2019 Chargers Thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Report: Eagles proposed Gordon-Howard swap to Chargers

The Philadelphia Eagles proposed a trade to the Los Angeles Chargers that would have seen running backs Melvin Gordon and Jordan Howard switch teams, according to Albert Breer of The MMQB.

Los Angeles declined the offer, which also included the teams switching mid-round draft picks and the Chargers eating salary, Breer added.

It's unclear if the Eagles were the team that reportedly had preliminary discussions with the Chargers about a Gordon deal.

Gordon appears set to skip the beginning of the regular season while holding out for a new contract. The Chargers, however, told the running back they're done negotiating with him until the end of the 2019 campaign.

The Bolts recently gave Gordon, who's entering the fifth and final season of his rookie contract, permission to seek a trade.

Meanwhile, Howard was acquired by the Eagles in a trade with the Chicago Bears in March. The former fifth-round pick is entering the final year of his rookie pact as well.

Howard rushed for 935 yards and nine touchdowns last season and is expected to lead a backfield in Philly that also includes rookie Miles Sanders and veteran Darren Sproles.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Report: Eagles proposed Gordon-Howard swap to Chargers

The Philadelphia Eagles proposed a trade to the Los Angeles Chargers that would have seen running backs Melvin Gordon and Jordan Howard switch teams, according to Albert Breer of The MMQB.

Los Angeles declined the offer, which also included the teams switching mid-round draft picks and the Chargers eating salary, Breer added.

It's unclear if the Eagles were the team that reportedly had preliminary discussions with the Chargers about a Gordon deal.

Gordon appears set to skip the beginning of the regular season while holding out for a new contract. The Chargers, however, told the running back they're done negotiating with him until the end of the 2019 campaign.

The Bolts recently gave Gordon, who's entering the fifth and final season of his rookie contract, permission to seek a trade.

Meanwhile, Howard was acquired by the Eagles in a trade with the Chicago Bears in March. The former fifth-round pick is entering the final year of his rookie pact as well.

Howard rushed for 935 yards and nine touchdowns last season and is expected to lead a backfield in Philly that also includes rookie Miles Sanders and veteran Darren Sproles.
Fools shoulda jumped on that. Par for the course.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Fools shoulda jumped on that. Par for the course.
hopefully they end up with nothing......Melvin needs to hold out til week 10 then just dog it the rest of the season. THAT is his leverage.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
hopefully they end up with nothing......Melvin needs to hold out til week 10 then just dog it the rest of the season. THAT is his leverage.
Knowing those fools that’s exactly how it’s gonna turn out. Then KC signs him to a lucrative deal, cementing their dynasty.

Reactions: ThunderHorse17

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

lol
Chargers players appear not play for the money. Okay.
Maybe Gordon is just a wee bit smarter.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
The projected RB Franchise Tag for next year was $12,509,000 before Elliott's new deal.

The DE Franchise Tag is projected to be $19,317,000.
So the DE tag for 2020 is $ 19.3 million. Hmmm, Bosa is scheduled for $15.9 million.
Well, playing for Deano is worth $3.6 million.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I pulled the numbers from Over The Cap website. I did a rough calculation with Zeks's now 15M/year contract and that came to 14,063,000.
Can you tell us how some teams, eg Rams, Cowboys, can sign players to these huge extensions and other teams
can't (or won't).
Maybe guaranteed money or bonus can be paid by the ownership vs all of it coming from yearly salary caps.?

I do think owners like Kroenke don't have a “the team is my only revenue” philosophy like some others.

And I do think the Spanni will be cutting it close if they to borrow and have a bank to make their annual relocation fees.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Can you tell us how some teams, eg Rams, Cowboys, can sign players to these huge extensions and other teams
can't (or won't).
Maybe guaranteed money or bonus can be paid by the ownership vs all of it coming from yearly salary caps.?

I do think owners like Kroenke don't have a “the team is my only revenue” philosophy like some others.

And I do think the Spanni will be cutting it close if they to borrow and have a bank to make their annual relocation fees.
I think bonuses paid up front don’t count against the cap until you release them.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
I saw this headline
and thought, "Man, I haven't heard such silly, irrational homer bloviation since the ChairCrusher!"
I miss that guy... :roflmao:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I saw this headline
and thought, "Man, I haven't heard such silly, irrational homer bloviation since the ChairCrusher!"
“Chargers don't need Melvin Gordon to fantasy winning the AFC West”

Ps. They're going to miss Tyree Williams.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I saw this headline
Lolz, indeed that article sounded like a closing statement to the jury by a guy who knows he lost the case and his client is guilty as hell. We may not see Pinocchio around here again as long as Patrick Mahomes remains the league mvp lolz. Upon further consideration perhaps the chain in desperation after having been talking to the deaf ears of nearly every living creature on earth and received with the same consternation as on this forum, made the ill advised attempt to convince one of your grizzly bears of the truth of such nonsense . Likely said bear had much less patience than hunger:eek::p:D

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Tyree Hill... $55 million.....4th season......last year 12 touchdowns.
Melvin Gordon......n/a........5th season ....last year 14 touchdowns ( in 12 games)

Yeah, them Charger fans know who's worth it.

Flash...please move on.

Kwak

May 25, 2006
I think bonuses paid up front don’t count against the cap until you release them.
Sort of. The Bonus paid up front is prorated over the contract years.

Say for example the contract is for 6 years, and the last year is an option year.
They would hand out a large portion of the bonus in the first year, with the first year salary part being small so the cap hit is not a monster. The bonus portion would be spread out over the life of the contract, minus the option year (so 5 years).
Then then the rest of the bonus/guaranteed money would be given in roster bonuses is subsequent years, and each time that happens the bonus is spread across the remaining years as cap hits.
Usually the option year is a big salary year and is never paid. So a big chunk of the option year is usually not paid out, and the contract is renegotiated or the player is cut with no cap hit since salaries only affect the cap if they are paid.
The Guaranteed money in the contract is paid no matter what and is usually handed out in the first few years of the contract, say years 1-3.
Now if they release the player early, before the start of the season in year 3, bounses paid out previously that were spread out into the cap for years 4 and 5 accelerate to year 3 as a big cap hit and that becomes what is called "Dead money in the Cap".

Here is Zeke's contract so you can see how it is structured. https://overthecap.com/player/ezekiel-elliott/4717/

With regards to the LAC and Spanni, they are just cheap bastards.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
With regards to the LAC and Spanni, they are just cheap bastards.

That's what I thought.

Ps. I think Chargers will be offered a third rounder for MG post the first game of season (maybe even from the Colts).
But if not taken, teams will simply wait the year out for MG to be available.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Indy fans are not travelers I suppose....plenty of seats from $60-80 dollars.
Are Carson Charger fans hiding again?

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Okay Charger Faithful, explain for me.

Atlanta and Pro-Bowl WR Julio Jones just reached agreement on a landmark three-year, $66 million extension that includes $66 million guaranteed - $64 million of which is due at signing, sources tell @

Your Super Bowl bound, HOF quarterback is scheduled to make $16 million this year, in the last year
of his contract, no extension. Now there is a WR.....that's WR, not a QB.....who is making $22 million guaranteed.

Now, does that seem right to you? Or is it simply a brilliant front office?

Reactions: Fender57