2020 Indianapolis Colts Thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
2020 Draft:

NFL.COM
Draft picks: USC WR Michael Pittman (No. 34 overall), Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor (No. 41 overall), Utah S Julian Blackmon (No. 85), Washington QB Jacob Eason (No. 122), Ball State OG Danny Pinter (No. 149), Penn State DT Robert Windsor (No. 193), Massachusetts CB Isaiah Rodgers (No. 211), Washington State WR Dezmon Patmon (No. 212), Michigan LB Jordan Glasgow (No. 213)
Day 1 grade: B
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A-
Draft analysis: GM Chris Ballard picked up a big-bodied receiver (Pittman) for new quarterback Philip Rivers and traded up for a stud running back (Taylor) on Day 2 of the draft. Was the trade for DeForest Buckner worth the hefty price tag, especially considering Javon Kinlaw was available at No. 13? Will Pittman be better than Denzel Mims or Chase Claypool? Time will tell.

Eason eventually taking over for Philip Rivers makes so much sense. Rivers is a true leader under whom the talented Eason can learn and continue developing. Keeping the athletic Pinter in the state of Indiana as a backup guard/tackle makes a lot of sense for the Colts. Windsor is a pest up front who, along with Blackmon, Rodgers and Glasgow (a future special teams Pro Bowler) should add plenty of depth on defense. Indy traded 2017 second-rounder Quincy Wilson to the Jets for the sixth-round pick they used on Rodgers -- not a great return, but I guess something is better than nothing.

PFF
Round 2 (34): WR Michael Pittman Jr., USC
Round 2 (41): RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
Round 3 (85): S Julian Blackmon, Utah
Round 4 (122): QB Jacob Eason, Washington
Round 5 (149): IOL Danny Pinter, Ball State
Round 6 (193): DI Robert Windsor, Penn State
Round 6 (211): CB Isaiah Rodgers, UMass
Round 6 (212): WR Dezmon Patmon, Washington State
Round 6 (213): LB Jordan Glasgow, Michigan

Day 1: Indianapolis traded away its 13th overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for interior defensive lineman DeForest Buckner. The Colts then extended him to a four-year, $84 million deal to make him the second-highest-paid interior player behind only Aaron Donald. Buckner has been a good, but not elite, player over the course of his four-year career with the 49ers. He owns PFF grade ranks of 31st, 17th, 25th and ninth and has been an above-average player against the run and getting after the quarterback in the pass-rush.

Day 2: Indianapolis had one of the best picks of Day 2 by taking Michael Pittman Jr. 34th overall. Pittman stands at 6-foot-4 and owns near-flawless ball skills. He dropped just 2.8% of his career catchable targets, possesses an insane catch radius and can adjust to any off-target throw to snag what would typically be an incomplete pass. Pittman’s underneath and intermediate route-running makes him a phenomenal possession receiver prospect who will fit nicely in Indy.

We all know by now that taking a running back in the middle of Round 2 isn’t ideal in our eyes, but trading up for one isn’t a great move. Indy traded the 44th and 160th overall picks to the Cleveland Browns to move up to No. 41 and grab Jonathan Taylor. But Cleveland wins that trade 55% of the time according to PFF’s Research and Development team. Taylor’s lack of receiving ability is something to be concerned about, but the Colts are going to run the damn ball with him. His size, speed and explosiveness are what you want in a ball-carrier. He got plenty of opportunities to carry the ball at Wisconsin and posted an 85.0-plus rushing grade in each of his three seasons with the Badgers.

“There wasn't a better landing spot for Jonathan Taylor in my mind than Indy. He'll actually move the needle over Marlon Mack in that offense.” – PFF Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Blackmon was 180th on the PFF Big Board, so him getting picked at No. 85 was a bit early in our eyes, but this can end up as a solid pick in the long run. When Blackmon played cornerback, he played incredibly poorly — he gave a whopping 786 yards on 508 coverage snaps in 2018 and lacked any physicality. He then moved to safety in 2019 and had a career year, posting an 88.7 coverage grade while displaying great range and sharp instincts at deep safety.

Day 3: The Colts started looking at their future post-Philip Rivers by taking Jacob Eason 122nd overall. Eason has a cannon and great zip on the ball, but there is a lot of concern with how he’ll handle NFL pass-rushers. When under pressure this past year, Eason posted the second-worst negatively graded play rate in college football. He also has a tendency to stay locked in on his first read a bit too long and will force his throw late. In other words, Eason is a rhythm passer. This is right around where we had him on the PFF Big Board, but there were other quarterbacks ahead of him still available.

NEWCOMERS
Table inside Article
PlayerPos.'19 Team'20 TeamMore
DeForest BucknerDTSFINDRead
Philip RiversQBLACINDRead
Sheldon DayDTSFINDRead
Xavier RhodesCBMININDRead
T.J. CarrieCBCLEINDRead
Roosevelt NixFBPITINDRead
Trey BurtonTECHIINDRead

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
I like this pick a lot. The Colts return all 5 starters from last year. Stability, focus, a plan for the future.

My new bandwagon. GO COLTS!!!

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts today selected Ball State offensive lineman Danny Pinter with their fifth-round (149th-overall) pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Pinter, who turns 24 in June, is a 6-foot-4, 306-pound, South Bend, Ind., native. A converted tight end, Pinter last year was a First-Team All-Mid-American Conference selection at right tackle, as well as the Cardinals' Most Outstanding Player.

Pinter stands to compete to become one of the Colts' key pieces of depth up front on the offensive line. While the team returns all five starters — Anthony Castonzo (left tackle), Quenton Nelson (left guard), Ryan Kelly (center), Mark Glowinski (right guard) and Braden Smith (right tackle) — the team will be looking to replace Joe Haeg, their backup swing tackle the last few seasons, after he signed a free-agent deal this offseason with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I wish them the best. Would love to see PR17 solidify his legacy with them. He is a great guy, on field and off.

I admit thought, his antics towards the refs the last 2 seasons wore thin on me...

Reactions: Gill Man

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
I like this pick a lot. The Colts return all 5 starters from last year. Stability, focus, a plan for the future.

My new bandwagon. GO COLTS!!!

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts today selected Ball State offensive lineman Danny Pinter with their fifth-round (149th-overall) pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.
Pinter, who turns 24 in June, is a 6-foot-4, 306-pound, South Bend, Ind., native. A converted tight end, Pinter last year was a First-Team All-Mid-American Conference selection at right tackle, as well as the Cardinals' Most Outstanding Player.

Pinter stands to compete to become one of the Colts' key pieces of depth up front on the offensive line. While the team returns all five starters — Anthony Castonzo (left tackle), Quenton Nelson (left guard), Ryan Kelly (center), Mark Glowinski (right guard) and Braden Smith (right tackle) — the team will be looking to replace Joe Haeg, their backup swing tackle the last few seasons, after he signed a free-agent deal this offseason with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Is he married to Sue Ellen Mischke, the OH Henry Chocolate bar heiress?

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Michael Pittman, Jr., is the nephew of an old Aztecs runner with the same last name. Junior's dad is a former Donkey back from San Diego.

awesome photo....very cool.......love those unis too. Ah the good ol days. Another reason to root for the colts. If PR reaches and wins the SB, a big FUDEAN. you know he's gonna be crazy motivated.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Would love to see Rivers holding up the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season. Great offensive line, plenty of weapons, no stink of the Spanos on him. Get that ass Philip!
I think he has been getting that ass. I mean he is up to like 54 children, right?

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Who was that biblical character that had 100 kids? I think that guy is Philip's role model...

27 Thus all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty-nine years; and he died.
—Genesis. Only a son and a couple of daughters (2/3 the value per Old Testament standards)
Yes he was a drug user.

Of course King Solomon had 50 wives, so he might have cleared 100.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
just don’t call them the “new” Colts. Q will club you like a baby seal with his bong.
True, the Colts haven't been new since a few years after some Spanos-like asshole moved them out of Baltimore.

Wait. Not true. I love baby seals. La Jolla Cove is a happening baby-seal spot.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
2020 NFL Power Rankings Post Draft winners

13. Indianapolis Colts

Post-free-agency ranking: 14

Player who benefited: QB Philip Rivers. The Colts added to their skill positions to help Rivers out, using their first two draft picks on receiver Michael Pittman Jr. and running back Jonathan Taylor, whom they traded up to get. They also selected receiver Dezmon Patmon later in the draft. Pittman and Taylor should make an immediate impact. Pittman has the size to go with the speed of T.Y. Hilton and Parris Campbell at receiver. Taylor will share the workload in the backfield with Marlon Mack, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season. -- Mike Wells

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

13. Indianapolis Colts

Player who benefited: QB Philip Rivers. The Colts added to their skill positions to help Rivers out, using their first two draft picks on receiver Michael Pittman Jr. and running back Jonathan Taylor, whom they traded up to get. They also selected receiver Dezmon Patmon later in the draft. Pittman and Taylor should make an immediate impact. Pittman has the size to go with the speed of T.Y. Hilton and Parris Campbell at receiver. Taylor will share the workload in the backfield with Marlon Mack, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season. -- Mike Wells
If true, this is the first time a draft benefited Phillip Rivers.

Reactions: wrbanwal

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

13. Indianapolis Colts

Nice siggie Gramps!

Reactions: wrbanwal

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
just don’t call them the “new” Colts. Q will club you like a baby seal with his bong.
They've been re-shoed... Or is it reshod? Whatever it is they do to horses when they change out their old horseshoes. I'll bet you don't see those on eBay... (But I could be wrong)

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Us Older horses understand.

Q: What did the horse say when it fell?

A: "I've fallen and I can't giddyup!"

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Insider: A way-too-early Colts 53-man roster projection

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/04/27/indianapolis-colts-roster-2020-who-makes-53-man-cut/3035439001/

QB
1. Philip Rivers
2. Jacoby Brissett
3. Jacob Eason

A pretty obvious top three. Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich said fourth-round pick Eason will compete with Chad Kelly for the No. 3 spot, but it’s hard to envision a scenario where Kelly comes out on top. Kelly spent a lot of time on the practice squad last season. It’s possible the Colts could try to stash him there again.

RB
4. Jonathan Taylor
5. Marlon Mack
6. Nyheim Hines
7. Jordan Wilkins

WR
12. T.Y. Hilton
13. Parris Campbell
14. Michael Pittman Jr.
15. Zach Pascal
16. Marcus Johnson
17. Ashton Dulin

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I'm gonna be pulling bigtime for the Colts, even though Irsay is a moron. Just wanna see PR do well. I always liked the Colts back in Baltimore and the unis are just classic.

Reactions: handoverfist