2019 Chargers Thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Gordon to wait till weeks 6-8.

Link....http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001051750/article/chargers-rb-melvin-gordon-plans-to-miss-6-or-8-weeks

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
There are an ungodly number of commercials on NFL games. Even if I wanted to watch, I wouldn’t,t.
Cell carriers, beer, pizza, maybe insurance. Enough. Too many.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
When drafted, some scouts said he was more a big receiver than a traditional tight end.
Right after him, Myles Jack and Chris Jones of KC.

And 12 spots later at #47, Michael Thomas, Saints.

Henry is an UFA in 2020 so, color him gone.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He’s a China Doll.
So Spanos. Those 2 guys cannot stay healthy......agree they are China Dolls. Potential great players but always hurt. How many chugger players have fit that category? Who was the cornerback who never played? Already forgot the dude's name. Melvin Gordon hurt a lot too. Couldn't happen to a nicer owner.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I really wanted to draft Myles Jack at that spot. Glad they didn’t.
yeah that guy looked to be outrageous last Sunday. Ah well all teams regret draft picks in the first round when a demon is taken after them. I always think of Larry English and Clay Matthews lolololol. But look where Joe Montana and Tom Brady were selected. Dan Marino. On and on and on. Drafts can make GM's and scouts look silly in retrospect. Even with all the science/combine stuff they do now, it's still a crapshoot much of the time.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
yeah that guy looked to be outrageous last Sunday. Ah well all teams regret draft picks in the first round when a demon is taken after them. I always think of Larry English and Clay Matthews lolololol. But look where Joe Montana and Tom Brady were selected. Dan Marino. On and on and on. Drafts can make GM's and scouts look silly in retrospect. Even with all the science/combine stuff they do now, it's still a crapshoot much of the time.
The Patriots since 2009 have traded away three first round picks, lost one to Deflategate. Chandler Jones was traded, Easley was cut, then a Ram, now a free agent, Brown is with the Saints. Solder retired, McCourty All Pro, same for Hightower, Wynn injured last year now starting left tackle, Sony Michael great running back, Harry last year no. 1, currently on IR.

And they win some big games. Some really, really big games.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The Patriots since 2009 have traded away three first round picks, lost one to Deflategate. Chandler Jones was traded, Easley was cut, then a Ram, now a free agent, Brown is with the Saints. Solder retired, McCourty All Pro, same for Hightower, Wynn injured last year now starting left tackle, Sony Michael great running back, Harry last year no. 1, currently on IR.

And they win some big games. Some really, really big games.
yeah but there's a difference between the patriots #1 bombing and the chuggers #1 bombing.....the patriots always draft 32nd LOLOLOL.

RamAirVA

Curse and Damn You Spanos!
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
So Spanos. Those 2 guys cannot stay healthy......agree they are China Dolls. Potential great players but always hurt. How many chugger players have fit that category? Who was the cornerback who never played? Already forgot the dude's name. Melvin Gordon hurt a lot too. Couldn't happen to a nicer owner.
Jason Verrett, now with the 49ers, at least until his next IR stint...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Jason Verrett, now with the 49ers, at least until his next IR stint...
yup that's the guy....so is he starting and playing well? If he's all-pro and tearing it up I could care less and would even enjoy the spanos humiliation of it all lolz.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
yeah but there's a difference between the patriots #1 bombing and the chuggers #1 bombing.....the patriots always draft 32nd LOLOLOL.
From 2010-2019

2004 1 Eli Manning* QB Mississippi
2005 12 Shawne Merriman † LB Maryland
28 Luis Castillo DE Northwestern
2006 19 Antonio Cromartie † DB Florida State
2007 30 Craig Davis WR LSU
2008 27 Antoine Cason DB Arizona
2009 16 Larry English LB Northern Illinois
2010 12 Ryan Mathews † RB Fresno State
2011 18 Corey Liuget DT Illinois
2012 18 Melvin Ingram † DE South Carolina
2013 11 D. J. Fluker OL Alabama
2014 25 Jason Verrett † CB TCU
2015 15 Melvin Gordon † RB Wisconsin
2016 3 Joey Bosa † DE Ohio State
2017 7 Mike Williams WR Clemson
2018 17 Derwin James † S Florida State
2019 28 Jerry Tillery DT Notre Dame

Remarkable what Rivers has done. Let's see.. still on team...five......one in transition (Gordon)...10 not on team....two currently hurt...etc. etc. No All Pros (including Rivers). Front office and ownership are simply not very good. To be kind.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
From 2010-2019

Remarkable what Rivers has done. Let's see.. still on team...five......one in transition (Gordon)...10 not on team....two currently hurt...etc. etc. No All Pros (including Rivers). Front office and ownership are simply not very good. To be kind.
Even the guys that ARE very good #1 talent are china dolls and often hurt. The poster child for that ( although there are many such as Verrett) was Ryan Matthews who during his injury plagued career suffered TWO broken clavicles in one season. That HAS to be an NFL record for on the field injuries, certainly possible in major auto vehicular trauma , but football???? LMAO.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Even the guys that ARE very good #1 talent are china dolls and often hurt. The poster child for that ( although there are many such as Verrett) was Ryan Matthews who during his injury plagued career suffered TWO broken clavicles in one season. That HAS to be an NFL record for on the field injuries, certainly possible in major auto vehicular trauma , but football???? LMAO.
Well Ty Detmer suffered two separated shoulders in the same game (though it was college football and not the NFL):

A few weeks later, Detmer was punished again, this time in the Holiday Bowl by the Texas A&M Aggies, who separated one of the quarterback's shoulders in the first half — an injury treated by an injection of painkiller — and then, after he ran back on the field, separated the other, requiring a screw in his collarbone and surgery on his throwing shoulder.”

