2017 Head Coach Candidates

SuperCharger92

Winners Win
Sep 25, 2011
Boston, Massachuesetts
Mike McCoy has a career record of 26-32, a .448 winning percentage.

Philip Rivers has spent 10 years with Norv Turner and Mike McCoy as his head coach. I truly believe, it is time we hire somebody with a history of success as a coordinator, assistant coach or head coach.

Leave your candidates here, for the love of Philip.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Philip Rivers has spent 10 years with Norv Turner and Mike McCoy as his head coach. I truly believe, it is time we hire somebody with a history of success as a coordinator, assistant coach or head coach.

Norv had a history of success as a coordinator, so I don't think a history of success as a coordinator is what you are looking for.

Jesse Kemp

BoltTalker
Dec 25, 2013
I really wouldn't be surprised if it was Josh McDaniels. Both he, and Telesco were teammates at John Carroll and both played at Wide Receiver.
At least one could hope in that situation that McDaniels had learned from all the mistakes of his first go round.

M

matilack

At least one could hope in that situation that McDaniels had learned from all the mistakes of his first go round.
I can't stand that little rat in his mock cutoff hoodie. Not convinced he's a leader any more than MeekMike is, or any other Bellichick protege for that matter.

SuperCharger92

Winners Win
Sep 25, 2011
Boston, Massachuesetts
I can't stand that little rat in his mock cutoff hoodie. Not convinced he's a leader any more than MeekMike is, or any other Bellichick protege for that matter.
I'll take a coordinator who knows what a winning culture looks like. McCoy came from a conservative, mediocre culture, being under John Fox for so many years.

SDRaiderH8er

Apr 27, 2006

If the Spanos' wanted to win we would have had some good coaches here in San Diego. But because they are dollar driven and not success driven we are going to get the coaches that are cheap to pay. Good coaches get better paychecks.

Reactions: gonzokrb

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015
I really wouldn't be surprised if it was Josh McDaniels. Both he, and Telesco were teammates at John Carroll and both played at Wide Receiver.
Oh, that's just what we need, that little jackass from the Pats that couldn't coach his way out of his diapers in Denver.

Chaincrusher

BoltTalker
Apr 8, 2015
I think the poor candidates raised in this thread so far underscores the difficulty in successfully replacing a head coach. There are a lot of choices, but not a lot of upgrades. It looks like replacing mediocre with mediocre or worse with the candidates named so far.

Jesse Kemp

BoltTalker
Dec 25, 2013
I think the poor candidates raised in this thread so far underscores the difficulty in successfully replacing a head coach. There are a lot of choices, but not a lot of upgrades. It looks like replacing mediocre with mediocre or worse with the candidates named so far.
No one cares what you think. I guess with the exception that if you really hate one guy in particular we can look out for him to be super successful in the near future.

Boltz_from_Oz

BoltTalker
Jul 8, 2014
Down Under
I'd throw a bucket load of money at Jim Harbaugh. Proven success in a short amount of time. Don't care if he rubs people the wrong way and blows it all up within 3 years. He's just as likely to have gotten us to the Superbowl within that time anyway. Rivers likely only has 3 good years left in him.

He has a fire in him that rubs off on all his teams. Reckon Rivers and JH would gel completely. Former player and ex SDSU coach as well, so he knows the city. I also think, that he thinks he has unfinished business in the NFL. Right coach, with the right attitude, with the right QB, with a short window of opportunity. It all makes sense to me.

Please note the first sentence is what I'D do. Not what the cheapskate Spani would do.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I'd throw a bucket load of money at Jim Harbaugh. Proven success in a short amount of time. Don't care if he rubs people the wrong way and blows it all up within 3 years. He's just as likely to have gotten us to the Superbowl within that time anyway. Rivers likely only has 3 good years left in him.

He has a fire in him that rubs off on all his teams. Reckon Rivers and JH would gel completely. Former player and ex SDSU coach as well, so he knows the city. I also think, that he thinks he has unfinished business in the NFL. Right coach, with the right attitude, with the right QB, with a short window of opportunity. It all makes sense to me.

Please note the first sentence is what I'D do. Not what the cheapskate Spani would do.
I'm down with either Harbaugh as our coach.

Bruce Daniel

BoltTalker
Feb 28, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
I like Haley and McDaniels, although I honestly doubt McDaniels would leave his New England job for our head coaching job. I think he has his sights set on a big market job. For those that bash him, keep in mind how young he was in Denver. I'd give him another shot.
As for a name that hasn't been mentioned, how about Jim Bob Cooter? That's a real name/person for those that have never heard of him

M

matilack

Guys who will likely come up as options...

Sean McDermott (Panthers)
Teryl Austin (Lions)
Matt Patricia (Patriots)
Kyle Shanahan (Falcons)
Rex Ryan (Bills)
Josh McDaniels (Patriots)
Tom Herman (U of Houston)
David Shaw (Stanford)
Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M)

LT-Express

Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06'
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 4, 2006
CIncinnati, OH
I like Haley and McDaniels, although I honestly doubt McDaniels would leave his New England job for our head coaching job. I think he has his sights set on a big market job. For those that bash him, keep in mind how young he was in Denver. I'd give him another shot.
As for a name that hasn't been mentioned, how about Jim Bob ******? That's a real name/person for those that have never heard of him
Pass on jim bob. I don't want gruden an the rest of the announcers saying his name 400 times a game.

LT-Express

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 4, 2006
CIncinnati, OH

Teryl Austin (Lions)
Matt Patricia (Patriots)
Kyle Shanahan (Falcons)
Rex Ryan (Bills)
David Shaw (Stanford)
Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M)
As much as I like what Herman has done, I think he is just too green, and would prefer someone with a little more experience as a HC. Just my opinion.

At this point though I welcome a change and really don't give a damn who it is.

LT-Express

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 4, 2006
CIncinnati, OH

Teryl Austin (Lions)
Matt Patricia (Patriots)
Kyle Shanahan (Falcons)
Rex Ryan (Bills)
David Shaw (Stanford)
Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M)
You may want to add George Edwards to the list of names that may come up.

Jesse Kemp

BoltTalker
Dec 25, 2013
I presume that you're referring to another "Jim Schwartz,"

(lesser known than the 29-51 train wreck HC of '09 to '13)
In general I'm attracted to the idea a coach who has been through it once by now and has had some measure of success. Someone who has had the chance to make their mistakes and learn from them. So Haley and Schwartz come to mind.