2020 Chargers thread (Enter at your own risk)

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How did you like the Chargers draft?

• B - Great job, just needed an OT to round it out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D - Well... The unis are hot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I don’t get that strategy. Why not bring him in. Kick the tires so to speak.
It doesn't make sense.
They are going no where this season. So why spend millions of Cam, when all they want is a bridge QB to hold to position in a rebuilding year until Herbert is ready.

They have some big names to re-sign so I doubt they would be looking for a one year splash from Cam.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
It doesn't make sense.
They are going no where this season. So why spend millions of Cam, when all they want is a bridge QB to hold to position in a rebuilding year until Herbert is ready.

They have some big names to re-sign so I doubt they would be looking for a one year splash from Cam.
They have a top 5 defense. They put a proven qb in there and they could make a splash.

Question is if they make a splash in a forest does anyone give a fuk.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I don’t get that strategy. Why not bring him in. Kick the tires so to speak.
its a simple reason: money.

the spenis are so taught with their money that they could stick a piece of coal up their ass and it would turn into diamonds.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
To me, the big what if is simply this: What if Tyrod really is good and helps to give the team some wins, a la Tannehill like last year?

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
They have a top 5 defense. They put a proven qb in there and they could make a splash.

Based on how all yall Salty Deigans can't stop talking about them... YES!
;)

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Translation : “We use to try to be competent. To field a team that might win, might get
lucky. Now....we don't a shit. We're tight with the money. Hell, I just compared Cam Newton to Tryout Taylor and Easton Hockey Stick. Herbert will play by game four because Johnnie boy loves him and Deano thinks constant losing might affect how people feel about him. We have no left tackle, don't know if our Center will get healthy. Selling tickets use to be part of the old metric...
Now, we just pocket the cash, enjoy the free Walmart lunch and ask you to buy one of uniforms.
We have no one decent to put into one of ours. “

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Translation : “We use to try to be competent. To field a team that might win, might get
lucky. Now....we don't a shit. We're tight with the money. Hell, I just compared Cam Newton to Tryout Taylor and Easton Hockey Stick. Herbert will play by game four because Johnnie boy loves him and Deano thinks constant losing might affect how people feel about him. We have no left tackle, don't know if our Center will get healthy. Selling tickets use to be part of the old metric...
Now, we just pocket the cash, enjoy the free Walmart lunch and ask you to buy one of uniforms.
We have no one decent to put into one of ours. “
And you act like you don't care about the team. You follow them more closely than I do.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
To me, the big what if is simply this: What if Tyrod really is good and helps to give the team some wins, a la Tannehill like last year?
Relax. Tyrod is not good. Twice he had a starting job handed to him and he failed both times.
This no. 3. Just there to let the rookie play real soon (which he will and that's going to ruin him.)

Here are the two teams who did not want Taylor around: the Buffalo Bills and the Cleveland Browns. Yes, the LA Chuggers are the next step down.

Tannehill in 7 seasons: 145 TDs
Taylor in 9 seasons: 54 TDs

If someone is a LAC and Taylor fan, good luck. It will be a long, long season.

Reactions: Faded Blues

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018

I agree...if a tree falls in the ocean... or something!!

They may win 7-8 games with Tyrod, and no one will care,

Where as they can win 4-5 with a Cam, and still create a bigger buzz in LA...and with Cam, who knows?

Cam Newton is a perfect fit for the Chargers! Austin Ekeler is a lot like Christian McCaffery , and Cam has NEVER had a receiving corp like what the LAC would offer...He is only 5 years removed from a 15-1 MVP season! In his wildest dreams, Tyrod Taylor would not be half the QB Cam is. Superman has a Cam Newton No.1 jersey sewn to the under side of his cape!

Reactions: wrbanwal

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Have they even gotten around to retiring number 80? How about number 91?

Remember when Shawn Jefferson wore number 80? We should have got a Sharley Joiner to wear 14 and a Wes Shandler to wear 18.

Reactions: Fender57

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
They'll give #17 to some crappy kicker who shanks 50% of FG attempts.

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
if the chargers are going in full tank mode which seems pretty clear to me, they should trade bosa before he walks.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
My apologies. I have mistakenly posted to this Chargers thread in the last several days when
I stated and intended to avoid it. Any posts from moi can be deleted or ignored. Thanks.
hahha......I think I'll move all your posts to a Harry Loves the Bolts thread and sticky it for good:roflmao:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
My apologies. I have mistakenly posted to this Chargers thread in the last several days when
I stated and intended to avoid it. Any posts from moi can be deleted or ignored. Thanks.
BTW you can thank your lucky stars you aren't born into the Spanos family........just think, this forum might be calling you harry spenis.:p:eek::D

• Haha
Reactions: Concudan

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
I remember when Rivers was drafted by the Chargers, he brought over with him a number of his fans from college...There suddenly seemed to be an NC chapter of Charger fans that showed up right around the time he did! I wonder if the new kid has created the same kind of buzz? Is there a large contingent of Herbert/Oregon fans that are now joining LAC forums to rep their QB, and pledging allegiance to the LAC?!?

Reactions: Concudan

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I remember when Rivers was drafted by the Chargers, he brought over with him a number of his fans from college...There suddenly seemed to be an NC chapter of Charger fans that showed up right around the time he did! I wonder if the new kid has created the same kind of buzz? Is there a large contingent of Herbert/Oregon fans that are now joining LAC forums to rep their QB, and pledging allegiance to the LAC?!?
I remember the same. At the UT we started the Brees v. Flutie v. Rivers wars. A lot of people explained how Rivers would be great, others were worried about his early preseason performances (throwing passes into the dirt and such).

I have not seen the same impact from Herbert, but times, they have a changed... I think many people who once would have found a forum to discuss items now do so via Twitter, Discord, Faceborg etc...

I know of a handful of Oregon Chargers fans now, nothing like what I saw with Rivers.

Good point HOF...

Reactions: handoverfist

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
I remember the same. At the UT we started the Brees v. Flutie v. Rivers wars. A lot of people explained how Rivers would be great, others were worried about his early preseason performances (throwing passes into the dirt and such).

I have not seen the same impact from Herbert, but times, they have a changed... I think many people who once would have found a forum to discuss items now do so via Twitter, Discord, Faceborg etc...

I know of a handful of Oregon Chargers fans now, nothing like what I saw with Rivers.

Good point HOF...
Well, this wouldn't exactly be the right place for young, prospective LAC fans to pledge support for their newfound team!

So I went around and checked...most Charger fan sites are either dead or dying...TPB is going strong, and there seems to be an uptick in their new fan introductions...with a number of the new signups naming Herbert as their reason for joining....but you're right, it's not like the old days!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Good point HOF...
Today's Charger quarterback battle should remind everybody of the historic battle between a washed-up Jim McMahon, a young Billy Joe Overthrow, and the famous Babe Laufenberg. The Babe commented that the starting job came down to a coin flip, and, if that coin landed on its side, the job was his.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Today's Charger quarterback battle should remind everybody of the historic battle between a washed-up Jim McMahon, a young Billy Joe Overthrow, and the famous Babe Laufenberg. The Babe commented that the starting job came down to a coin flip, and, if that coin landed on its side, the job was his.
I remember when folks were debating Vlasic Pickle vs Tom Slick Flick as Shfouts’s heir to the QB throne.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I remember when folks were debating Vlasic Pickle vs Tom Slick Flick as Shfouts’s heir to the QB throne.
Vlasic wasn't bad. He just couldn't stay healthy. That was back when all we had was a defense that could keep us in it until it choked at the end. Once the o'line improved and the running game became the best in the League, we had a real shot at making the Super Bowl. All we needed was a QB and a coach with a lisp, which, after a whole lot of fails, we accomplished with Stan Humphries and Boss Ross. After the Spanoses effed up that situation and then effed things up for a few more years, they managed to pull off zero championships with two Hall of Fame QBs. And, during the course of that, the Spanoses also managed to lose about 80% of their fans. So, to sum this up - the answer to Flick v. Vlasic is the Spanoses are the biggest losers in sports history. In fact, that is the answer to every question related to sports.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
LOL...I remember Laufenberg. He looked like a HOF QB that one preseason, there was excitement Beathard had found a gem again. Then boom, back to earth and he sucked. Preseason is preseason. How many QB's have looked like wonders in preseason and flopped and weren't even adequate backups? But at least he had a cool name.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl