dev.
Speaking of that despicable prick Dean Spanos, the studio guys mentioned a few times how the San Diego fans really needed this signing to “indicate the team is not only committed to winning, but is committed to the city, that they’re not going anywhere”. A not so thinly veiled dig at Asshole Spanos.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Speaking of that despicable prick Dean Spanos, the studio guys mentioned a few times how the San Diego fans really needed this signing to “indicate the team is not only committed to winning, but is committed to the city, that they’re not going anywhere”. A not so thinly veiled dig at Asshole Spanos.
spot on! As we've said we all have PTSD re: sports in SD and prick spanos is BY FAR the largest dickhead and reason for it. San Diegans always have been and always will be hugely supportive of sports teams and would also have been of the NFL had spanos not been such a total jerkoff and bilked the fans and city and taxpayers out of money. The stupid city council allowed it. So we have very little trust and faith now until someone SHOWS us with a championship that they have indeed committed to winning and staying.

Re: the NFL and SD. This city did something NO other NFL city has EVER done on 1994 when they had that unprecedented spontaneous celebration welcome home extravaganza at the Murph after we beat Pitt and won the AFC to advance to our first SB. We strongly supported with huge community spirit whenever a winning team was put on the field and had a chance to go deep in the playoffs.That happened several times. But for almost 2 decades spanos did everything in his power to eff that up and make sure it didn't happen again. I have always believed Fabiani and spenis conspired to leave at LEAST 10 years before they did and likely even before that , at the time Fabiani was hired. He was vice mayor of LA after all...a huge conflict of interest in trying to get a stadium deal in SD while leveraging it all with threats to move to LA/Carson. Spenis can forget about EVER having any celebration like 1994 while he is in LA. He is not even wanted there and never will be. It's Raiders/Rams/ and all the other LA teams, and a far distant last is the bumbling chuggernauts.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
More on the “Big Picture”.

There is obviously a huge marketing opportunity with Fernando, not only with the team but all of MLB. Think of Mahomes, who has made himself into a brand that not only benefits himself, but both the Chiefs and and the NFL can use to promote their respective business entities. For the Padres, who are on the hook to pay him, this means not only local promotions like more season tickets, but also National and even international implications. He’s a great cornerstone to build upon, and if they can parlay his brand into areas like this, the salary should pay for itself. If not, I’m sure there was a full blown risk assessment done before signing him. Their whole strategy of trading to upgrade and staying away from Bauer makes sense, it was all to setup signing Fernando.

At the presser Preller said they started talking contract after the season. He laid out three options for Fernando: he could just go year to year til he became a free agent; he could upgrade and sign a deal to take him to free agency, or they could talk long term, and Fernando jumped on long term. So Preller worked on a deal and flew to the Dominican Republic to talk some more and presented a 12-year deal that included some requirements Fernando had: no-trade and no opt-out. Fernando countered with 14 years and the deal was struck. That was easy wasn’t it? No acrimony, no posing, just two sides that wanted the same thing, and they made it happen.

Reactions: TTK

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
spot on! As we've said we all have PTSD re: sports in SD and prick spanos is BY FAR the largest dickhead and reason for it. San Diegans always have been and always will be hugely supportive of sports teams and would also have been of the NFL had spanos not been such a total jerkoff and bilked the fans and city and taxpayers out of money. The stupid city council allowed it. So we have very little trust and faith now until someone SHOWS us with a championship that they have indeed committed to winning and staying.

Re: the NFL and SD. This city did something NO other NFL city has EVER done on 1994 when they had that unprecedented spontaneous celebration welcome home extravaganza at the Murph after we beat Pitt and won the AFC to advance to our first SB. We strongly supported with huge community spirit whenever a winning team was put on the field and had a chance to go deep in the playoffs.That happened several times. But for almost 2 decades spanos did everything in his power to eff that up and make sure it didn't happen again. I have always believed Fabiani and spenis conspired to leave at LEAST 10 years before they did and likely even before that , at the time Fabiani was hired. He was vice mayor of LA after all...a huge conflict of interest in trying to get a stadium deal in SD while leveraging it all with threats to move to LA/Carson. Spenis can forget about EVER having any celebration like 1994 while he is in LA. He is not even wanted there and never will be. It's Raiders/Rams/ and all the other LA teams, and a far distant last is the bumbling chuggernauts.
Yup. Bruce Henderson said 1998 after the new deal with the city that the chargers are good as gone. 2 things that kept him here was that he had no cash to pay for his own stadium and spanis was waiting for the time the lease allowed them to leave. After the lease allowed him to leave he turned into a gold digger to beg the nfl to allow him to be stans bitch.

niw he reaps what he sows.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Another roster prediction article, this one goes in depth.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Tatis timeline.

Reactions: wrbanwal

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
big dude....I'd feel better if it wern't acee though. lol. I meanthere is no jersey name there...looks more like Pagan frankly