2020 Offseason Moves....Trades, Free Agent Signings, etc...

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Outstanding! hope it happens. You know damn well the Bucs have given Brady some clout in the decisions as to what he'd like in the offense and Melvin Gordon is therefore most likely to end up there. They can outspend ATL. As they say, if they get Gordon Tampa will be absolutely loaded on offense. Brady must be very excited about that prospect.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Reactions: Concudan

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
This makes him ideal for the Chargers, lol.

I hear the Falcons already signed him.
They did. 6 million, don't know if it is all guaranteed. But his knee problems would give me pause.

I would have signed Gordon before Gurley, but I am not a GM.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Is he a good fit with his injury history?
The Falcons' moves since their Superbowl appearance/collapse have been questionable at best!

A team with so much promise in 2017, was decimated through injuries, personnel moves, and coaching decisions and has missed the playoffs with losing records 2 years in a row.

They did close off the year with 4 wins in a row, and 6 wins in their last 8 games...Matt Ryan looked good in those games and Julio Jones was also coming on strong, but the biggest improvement was in their Pass D which did not allow a 200 yd passing performance in 4 of their last 5 games!

Calvin Ridley and Russell Gage are good up and coming 2nd WRs but they're not Mohamed Sanu...They need a to have one of those guys emerge as legit no. 2 or get some help via free agency or draft.

IMO, Devanta Freeman is a great complementary back, but not even a good primary back. Freeman's 656 yds and 2 rushing TDs are numbers that Todd Gurley will surely improve on as a primary back....and Freeman's 410 yds and 4 receiving TDs make him the perfect 3rd down back complement to the workhorse.

Having followed both Gurley and Gordon's careers since turning pro, I still rate Gurley slightly ahead of Gordon, and consider both of them worthy of a second shot!

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Gordon to Broncos. Yes.

I don't believe the Spanni ever offered $10 million per year. He was asking $8.5 million.
But no Spanni.....equals football paradise.

And what did they get for their No.1 draft pick? Nothing. A Johnnie Boy and Telescope classic.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
The Falcons' moves since their Superbowl appearance/collapse have been questionable at best!

A team with so much promise in 2017, was decimated through injuries, personnel moves, and coaching decisions and has missed the playoffs with losing records 2 years in a row.

They did close off the year with 4 wins in a row, and 6 wins in their last 8 games...Matt Ryan looked good in those games and Julio Jones was also coming on strong, but the biggest improvement was in their Pass D which did not allow a 200 yd passing performance in 4 of their last 5 games!

Calvin Ridley and Russell Gage are good up and coming 2nd WRs but they're not Mohamed Sanu...They need a to have one of those guys emerge as legit no. 2 or get some help via free agency or draft.

IMO, Devanta Freeman is a great complementary back, but not even a good primary back. Freeman's 656 yds and 2 rushing TDs are numbers that Todd Gurley will surely improve on as a primary back....and Freeman's 410 yds and 4 receiving TDs make him the perfect 3rd down back complement to the workhorse.

Having followed both Gurley and Gordon's careers since turning pro, I still rate Gurley slightly ahead of Gordon, and consider both of them worthy of a second shot!
I do not argue that looking at the body of work Gurley is still a bit ahead of Gordon (that might not be the case if he did not do the ill advised hold out last season)... But as I recall, Gurley had something like arthritis in his knee. That, given the importance of the knees to a RB (no one make a foul joke of that!) is why i would be very cautious.

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
His ego is not going to accept sharing carries with Lindsay for long.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
I do not argue that looking at the body of work Gurley is still a bit ahead of Gordon (that might not be the case if he did not do the ill advised hold out last season)... But as I recall, Gurley had something like arthritis in his knee. That, given the importance of the knees to a RB (no one make a foul joke of that!) is why i would be very cautious.
Yeah his left knee's been wonky since college.....Which is why the Rams' workload early in his career was insane.
Just like Freeman would be better as a complementary runner, I think Gurley would benefit from not being the workhorse!

Reactions: Concudan

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
His ego is not going to accept sharing carries with Lindsay for long.
I am not sure. MG has never struck me as having a big ego. He just speaks his mind, but I do not recall him ever questioning sharing the load with Ekeler...

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I thought MG might end up in TB with Brady but they probably have other ideas and Brady might be looking for specific attributes in his RB.....MG is supposed to be good at getting open out of the backfield but thinkin maybe they did not like what they saw last year...too many errors...fumbles etc.

FiftyFive

Dean Spanos is a traitor!
Nov 14, 2017
I am not sure. MG has never struck me as having a big ego. He just speaks his mind, but I do not recall him ever questioning sharing the load with Ekeler...
"There's no rhythm you can get into with eight carries, I don't care what running back you are," Gordon said, via ESPN.com.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Adrian Phillips before now Watkins. Chuggers draft a DB at no. 6! :)

Getty Images
The Texans continue to add to the secondary.

According to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, the Texans are signing safety Jaylen Watkins to a two-year, $3 million deal.

The 28-year-old Watkins spent the last two years with the Chargers. The Eagles drafted him in the fourth round in 2014, cut him that summer, and later brought him back on the practice squad.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Asked for $10 million? Asked for $8.5 million?

Here's August 2019
Chargers general manager Tom Telesco reportedly told Bilbo that Gordon "is still family" and that the agent did not have permission to seek trade partners.

Here's March 2020:
Zero.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
I always saw Gordon as a poor man’s Gurley. For a few years I was right. Just goes to show you the short lifespan of a RB is real.
Let me get more specific I wouldn't have drafted Gurley in the 1st as I would have came in at the tip of the 2nd and grabbed MG3. And I didn't know much about Melvin but I watched a lot of Gurleys college games and was a fan but I wouldn't have taken the risk on his knee.