2020 Chargers thread (Enter at your own risk)

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How did you like the Chargers draft?

• B - Great job, just needed an OT to round it out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D - Well... The unis are hot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Vlasic wasn't bad. He just couldn't stay healthy. That was back when all we had was a defense that could keep us in it until it choked at the end. Once the o'line improved and the running game became the best in the League, we had a real shot at making the Super Bowl. All we needed was a QB and a coach with a lisp, which, after a whole lot of fails, we accomplished with Stan Humphries and Boss Ross. After the Spanoses effed up that situation and then effed things up for a few more years, they managed to pull off zero championships with two Hall of Fame QBs. And, during the course of that, the Spanoses also managed to lose about 80% of their fans. So, to sum this up - the answer to Flick v. Vlasic is the Spanoses are the biggest losers in sports history. In fact, that is the answer to every question related to sports.
I always thought of dill pickles with Vlasic. lolz.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Rivers is running water. Brees is a gentle wind. Flutie is the essence of a brass instrument. Leaf is a piece of tree. Friesz should have played for a cold-weather town. And Hermann was a Munster.

The story of the San Diego Chargers quarterback position was written by Daniel Webster.
Luther was an evil genius
Flick was a booger

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
natrone means just ended up being an average rumnimgback when compared to his peers.

i like big butts and i can not deny.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
natrone means just ended up being an average rumnimgback when compared to his peers.

i like big butts and i can not deny.
Speaking of forgotten and underrated Chargers running backs:

I celebrated the day we drafted fellow Jew, tight-end Rod Bernstine. How strange it was when I found out he was neither Jewish nor a tight end.

When we found out he was too injury-prone for tight end, Dan Henning converted him into a running back who ran as straight-up as possible into the center of the defensive line. That always seemed way safer and hence why he never got injured except for every season he played.

Henning was a brilliant switcher of positions. We had the best pass rushing defensive ends quite possibly ever in Lee Williams and Leslie O'Neal. So Henning, naturally, turned Williams into a nose tackle and made O'Neal play linebacker. Henning was a great head coach.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Speaking of forgotten and underrated Chargers running backs:

I celebrated the day we drafted fellow Jew, tight-end Rod Bernstine. How strange it was when I found out he was neither Jewish nor a tight end.

When we found out he was too injury-prone for tight end, Dan Henning converted him into a running back who ran as straight-up as possible into the center of the defensive line. That always seemed way safer and hence why he never got injured except for every season he played.

Henning was a brilliant switcher of positions. We had the best pass rushing defensive ends quite possibly ever in Lee Williams and Leslie O'Neal. So Henning, naturally, turned Williams into a nose tackle and made O'Neal play linebacker. Henning was a great head coach.
comedy gold. LMAO. You should do a blog for spanos haters with comedy bent. It would be outstanding! Maybe you should look into writing lines for comdedians and hollywood. Than mabye you could buy seperate houses for all your current roomates. ;)

Reactions: handoverfist

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
comedy gold. LMAO. You should do a blog for spanos haters with comedy bent. It would be outstanding! Maybe you should look into writing lines for comdedians and hollywood. Than mabye you could buy seperate houses for all your current roomates. ;)
If you need Spanos comedy, ask the Union, Tribune, or Union-Tribune for articles about the Chargers from the early 80s onward. If you need a bit more back story, ask Bill Plaschke if he has any of the old L.A. Times San Diego edition sports sections.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
If you need Spanos comedy, ask the Union, Tribune, or Union-Tribune for articles about the Chargers from the early 80s onward. If you need a bit more back story, ask Bill Plaschke if he has any of the old L.A. Times San Diego edition sports sections.
The guy I loved reading and think is still around is Ryan Phillps when he levelled spanos and the bolts in Bolts from the Blue. He was so right on about everything and put in some hilarious digs re: spanos and his lies and incompetence.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
The guy I loved reading and think is still around is Ryan Phillps when he levelled spanos and the bolts in Bolts from the Blue. He was so right on about everything and put in some hilarious digs re: spanos and his lies and incompetence.
I always ignored Bolts from the Blue. They over reacted about everything. Hated every draft pick and then turned to say "We always supported them".

Two years ago, one of their guys claimed a player was having a seizure on the field, and bitched about the coaches keeping him in. Of course he was talking out of his back side but never backed down...

I get they post opinions as we all do. But when all opinions are negative and non-objective, I do not need to waste my time with them.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I was watching a Chargers game with a fellow Irish-American. We drank beer...
I am a quarter Irish. My Irish great grandfather got stabbed to death in a bar after successfully hitting on somebody's wife. We are quarter brothers, which is valued somewhere between a dime and a fiddy-cent piece.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I am a quarter Irish. My Irish great grandfather got stabbed to death in a bar after successfully hitting on somebody's wife. We are quarter brothers, which is valued somewhere between a dime and a fiddy-cent piece.
Then I will buy you a 1/4th pint.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
Hey Conc, who was John Gennaro with as a group? I remember meeting him a few years ago at some kind of get-together at Randy Jones BBQ joint in Hazzard Center along with Anteater and a few members of that group.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Hey Conc, who was John Gennaro with as a group? I remember meeting him a few years ago at some kind of get-together at Randy Jones BBQ joint in Hazzard Center along with Anteater and a few members of that group.
not sure. Sorry.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I always ignored Bolts from the Blue. They over reacted about everything. Hated every draft pick and then turned to say "We always supported them".

Two years ago, one of their guys claimed a player was having a seizure on the field, and bitched about the coaches keeping him in. Of course he was talking out of his back side but never backed down...

I get they post opinions as we all do. But when all opinions are negative and non-objective, I do not need to waste my time with them.
IIRC Bolts from the Blue had both sides, pro and con. I don't remember it being solely negative. They were pretty much objective for the most part in my opinion. Of course I was antispanos even when I was a fan of the team and thought they mismanaged constantly in the front office. I gave them props whendue but those were few and far between LOL. I still loved theteam in SD though...supported them like hell. Then spanos revealed his true nature which I suspected all along and warned about even to those who steadfastly thought he was bluffing up intil the very end, some even thought he was bluffing by moving the first year then would work a deal to come back. How wrong they were.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

That was Kris Dielman, who suffered a major concussion on the field and was kept in the game even though he clearly showed he was wobbly. This was over 5 years ago, so I forget if concussion protocol was in play but I’m guessing it wasn’t yet. However, Dielman did suffer a seizure on the plane ride home. So it wasn’t like he seized on the field and they kept him in, that would’ve been ridiculously barbaric even by NFL standards.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
That was Kris Dielman, who suffered a major concussion on the field and was kept in the game even though he clearly showed he was wobbly. This was over 5 years ago, so I forget if concussion protocol was in play but I’m guessing it wasn’t yet. However, Dielman did suffer a seizure on the plane ride home. So it wasn’t like he seized on the field and they kept him in, that would’ve been ridiculously barbaric even by NFL standards.
there was negligence from the team to protecr
dielman. i tjimk he reitered at the end of the year. you dont need protocols in place to kmow a dude is not fit for duty.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
there was negligence from the team to protecr
dielman. i tjimk he reitered at the end of the year. you dont need protocols in place to kmow a dude is not fit for duty.
Agreed, I was just trying to remember the timeline. I remember myself wondering why the hell they trotted him back out there but I don’t remember if there was a mandatory protocol - I’m thinking no because that was pretty egregious to let him go back out there, it was clear he should’ve been removed for the remainder of the game.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Agreed, I was just trying to remember the timeline. I remember myself wondering why the hell they trotted him back out there but I don’t remember if there was a mandatory protocol - I’m thinking no because that was pretty egregious to let him go back out there, it was clear he should’ve been removed for the remainder of the game.
The game I am referring to was not clear. The player never left the field, was assessed after the drive. I do not remember if it was Dielman or not, just how the BFTB guy was losing his mind acting like he was a medical expert... Doesn't much matter, I have never really liked BTFB product, but to each their own...

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The game I am referring to was not clear. The player never left the field, was assessed after the drive. I do not remember if it was Dielman or not, just how the BFTB guy was losing his mind acting like he was a medical expert... Doesn't much matter, I have never really liked BTFB product, but to each their own...
Well, to support your POV, I only remember one guy getting a seizure and that was Dielman, but on the plane ride home.

Reactions: Concudan

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
I just saw a small article about the Chargers signing O lineman Ryan Groy to the team. Wasn't he on the practice squad or the active team roster last year?

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I just saw a small article about the Chargers signing O lineman Ryan Groy to the team. Wasn't he on the practice squad or the active team roster last year?
Just watch, he'll go down in training camp and be out for the year with a severe Groyn injury.

Reactions: Harryo the K