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Well Ty Detmer suffered two separated shoulders in the same game (though it was college football and not the NFL):

A few weeks later, Detmer was punished again, this time in the Holiday Bowl by the Texas A&M Aggies, who separated one of the quarterback's shoulders in the first half — an injury treated by an injection of painkiller — and then, after he ran back on the field, separated the other, requiring a screw in his collarbone and surgery on his throwing shoulder.”
separated shoulders is one thing, but 2 broken clavicles has to take the cake. And Ryan Matthews got hurt just at the perfec time to screw the spanii in McCoy's first year....right before going to DEN for the playoff game, this time with a knee injury IIRC. Effed the team royally. They weren't the same team without him, the one that controlled the clock in DEN and kept Peyton Manning on the sidelines. That's the kind of players they select....the ones that screw the team royally and aren't around when needed. That guy ran too upright and remember the knock on him is he couldn't figure out how to hit the hole (LT: "HIT THAT HOLE" lolz) so he ran upright into crowds and got rolled up on from behind and otherwise hammered constantly. Wasted pick.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
separated shoulders is one thing, but 2 broken clavicles has to take the cake. And Ryan Matthews got hurt just at the perfec time to screw the spanii in McCoy's first year....right before going to DEN for the playoff game, this time with a knee injury IIRC. Effed the team royally. They weren't the same team without him, the one that controlled the clock in DEN and kept Peyton Manning on the sidelines. That's the kind of players they select....the ones that screw the team royally and aren't around when needed. That guy ran too upright and remember the knock on him is he couldn't figure out how to hit the hole (LT: "HIT THAT HOLE" lolz) so he ran upright into crowds and got rolled up on from behind and otherwise hammered constantly. Wasted pick.
Would it not be great to have Gilly as a color commentator on TV NFL football broadcasts?

Damn, I'd watch and listen.
“That guy is a China doll out there....and I'm not talking about his 2AM pickup last night down at Chico's near LAX....
I think he's sorta a good player...just not at football....runs like a door on wheels.”

Last edited:

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
From 2010-2019

Hmmm... No all pros? You sure about that, or is this more wishful pining?

2018, All pro Derwin James, rookie, Los Angeles Chargers.
(also Keenan Allen, but he is not on your list above)

2017 All pro Keenan Allen, Good value from his draft round huh?
Hunter Henry and Casey Hayward also join KA13. Interesting how the picture changes when you dont try and cherry pick incorrectly.

2016 All pro Casey Haward

2014 Turek Williams and Eric Weddle

2013 Eric Weddle and PHILIP FUCKING RIVERS, whom I believe you mentioned as never being an all pro, did you not? Fact check your posts Harry, c'mon your better than this arent you?

2012, 2011 Eric Weddle

2010, Eric Weddle, Antonio Garay, Antonio Gates

2009, Kassim Osgood, Nate Kaeding, Kris Dielman, Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson, PHILIP FUCKING RIVERS, <-- Didnt you say "No All Pros (including Rivers)"... You might have been incorrect, again...

2008, Kris Dielman

2007, Kassim Osgood, Antonio Cormartie, <-- didnt you say he never was an all pro? Shawne Merriman <-- Didnt you say he was not an all pro? Lorenzo Neal, Ladainian Tomlinson....

2006, Nate Kaeding, Shawne Merriman <-- Didnt you say he was not an all pro? Jamal 'The Wall' Williams, Antonio Gates, Lorenzo Neal, Ladainian Tomlinson

2005, Hanik Milligan, Shawne Merriman <-- Didnt you say he was not an all pro? Jamal 'The Wall' Williams, Antonio Gates, Lorenzo Neal, Ladainian Tomlinson

2004, Antonio Gates, Donnie Edwards, Jamal 'The Wall' Williams, Ladainian Tomlinson

I cant tell if your posts are incredibly funny or tragically sad.
You are so tore up over the Chargers moving that they are a bigger part of your life now, than when you rooted for them, up to and including the teams you now try to tear down, acting like you are some bad ass hater all along.
I mean that is just fake, you are lying to yourself. You clearly do not check what you are posting because most of the time you are wildly incorrect. In addition, to try and cheery pick a few draft choices to say 'look at what a bad team we had' makes it look like you are building a interview reel for being a new anchor at CNN or Fox...
If you have to make up so much shit to hate the Chargers, then you are just fooling yourself, and that is definitely tragically sad.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I think he meant currently on the roster. But carry on :D
If that is the case the post was terrible!

"Let me start out by posting draft picks since 2004, then at the end, roll things back to the current roster and hope no one notices, because I will give me an angle when I am called on my crappy posts...":)

Even so.
Derwin James. On the roster
Philip FUCKING Rivers. On the roster

So yeah, no better, but thanks for trying to save a fellow hater... :whistling::laugh: