2020 Indianapolis Colts Thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
COLTS 2020 SCHEDULE
Week 1, Sept 13: at Jacksonville Jaguars, 1 p.m.
Week 2, Sept 20: vs. Minnesota Vikings, 1 p.m.
Week 3, Sept 27: vs. New York Jets, 4:05 p.m.
Week 4, Oct. 4: at Chicago Bears, 1 p.m.
Week 5, Oct. 11: at Cleveland Browns, 4:25

Week 6, Oct 18: vs. Cincinnati Bengals, 1 p.m.
Week 7: Bye.
Week 8, Nov. 1: at Detroit Lions, 1 p.m.
Week 9, Nov. 8: vs. Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m.
Week 10, Nov. 12: at Tennessee Titans, 8:20 p.m.
Week 11, Nov. 22: vs. Green Bay Packers, 1 p.m.
Week 12, Nov. 29: vs. Tennessee Titans, 1 p.m.
Week 13, Dec. 6: at Houston Texans, 1 p.m.
Week 14, Dec. 13: at Las Vegas Raiders, 4:05 p.m.
Week 15, Dec. 19 or Dec. 20: vs. Houston Texans, TBD
Week 16, Dec. 27: at Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m.
Week 17, Jan. 3: vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, 1 p.m.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
COLTS 2020 SCHEDULE
Week 1, Sept 13: at Jacksonville Jaguars, 1 p.m.
Week 2, Sept 20: vs. Minnesota Vikings, 1 p.m.
Week 3, Sept 27: vs. New York Jets, 4:05 p.m.
Week 4, Oct. 4: at Chicago Bears, 1 p.m.
Week 5, Oct. 11: at Cleveland Browns, 4:25

Week 6, Oct 18: vs. Cincinnati Bengals, 1 p.m.
Week 7: Bye.
Week 8, Nov. 1: at Detroit Lions, 1 p.m.
Week 9, Nov. 8: vs. Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m.
Week 10, Nov. 12: at Tennessee Titans, 8:20 p.m.
Week 11, Nov. 22: vs. Green Bay Packers, 1 p.m.
Week 12, Nov. 29: vs. Tennessee Titans, 1 p.m.
Week 13, Dec. 6: at Houston Texans, 1 p.m.
Week 14, Dec. 13: at Las Vegas Raiders, 4:05 p.m.
Week 15, Dec. 19 or Dec. 20: vs. Houston Texans, TBD
Week 16, Dec. 27: at Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m.
Week 17, Jan. 3: vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, 1 p.m.
Shame they dont play the Chargers this season.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889784-2020-nfl-schedule-release-win-loss-predictions-for-every-team
  1. Indianapolis Colts
    After a promising first half of the 2019 season turned into a second-half swoon, the Indianapolis Colts made major changes in the offseason.
    The Colts signed veteran quarterback Philip Rivers to supplant Jacoby Brissett under center. They dealt a first-round pick to the San Francisco 49ers for Pro Bowl defensive tackle DeForest Buckner. And they added a pair of weapons for Rivers early in the 2020 draft in wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. and running back Jonathan Taylor.
    The Colts' middle-of-the-pack schedule offers at least one break, as their biggest out-of-division games against the Baltimore Ravens and Green Bay Packers are both at home. But the matchups that determine how much noise they'll make in the AFC South—four games against the Texans and Tennessee Titans—won't begin until Week 10.
    In a division this tightly packed, those late games are going to be pivotal.
    Prediction: 10-6

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
When Philip Rivers enters the 2020 season with the IND Colts, he'll have an opportunity to finally realize his dream of competing for a SB, without the specter of "The Spanos Curse" hanging over his head! His success would surely be a serious indictment of the Spanos way, and would over-shadow any nominal improvement by the LAC this year. I will be pulling for him to prove he is the best QB of his class, and one of the best of his generation.
Of course, for that to happen there has to be good team around him...or more importantly, a good team that fit HIS game...cause at this point, I don't think PR's game is going to suddenly change!
Has Rivers EVER had a WR as good as TY Hilton? Probably not! TY had an off year in 2019 by his standards, but revealed after the season that he played the latter part of the year with a 2 cm tear in his calf muscle -brutal injury for a speed wr.....When healthy, TY Hilton's numbers are comparable to the top guys in the league...He led the league in Receiving Yards in 2016, and from 2013 to 2018, only a handful of guys -likes of Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and DeAndre Hopkins- have better numbers... Mike Evans, Michael Thomas and Odell Beckham have had an impact on the position since their arrivals, but TY remains as one of the most lethal speed threats over the past decade. Of course, speed WRs have not been RP's receivers of choice throughout his career...he's preferred big bodied targets and precise route runners; but in Hilton he gets a polished route runner that can take any pass to the house. If PR & TY can develop timing, feel, and recognition at the LOS, it could be PaRTY TIME in IND! Personally, I don't see TY as the right WR for PR. He has a 58.4% career catch rate, which is more in line with Travis Benjamin (53%) than Keenan Allen (68.4).
In any case, IND front office didn't want to take any chances, so they went out and drafted Michael Pittman Jr. (6'4", 220) out of USC who is a lot like VJ or MF...and they also got Dezmon Patmon (6'4",228) out of Wash St. to go along with Zach Pascal (6'2",214) was last year's leading WR. Parris Campbell out of Ohio St. is also in the mix at WR, and provides an intriguing option...he was highly touted out of college but ran in to injuries in his rookie year...He could be a sleeper!
More than anything, I wish they'd kept Eric Ebron at TE! History has shown, PR NEEDS a good TE! They have Jack Doyle (6'6" , 262) at the position, who will have to step up big time. I was surprised they didn't pick up a TE in the draft, and instead just brought in Trey Burton, a journeyman from CHI.
PR was at his best in SD when he had LT in his prime. In IND, he'll have Marlon Mack entering his prime. Mack is not LT, but he's no slouch. Entering his 4th year, he has shown improvement in each of his past 3 years, breaking the 1000 yd rushing mark last year. He's good in the passing game, both in protection and catching the ball out of the backfield. They also drafted Jonathan Taylor out of Wisc. who looks to be a good prospect.
Which brings us to the OLine!! The wild swings in Rivers' game have always been largely attributed to the level of talent protecting him. In IND he will finally have a top 5 OL. 2018, 6th pick overall, G Quinton Nelson has rounded in to form and all 5 starters played over 1000 snaps last year. In that sense, Rivers is like an ex-alcoholic who can no longer blame drinking as his reason for acting stupid in public!
Like I said, I will pull for the Colts to do well this year. The thing that I'm disappointed about is the possibility that even with the move to IND, PR may not be able to finally hear the roar of the fans and the home support he so richly deserves given the circumstances; but every time he shot-puts a TD pass to TY in the empty Lucas Oil stadium in IND, there will be a cheer heard in Toronto.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
When Philip Rivers enters the 2020 season with the IND Colts, he'll have an opportunity to finally realize his dream of competing for a SB, without the specter of "The Spanos Curse" hanging over his head! His success would surely be a serious indictment of the Spanos way, and would over-shadow any nominal improvement by the LAC this year. I will be pulling for him to prove he is the best QB of his class, and one of the best of his generation.
Of course, for that to happen there has to be good team around him...or more importantly, a good team that fit HIS game...cause at this point, I don't think PR's game is going to suddenly change!
Has Rivers EVER had a WR as good as TY Hilton? Probably not! TY had an off year in 2019 by his standards, but revealed after the season that he played the latter part of the year with a 2 cm tear in his calf muscle -brutal injury for a speed wr.....When healthy, TY Hilton's numbers are comparable to the top guys in the league...He led the league in Receiving Yards in 2016, and from 2013 to 2018, only a handful of guys -likes of Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and DeAndre Hopkins- have better numbers... Mike Evans, Michael Thomas and Odell Beckham have had an impact on the position since their arrivals, but TY remains as one of the most lethal speed threats over the past decade. Of course, speed WRs have not been RP's receivers of choice throughout his career...he's preferred big bodied targets and precise route runners; but in Hilton he gets a polished route runner that can take any pass to the house. If PR & TY can develop timing, feel, and recognition at the LOS, it could be PaRTY TIME in IND! Personally, I don't see TY as the right WR for PR. He has a 58.4% career catch rate, which is more in line with Travis Benjamin (53%) than Keenan Allen (68.4).
In any case, IND front office didn't want to take any chances, so they went out and drafted Michael Pittman Jr. (6'4", 220) out of USC who is a lot like VJ or MF...and they also got Dezmon Patmon (6'4",228) out of Wash St. to go along with Zach Pascal (6'2",214) was last year's leading WR. Parris Campbell out of Ohio St. is also in the mix at WR, and provides an intriguing option...he was highly touted out of college but ran in to injuries in his rookie year...He could be a sleeper!
More than anything, I wish they'd kept Eric Ebron at TE! History has shown, PR NEEDS a good TE! They have Jack Doyle (6'6" , 262) at the position, who will have to step up big time. I was surprised they didn't pick up a TE in the draft, and instead just brought in Trey Burton, a journeyman from CHI.
PR was at his best in SD when he had LT in his prime. In IND, he'll have Marlon Mack entering his prime. Mack is not LT, but he's no slouch. Entering his 4th year, he has shown improvement in each of his past 3 years, breaking the 1000 yd rushing mark last year. He's good in the passing game, both in protection and catching the ball out of the backfield. They also drafted Jonathan Taylor out of Wisc. who looks to be a good prospect.
Which brings us to the OLine!! The wild swings in Rivers' game have always been largely attributed to the level of talent protecting him. In IND he will finally have a top 5 OL. 2018, 6th pick overall, G Quinton Nelson has rounded in to form and all 5 starters played over 1000 snaps last year. In that sense, Rivers is like an ex-alcoholic who can no longer blame drinking as his reason for acting stupid in public!
Like I said, I will pull for the Colts to do well this year. The thing that I'm disappointed about is the possibility that even with the move to IND, PR may not be able to finally hear the roar of the fans and the home support he so richly deserves given the circumstances; but every time he shot-puts a TD pass to TY in the empty Lucas Oil stadium in IND, there will be a cheer heard in Toronto.
I know nothing of TY Hilton, but Vincent Jackson and Keenan Allen were pretty good wide receivers. Each had his negatives though. Jackson had serious brainfarts which made me question his commitment to winning. He did a premature spike that should have resulted in a turnover. Fortunately, we were rescued by the refs, who clearly didn't understand the concepts of before and after. Then Jackson, the morning of a playoff game, managed to get himself arrested. It is hard to win when one of your stars clearly valued frivolous things over winning football games.
Keenan was a Raiders fan who couldn't stay healthy. Also, though this had nothing to do with him, Keenan generally had less than a second before the oft-unprotected Rivers needed to get rid of the football. Those .5 second routes are difficult for any receiver to thrive in. That is why Telesco put a high priority on key lineman positions like cornerback, linebacker, and running back.

Last edited:

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
I know nothing of TY Hilton, but Vincent Jackson and Keenan Allen were pretty good wide receivers. Each had his negatives though. Jackson had serious brainfarts which made me question his commitment to winning. He did a premature spike that should have resulted in a turnover. Fortunately, we were rescued by the refs, who clearly didn't understand the concepts of before and after. Then Jackson, the morning of a playoff game, managed to get himself arrested. It is hard to win when one of your stars clearly valued frivolous things over winning football games.
Keenan was a Raiders fan who couldn't stay healthy. Also, though this had nothing to do with him, Keenan generally had less than a second before the oft-unprotected Rivers needed to get rid of the football. Those .5 second routes are difficult for any receiver to thrive in. That is why Telesco put a high priority on key lineman positions like cornerback, linebacker, and running back.
As far as I know from playing fantasy football the past 7 or 8 years, TY was a top 5 fantasy wr 5 years running then last year happened.

I've never drafted TY, but he has handed me L's in several pivotal weeks for my playoff seeding or post season berth.

The last 2 years I played with some former coworkers once for money and last year was just for fun. Both years were on ESPN and I had to download their fantasy app. I had downloaded it prior and forgot my login/password so the day of our draft I couldn't open the app so I couldn't make my draft picks. I went through the top 200 rated players and decided to go wr wr rb rb in the first 4 picks and I preset most of my draft picks based on round value and reaching for my D/te picks early. Oddly I still missed out on the top 4 TES and ended up living off week to week FAs. Last year I had the best post draft luck and I grabbed Baltimore tell mark andrews... the very first week after he was being talked about on waiver wire reports. I also snagged NE D in FA. and they won me more games than my top wr and qb.

To get to the point, both these years I preselected my draft selections by position and just rolled with what I got I finished both years 1 game and 3 injured starters that were questionable to even start away from 1st place finish.

And don't go think in I got lucky thanks to auto draft. I had to dig deep on the waivers to get reliable week to week starters.

Funny fact: the first year I had to rely on predetermined position picks I ended up with Todd Gurley. Around the last week of trade deadline I finally accepted the ram fan fanatics offer of Melvin Gordon and Thielin.. for Gurley and a so so wr on the broncos. He scored me points early but started to level out so I traded him a guy who ended up a bust for the rest of the fantasy season. Unfortunately for me Adam Thielen got injured and his production fell and that's what ultimately cost me as he was the other guy at the top of our rankings he was in first to my second all the way up til our week 7 match-up which I had Gurley for and I roasted him and took first for the remainder of the regular season and most pts per week by 8 at 158. I also had Michael Thomas and he and Brees were having a historic season.

Good times. I'll have to see if they are up for another money league, granted sports happen this year in some capacity.

Reactions: handoverfist

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Rivers will need time to adjust to a new offense where he gets 4-5 seconds,at least,
to throw and when it's third and four, he just hands it off and there is a first down.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I hope he gets away from running the play clock down to 1 second. I hated that and put the blame on the FUdean coaches.
We'll see. I think he needed all that time to make sure the play would, might work. Now, he should just hand it off and let it run.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Earlier in this thread I examined the IND Offense, which on paper looks to able to compete with anyone in the league...but as the Chargers have shown us many times in the past, a team can have a great offense and still lose an awful lot of games with a crappy Defense. Of course, there's only one team in history to have both the No. 1 offense and No. 1 defense in the league and still miss the playoffs, but that's the subject for another discussion!
So today, let's look at the IND Defense.

Colts' D is coordinated by DC Matt Eberflus. At 50, he is entering his 3rd year as the DC of IND Colts, and his previous coaching experience includes coaching Linebackers in DAL and CLE. With an ex-LB coach as DC, it's no wonder that LB Darius Leonard has developed in to a beast at the position. Leonard (25) was a 2nd round pick in 2018, out of South Carolina State, and is the younger brother to Anthony Waters - ex-Charger LB...In 2018, he won NFL DROY, and was named 1st Team Al-pro. In 15 games, he recorded 163 tackles (111 solo), 7 sacks, 8 PDefs, 2 INTs, 4 FF, and 2 FR in his rookie year, leading the league in tackles. His production dropped slightly in 2019 as he missed 3 games due to concussion protocols, but he still was selected to the Pro Bowl with 121 tackles and 5 Ints, one of which he returned 80 yards for a TD. The Colts Defense is young and fast, and Leonard is joined by another 25 year old MLB Anthony Walker, 24 year old RLB Bobby Okereke. At an average age of 25.6 they were the 6th youngest Defense in the league last year, with DE Justin Houston acting as the elder statesman at 30! Houston came over from KC in 2019 to provide much needed pass rush, and contributed with 11 sacks, 2 FF and 3 FRs; however the DLine that had Jabaal Sheard lined up on the opposite side, was notoriously weak up the middle. Enter DT DeForest Buckner (26) the 7th overall pick in the 2016 draft, fresh off of a SB appearance with SF. One can not over-emphasize the potential importance of Buckner to a run defense that was not too shabby to begin with -ranked 7th in yds allowed; but with Buckner providing pressure up the middle, I expect huge improvement in passing D which was their weakness last year -ranked 23rd in yds allowed.
The Secondary was young and inexperienced last year. Guys like Rock Ya-Sin (CB, 24) and Kenny Moore (CB, 25), Khari Willis (SS, 24), and Malik Hooker ( FS, 24) are just getting their feet wet. However, they went out and got CB Xavier Rhodes out of MIN who IMO is one the best at his position, and one of the most under-rated players in the league. Rhodes at 30 should have plenty left in the tank, and will provide leadership and experience for the young group. His addition will go a long way in stabilizing the pass D, and should bode well in the future development of their young talent at the position.

Looks like IND had done enough to create a Defense that can match the fire power of their Offense in 2020, but the fact is, as one of the youngest teams in the league on both sides of the ball, they were only going to get better anyway...they've just accelerated their improvement by adding some important pieces at key positions. Let's not forget, after the shock of Luck's sudden retirement, they started last season 5-2 with wins over TEN, KC, and HOU!...and that was with Jacoby Brisset at QB!! Looks like PR has landed in a pretty good spot... there will be no excuses!

Reactions: ThunderHorse17

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
was the perfect fit for Phil. Sounds like he's really excited and happy to be there and already will be hitting the ground leading. Hope that guy crushes it this year. Time for him to win a ring.
I just want Rivers to take one season and NOT TALK...obviously he'll have to talk to his teammates on the field to call out plays and such, but other than that, just STFU and play!

You want to lead? Lead by example...put the team on your back and win games...people follow WINNERS, not those who talk a big a game but fold in the crunch.

Rivers can be the vocal leader of his new team for now, and that's fine...but his act will wear thin very quickly in IND if he doesn't back it up on the field...people are a lot less tolerant of a big mouth act the second time around!

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I just want Rivers to take one season and NOT TALK...obviously he'll have to talk to his teammates on the field to call out plays and such, but other than that, just STFU and play!

You want to lead? Lead by example...put the team on your back and win games...people follow WINNERS, not those who talk a big a game but fold in the crunch.

Rivers can be the vocal leader of his new team for now, and that's fine...but his act will wear thin very quickly in IND if he doesn't back it up on the field...people are a lot less tolerant of a big mouth act the second time around!
Agree, but you know that's never gonna happen LOLOL

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri

He's on a 1 year contract at 38... how many seasons do you think he has left?

I'd say he retires (maybe) if the Colts win the super bowl this year. More likely as set in stone as the Colts roster is for the next 3 years I could see him sticking around for 3 seasons and potentially 2 rings.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
  • Haha
Reactions: handoverfist

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
"practicing cadences virtually" sounds impressive, until you remember that
this is a guy who got wife Tiffany pregnant with their tenth child, via Zoom!!
As an avid photographer, I don't think I need to explain to you how a Telescopic Zoom Lens works!! 22X magnification? Oh, Good Lord!

Now if Tiffany had to use a Zoom in the bedroom, there'd be problems!!

Last edited:

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
He's on a 1 year contract at 38... how many seasons do you think he has left?

I'd say he retires (maybe) if the Colts win the super bowl this year. More likely as set in stone as the Colts roster is for the next 3 years I could see him sticking around for 3 seasons and potentially 2 rings.
TH17, imo, Rivers' weird throwing motion is a much more efficient way of throwing a football and a heck of lot less taxing on the elbow and shoulder joints. So from a wear and tear stand point, I think he would be able to go as long as his knees/legs can carry him. His game was never a power game anyway...nobody gushes over his armstrengh and velocity. His game has always been between the ears, and that aspect of his game is only going to get better with age!

With regards to the Colts and 2 SB's in 3 years, I think you're being a bit over-optimistic...and it's not just me saying that; there are 31 OTHER teams in the league who feel pretty good about their chances of upsetting that prediction! IMHO, this thing can go THREE ways.
1- It can go bad...like really bad, where he continues to throw ints and losing games, and even gets replaced by a more than capable Brissett mid-season. I don't think that's likely, but if that happens he'll be fulfilling his lifelong dream of coaching HS next year!
2- It can go good...good enough to get close but not win it all. That is the most likely scenario, and for that to happen, Rivers would've likely had a great season. Given the overall age of the Colts (very young on both sides of the ball) I think the ownership would look at a 2 year window to re-sign PR and giving him the added weapons he needs to go out and win ONE. I think Rivers would be up for that.
3- They can win it all this year! For that to happen, Rivers would've had to play out of this world and then, who knows what happens! He may ride off in to the sunset, or sign a longterm contract to play for 5 more years! It wouldn't matter, cause he would already go down as one of the best of his generation, and biggest proof that playing for the Spanos family is wasting one's career!

Reactions: ThunderHorse17