2020 Chargers thread (Enter at your own risk)

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How did you like the Chargers draft?

• B - Great job, just needed an OT to round it out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D - Well... The unis are hot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
how about.....none of the above?

Seriously, I think this is the hardest Chuggers draft to score ever.

Everything rides on Herbert and Murray and it could be a home run or a complete fail.

Of course, there’s the wild card....Tyrod has a surprisingly magnificent season like Tannihil and he becomes the face of the Chuggers all the way to hoisting the Lombardy.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
how about.....none of the above?

Seriously, I think this is the hardest Chuggers draft to score ever.

Everything rides on Herbert and Murray and it could be a home run or a complete fail.

Of course, there’s the wild card....Tyrod has a surprisingly magnificent season like Tannihil and he becomes the face of the Chuggers all the way to hoisting the Lombardy.

Chuggers fans love hoisting that post draft kool-aid. :)
I bet even in multiple quantum universes, the Chuggers never win a Lombardi.
The closest they ever get is a robot team in a world where the lizards,
almost identical to earth lizards, win the game.

• Haha
Reactions: handoverfist

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Chuggers fans love hoisting that post draft kool-aid. :)
I bet even in multiple quantum universes, the Chuggers never win a Lombardi.
The closest they ever get is a robot team in a world where the lizards,
almost identical to earth lizards, win the game.
Harry.
Why don't you use the other threads to try and start fights, or let anyone who might not know what your personal take on the team is?

If you post here, please find a way to do it without trying to insult people who did not abandon the team as you did?

if you want to give a counter opinion, please do so. If you want to just try and insult people, do it elsewhere please.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Thats the only trophy spanos will ever hoist, the Lombardy. A pizza. Better than what hes won so far in his stellar tenure. Makes sense, wasnt his buddy a pizza/italian restaurant owner in SD?

Last edited:

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee
Kinda hard to be excited going into the season when you know Tyrod Taylor will be your starting QB.

Not that he's terrible, but we aren't going to win a Super Bowl with him.

Reactions: Concudan

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

Kinda hard to be excited going into the season when you know Tyrod Taylor will be your starting QB.

Not that he's terrible, but we aren't going to win a Super Bowl with him.
I get that. Tyrod has one of the lowest, if not the lowest INT percentages out there. He does not throw a lot of INTs and protects the ball. That said, I don't think he throws a lot of TDs either. Could the Chargers make the playoffs under Tyrod. I might see a wild card if everything went their way. But first they would have to win some games in the AFCW which is a challenge.

Super Bowl, Tyrod? It would have to be a Dilfer situation where the D carried him there.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Harry.
Why don't you use the other threads to try and start fights, or let anyone who might not know what your personal take on the team is?

If you post here, please find a way to do it without trying to insult people who did not abandon the team as you did?

if you want to give a counter opinion, please do so. If you want to just try and insult people, do it elsewhere please.

I'm gone.
Abandon the team? You should recheck who left who.
But thread troubadours adios amigos!

Reactions: handoverfist

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
What do you mean gone? You better not leave the forum mister! You still haven’t given your account of the Garden of Eden.
I think he is saying he will go to other threads.
If he leaves this forum I will drive to his house and sing Henry the Eighth outside his window until he logs back on.

Shouldn't take long, I can't carry a tune if you put it in a backpack for me.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
What do you mean gone? You better not leave the forum mister! You still haven’t given your account of the Garden of Eden.
yeah I hope he just means gone from the thread. Actually Balboa Stadium was sort of a Garden of Eden ....so me and Harry can enlighten the football fans re: that eden. I do believe having lived that is an element of the disdain we have for the NFL andit's ownersand commissioner we see now and it was just adding gas to thefire when spanos backstabbed us as he did. spanos knows NOTHING of that history, not even close. He does not deserve to own that franchise andnever did. Dumb Gene Klein soldto a dickhead.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
he looks like Larry English.

ripped like Tarzan...plays like Jane.
Not according to anyone who has watched him. The press on Murray is very good. Character wise, speed, ability to play sideline to sideline... I am not sure where you get the 'play like jane' stuff, but I have found no one that shares your take.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
This is a serious question: are the Chargers destined for the best defense and the worst offense this year? The only possible weakness I see in the defense is stopping the run, but with the offense I see two stud receivers, a china doll tight end, one decent RB who is really a 3rd down back, no real OL and a QB who can run but is questionable at best reading defenses.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
This is a serious question: are the Chargers destined for the best defense and the worst offense this year? The only possible weakness I see in the defense is stopping the run, but with the offense I see two stud receivers, a china doll tight end, one decent RB who is really a 3rd down back, no real OL and a QB who can run but is questionable at best reading defenses.
Agreed. I don't think anyone can guess at what they will be on the field. The D might be better at stopping the run. That is Murray's specialty, (their 2nd round pick). They also got the NT from the Ravens I believe in free agency that is known as a run stopper. I hope that tips the balance to the team being able to actually tackle an RB before he gets a cloud of dust and a TD.

I hope their speed will be able to keep up with KC, and the Raiders who seem to have gotten faster.

The O will go as far as the OL allows. Even with Tyre-fire.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Agreed. I don't think anyone can guess at what they will be on the field. The D might be better at stopping the run. That is Murray's specialty, (their 2nd round pick). They also got the NT from the Ravens I believe in free agency that is known as a run stopper. I hope that tips the balance to the team being able to actually tackle an RB before he gets a cloud of dust and a TD.

I hope their speed will be able to keep up with KC, and the Raiders who seem to have gotten faster.

The O will go as far as the OL allows. Even with Tyre-fire.
Murray didn't stop anybody from running all over Oklahoma these past couple seasons. I don't know that any of it was his fault, but I also know nobody, including Murray, stopped anybody. The OK D was improves the latest season over the previous one, but it still wasn't good relative to other major college football powers.

Oklahoma's recent success has been based solely on its offense. Using a first round pick on an Oklahoma defender would be like going to a Ruth's Cris Steak House and ordering a veggie burger.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
0-16

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Murray didn't stop anybody from running all over Oklahoma these past couple seasons. I don't know that any of it was his fault, but I also know nobody, including Murray, stopped anybody. The OK D was improves the latest season over the previous one, but it still wasn't good relative to other major college football powers.

Oklahoma's recent success has been based solely on its offense. Using a first round pick on an Oklahoma defender would be like going to a Ruth's Cris Steak House and ordering a veggie burger.
The numbers do not back up your statement.
The O was why they won games? If that were the case i woudl assume the scores would be close, both teams with high scores. Not so.
Oklahoma ranks 32nd in all colleges against the run. Not sure where you are getting your information but it does not look accurate.

Kenneth Murray in particular had 102 tackles, 69 of them solo. He had 17 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks and 4 passes defended. He led all Sooner defenders. The next closest defender has 75 tackles.

1. The defense is no longer a liability: When I made the same case for the Sooners to win it all a year ago, there was one obvious red flag: their defense. It was historically bad for a team vying for a national championship. That they even made it to the playoff with practically zero margin for error still baffles a year later. But that's not the case this time around. Oklahoma doesn't need to score every time its offense is on the field. In fact, anyone who's watched Oklahoma this year knows the defense has bailed out the offense on more than a few occasions this year.

Let's start with the numbers, as they're much better. Oklahoma ranks at or near the top of the Big 12 in the major defensive statistical categories after finishing at or near the bottom of those same categories a year ago. They're third in points per game (24.5) and yards per pass attempt (6.7) and fourth vs. the run (4 yards per rush). Most notably, they lead the conference in total defense (330.6 yards per game) after finishing dead last a year ago. What makes all of this even more impressive is that the Sooners are -7 in turnover margin on the year. Again, the defense has bailed out the offense more than most people probably realizes. Before anyone fires off their jokes, the Big 12 has been a vastly improved conference for defenses. Baylor and Iowa State have top-25 defenses and the Sooners really aren't that far behind. SP+ ranks Oklahoma with the 36th-best defense -- notably behind the other three playoff teams, but certainly good enough.

And with Oklahoma, "good enough" is a solid start. The offense is still one of college football's best, ranking first again in yards per play (8.15) while maintaining a top-10 scoring unit and ranking second overall by SP+. Now that the defense gives the other side a little more breathing room, there's not as much pressure to play perfectly all the time. And the offense still gets its chances. Oklahoma's defense ranks ninth nationally in getting off the field on third down. The job first-year defensive coordinator Alex Grinch has done with largely the same group of players from a year ago was truly Broyles Award-worthy.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The numbers do not back up your statement.
The O was why they won games? If that were the case i woudl assume the scores would be close, both teams with high scores. Not so.
Oklahoma ranks 32nd in all colleges against the run. Not sure where you are getting your information but it does not look accurate.

Kenneth Murray in particular had 102 tackles, 69 of them solo. He had 17 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks and 4 passes defended. He led all Sooner defenders. The next closest defender has 75 tackles.

Murray made a lot of tackles - true. He had even more the year before. The defense still sucked for a college of that level. The offense was the reason for the team making the Top 4 for a few years' straight. The defense was the reason for their failure in the semifinals. LSU and Alabama used and abused Oklahoma's D.

Look at the run rankings again. Don't look at overall rankings; that is based on total yards. Oklahoma didn't face a lot of runs in games their offense was putting up 70 on some nurses college so overall rankings mean nothing. Look at the rankings for yards per rush. I am sure Oklahoma's D is pretty far down the list - nowhere near the other major college football teams.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
Regardless of Murray, he was not the entire Defense, just one man on a team of players. Oklahoma did not lose because of him alone. Now, if he can work in tandem with the others on this Chargers squad, he can only make it stronger and better. IMHO

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Murray made a lot of tackles - true. He had even more the year before. The defense still sucked for a college of that level. The offense was the reason for the team making the Top 4 for a few years' straight. The defense was the reason for their failure in the semifinals. LSU and Alabama used and abused Oklahoma's D.

Look at the run rankings again. Don't look at overall rankings; that is based on total yards. Oklahoma didn't face a lot of runs in games their offense was putting up 70 on some nurses college so overall rankings mean nothing. Look at the rankings for yards per rush. I am sure Oklahoma's D is pretty far down the list - nowhere near the other major college football teams.
he’s going to a great place. He should be able to make a ton of tackles once the rb gets through the line into the secondary

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl