2021 Chargers Thread

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee
How much longer are you going to give telescope? 8 years and nothing to show for it. This is his team that he has built and rebuilt. They are no closer to winning then when he took over 8 years ago. Honest assessment.
Even a decent draft this year and this is may be a playoff team. Really depends on the coaching staff, the talent is there. It was there last year.

This kid is going to give Mahomes a run for his money.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Los Angeles Chargers Franchise Encyclopedia
Seasons: 62 (1960 to 2021)

Record (W-L-T): 459-462-11

Playoff Record: 12-18

Super Bowls Won: 0 (1 Appearance)

Reactions: Faded Blues

Concudan

Life is really simple, but we make it difficult
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Even a decent draft this year and this is may be a playoff team. Really depends on the coaching staff, the talent is there. It was there last year.

This kid is going to give Mahomes a run for his money.
Agree.
The Coaching staff is a HUGE question mark.
Staley is touted by too many people as a genius, even though when he entered the league as a coach, the Chargers were already in LA.
He had one great Defense (2020 Rams), and that was the one thing everyone labels him a defensive genius for. Is it hard to be a genius with those player? Hell 'Warm Butter' Bradley was a genius when he had great players in the Legion of Boom and Sacksonville. The rest of the time, he could not stop the opposition with 13 men on the field.

I am hopeful for Staley and staff, but I will not be 'crowing their asses' until they earn it. To do otherwise would make me unhappy with good results, because good is not what we want/expect from geniuses is it?

Reactions: captaind

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Funny thing is PFF kept telling everyone Herbie was no good. His success could not be sustained and what not because their super secret metrics told them so...
Now they are all on board as having him as the face of their click bait.

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee
Funny thing is PFF kept telling everyone Herbie was no good. His success could not be sustained and what not because their super secret metrics told them so...
Now they are all on board as having him as the face of their click bait.
I didn't think he was any good either based on what I had seen. Better than Tyrod Taylor, mind you, but nowhere near Tua. He sure proved me wrong. Unlike with Manning-Leaf, we ended up with the right one this time.

I did find it funny that he succeeded in spite of his own coach. Lynn never wanted him out there. He didn't back him up in those first few post-game press conferences, either. That made me pull for him even more....but not too much, because I wanted Lynn out. Last season was such a dichotomy, but it worked out quite nicely in the end.

Reactions: Concudan

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I didn't think he was any good either based on what I had seen. Better than Tyrod Taylor, mind you, but nowhere near Tua. He sure proved me wrong. Unlike with Manning-Leaf, we ended up with the right one this time.

I did find it funny that he succeeded in spite of his own coach. Lynn never wanted him out there. He didn't back him up in those first few post-game press conferences, either. That made me pull for him even more....but not too much, because I wanted Lynn out. Last season was such a dichotomy, but it worked out quite nicely in the end.
Lynn was such an idiot. I remember the quote “he’s a backup for a reason” after his outstanding debut against KC and I thought to myself that either he was a complete moron or a stubborn fool (because Tyrod was “his guy”). Turns out he was both.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I think Herbert excelled due to Lynn's offense. The screen dominated offensive plays allow Herbert to make pass after pass short range which he was good at. Also good on the deep ball.
It's the middle ground where, 15-20 yard pass that he to me did not do well and didn't have to. If Staley runs a traditional halfback/full back offense, I think it will be tougher on him.
Plus, losing Henry was dumb. He's the perfect safety valve for Herbert like quarterback.

And let me see....Jameis Winston did pretty good year one....and I seem to recall two young
QBs named Wentz and Goff that made it to the Super Bowl. And then we’re traded. Out.

Reactions: Faded Blues

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
I think the FUdeans have a great chance at making the playoffs as a wild card. If the Chiefs (no offense native Americans) get the offensive like me back I don’t think the FUdeans have enough to overtake them.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Chargers killer Chase Daniel signs on as a backup. Huge upgrade to Tyrod.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Chargers killer Chase Daniel signs on as a backup. Huge upgrade to Tyrod.
They have to decide what to do with Stick and the other guy. I think they become camp fodder.

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I have to assume this is our #1 pick. The only question is whether we try to move up or not.
They may not have to. A lot of the Chargers fans want a CB at 1, which makes little sense to me.
But they like bling position, a smaller group want a WR...

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Duh. Most teams with good offensive lines and good qbs usually do make the play-offs.
Well... In all fairness... It would be something new for the Chargers to try, building a real OL, instead of hoping the QB can avoid IR.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006